covfrrider

Good point!
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Re: stuck truck on Mt. Cameron

Post by KentonB »

gdthomas wrote:So how is single life treating you?
Eh... I'm married now... to someone else. LOL
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I was up on the Decalibron today for the 9/11 memorial hike for the fallen firefighters. Looks like the truck has been removed. The only thing remaining are deep tire ruts where the truck was stuck.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

The only thing remaining are deep tire ruts where the truck was stuck.
-Sad. It's bad enough this happened in the first place, but to leave a scar on the mountains bothers me. I'd be interested to know the cost of the removal. Can anyone chime in about my original proposed solution? Can't someone come up with a way to remove vehicles that minimizes the impact? So where are we at now that the vehicle's gone? Is this something CFI could deem a project for cleanup next summer? I'd be in to help. Anyone else? Take it a step further...
After it's restored can or should this be closed to vehicles? A lot of people have put a lot of time and effort to get access to these mountains. For all of you who were involved- thank you for your efforts.

Bill- any thoughts here?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
mtgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Along with the tire ruts, there were scraps of parts from a vehicle laying around nearby - I would assume it was from the stuck truck. I wasn't quite strong enough to carry down what appeared to be an entire bumper........
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

mtgirl wrote:Along with the tire ruts, there were scraps of parts from a vehicle laying around nearby - I would assume it was from the stuck truck. I wasn't quite strong enough to carry down what appeared to be an entire bumper........

no pics?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

Hunter wrote:
The only thing remaining are deep tire ruts where the truck was stuck.
-Sad. It's bad enough this happened in the first place, but to leave a scar on the mountains bothers me. I'd be interested to know the cost of the removal. Can anyone chime in about my original proposed solution? Can't someone come up with a way to remove vehicles that minimizes the impact? So where are we at now that the vehicle's gone? Is this something CFI could deem a project for cleanup next summer? I'd be in to help. Anyone else? Take it a step further...
After it's restored can or should this be closed to vehicles? A lot of people have put a lot of time and effort to get access to these mountains. For all of you who were involved- thank you for your efforts.

Bill- any thoughts here?
Seriously... this is Cameron we're talking about. I'm not condoning him driving up there, but I'm sure glad I've checked that gravel pile off of my list.
mtgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

larkinrx2 wrote:
mtgirl wrote:Along with the tire ruts, there were scraps of parts from a vehicle laying around nearby - I would assume it was from the stuck truck. I wasn't quite strong enough to carry down what appeared to be an entire bumper........

no pics?
No pics sorry......it was my third trip on those rock heaps. Didn't pull out the camera very much....
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Dag nab it. I was hoping it'd stay there for a while. Now my wife and I may never be able to check "break into an abandoned car at 14,000 feet, make love in a wild frenzy and jump to safety before the car rolls down the mountain" off of our bucket lists.

Anyone managed to get stuck on KC Ave. yet?
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
waller19
14ers: 23  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waller19 »

Kojones wrote:
perryw wrote:At the very least, I hope the passing hikers will sign their names on the truck with a Sharpie.
I was thinking the same thing! Glad you posted it. I'll hike up there today and affix a sharpie on a string hanging from the side mirror.

Kojones
+1 yes! do ittt! hahah
hurdles
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hurdles »

It just amzes me what people will do and what for....there are quadzillion places to go 4-wheeling but some people have to push it. I guess if yo are too lazy to hike it, drive it..... :lol: Then get stuck :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
Richard L. Evans
JerryB
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JerryB »

Bump