Petition to rename Kit Carson

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only

Do you agree that Kit Carson should be renamed Mount Crestone?

Yes - rename it!
6%
No - do not rename it!
94%

Total votes: 281
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Petition to rename Kit Carson

Post by susanjoypaul »

It came to my attention this summer that there's a petition to rename "Kit Carson" to "Mount Crestone." I've been meaning to put up my own petition, *against* the renaming, but just haven't gotten around to it. I understand why the current name carries bad connotations for many, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to change it!

Anyway, I just got this message from a friend:
  • Two of the three Saguache County Commissioners have voted to recommend changing the name of Kit Carson so the official position of Saguache County is to change the name. The BGN (US Board on Geographic Names) may vote on the name change in early December. If you are going to put up a petition, it needs to be very soon.
Does anyone want to take this on? Let me know. If not, I'll try to find the time to do it. If someone else does it, I will be the first to sign it!

Here's the petition in favor of changing the name:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/mount-crestone.html
Last edited by susanjoypaul on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
theo9805
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Petition to rename Kit Carson

Post by theo9805 »

I want it to stay Kit Carson... There are enough Crestones out there.

edit: after reading all this crap and how much of an uproar you guys have over changing the name of a mound of dirt and rock, i'd like it changed just to spite you all. this is ridiculous. ya in all reality it shouldn't be changed, but holy crap. putting so much time and effort to fight this? get a life. especially those of you that have been there once in your life in order to check it off your list. i don't care what their reasons are for wanting to change it. you're calling them the PC police and hypersensitive - take a look in the mirror.
Last edited by theo9805 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

I agree too many crestones...

The only Peak I'd like to see renamed is Meeker...but that is personal
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

So if I am reading that petition correctly one would be named Mount Crestone, the other Crestone Peak... Yeah that won't cause confusion, people can't even get Mount Quandary / Quandary Peak right...

I don't know where to begin drafting a petition, but I would certainly sign it.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

susanjoypaul wrote:I understand why the current name carries bad connotations for many, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to change it!
Why does the current name carry bad connotations? I'm not sure I'm aware of any (unless you're referring to historical events involving Kit Carson)....
susanjoypaul wrote:Does anyone want to take this on? Let me know. If not, I'll try to find the time to do it. If someone else does it, I will be the first to sign it!
I'd be in favor of keeping the current name and will sign a counter-petition if one is drafted.
Last edited by tmathews on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

They should rename it Sheep Mountain, we could always use another Sheep Mountain in this state. And while were at it, can we rename Willow Creek to Clear Creek? Willow is just too confusing. :P
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Chicago Transplant wrote:They should rename it Sheep Mountain, we could always use another Sheep Mountain in this state. And while were at it, can we rename Willow Creek to Clear Creek? Willow is just too confusing. :P
How about Grizzly Peak?? :mrgreen:
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

tmathews wrote: How about Grizzly Peak??
Was thinking the same thing lol
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Kit was a broad-based adventurer: trapper, soldier, government official.
At times he fought against Mexico and Indians, probably incurring 21st century political incorrectness :roll:
He married into and lived with all three ethnic groups.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Carson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

Fricking ridiculous. I'll sign a counter petition!!!
I don't care that you Tele.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

susanjoypaul wrote:I understand why the current name carries bad connotations for many, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to change it!
Kit Carson was a genocidal assshole who marched an entire tribe hundreds of miles to a concentration camp, killing many along the way, nearly destroying a whole culture.
While that may qualify him for America's highest offices these days, I agree wholeheartedly with Susan.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Dozer
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dozer »

I'd agree that Kit Carson could be offensive to some (ask any Navajo), but if we're going to change it, we need to do a few more things:

Change any city named after Columbus.
Take Andrew Jackson off the $20.
Rename anything named after Custer, Sherman, Sheridan......etc.

Seriously, once we start down this path, where does it stop?
"How can you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?" --The Dude

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." --Yogi Berra