Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Our Portable Hot Tub for 14k feet.

Post by Bean »

MountainFever wrote:The WATER was 30 degrees at kite lake.
No it wasn't.
MountainFever wrote:First hot tub at 12k feet in the USA
Are you sure about that?
MountainFever wrote:It works at 12k feet it works at 14k feet.
Not necessarily. It takes significantly more energy to melt ice than it takes to warm water from 32F to 100F, among other issues.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Bean wrote:
Are you sure about that?
That's too bad, i drove my stretched limo (with hot tub in the back) up to pikes peak the other day...

this thread is getting good :D
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

ajkagy wrote:
Bean wrote:
Are you sure about that?
That's too bad, i drove my stretched limo (with hot tub in the back) up to pikes peak the other day...

this thread is getting good :D
loveland pass this weekend?

http://www.hot-tub-rental-denver.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

The water was 30 degrees? Wouldn't that be called, uh, ICE?
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

MountainFever wrote:I am 100% on all of that Bean. We had thermometers that checked the water / snow temp and it WAS 30 degrees.
You should submit your findings to nature, they would be very interested in knowing that this needs to be modified:

Alternatively, you could try calibrating your thermometers, or putting proper error bars on your measurements.
Last edited by crossfitter on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

MountainFever wrote:I love how everyone tries to find something AGAINST me everytime I post something. Why do you care and what does it matter to you??? I had a tub at 12k feet that we built...we heated water that was 30 degrees to 102 in 2 hours...and that is that.
The main purpose to your posts is to gain attention. If you don't see that or can't admit it, you are in denial. You claim to "just not give a f**k" yet you care enough to post your mountain endeavors and numerous pics of you without a shirt any chance you get.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Slow day on 14ers today. nothing going on.
MountainFever wrote:I love how everyone tries to find something AGAINST me everytime I post something.
Lots of Hooray for MtnFever posts in this thread!!
MUni Rider wrote:hat is great! Happy Birthday too!
George James wrote:Hilarious! Way to get after it MountainFever!
Lots of others.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

As I get older, I find the temptation to vocalize what I think is 'right' slowly diminishes, especially when it comes at the cost of another.

An improperly ISO-calibrated thermometer or 30 degree water. I don't care.

Well done!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I really don't get the negativity on this thread:

First, people are complaining about someone posting something on here that is boastful or self-promoting? Jeez, we really have to get over ourselves... MountainFever's put in print what many of us do on a monthly basis at the happy hours, and at the spring/winter/fall/geezer/widows-&-orpans/single&mingle gatherings sitting around the fire with six too many beers to drink... Do all the critics wish to see MountainFever fail or MountainFever's experiment fail? To what purpose - some sense of purity? "This activity doesn't belong in the mountains that I happen to love?" Please, there are plenty of glass houses and residents of such here on the boards on a regular basis... remember, we've carried kegs to the tops of mountains, much to the dismay of some who voiced their displeasure - did we care? Not in the least. Don't piss on our fun, we said. So she's having fun, and showing the first results to her friends and people who happen to be interested in the topic, or following her whim - how does this affect you and your quality of life?

Secondly, several people here are whipping out science, perhaps because it's part of their training in life, and trying to show off how they all know as much, or more, as Mandy has tried to prove here... again, to what purpose? Isn't that another, separate, self-promoting issue of "mine is bigger than yours?" Seems just as boastful to me as anything she's doing. I wait for the time when we talk architecture, I ASSUME I will kick 98% of all yer asses there... okay, I digressed. She, and her cohorts, have developed a plan that seems to have worked at 12K - is it a folly? Maybe so. But why the need to s**t all over her and this thread? Has she harmed you in any way?

As long as MountainFever and her friends LNT, I really couldn't care if she fails or succeeds. I support her for having fun as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Couldn't have said it better myself....well done
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Matt, as much as I agree with you on this thread, your inability to follow through when you say you are done with a thread/conversation/this whole board, is comical.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

MountainFever wrote:Pretty sure that is half of what 14ers.com is...its just a big bragging site on the trip reports.
I don't have an opinion one way or another regarding the hot tub. Sounds like something I would have found fun in my college age years.

But dont lump all TR's as "bragging". I dont read trip reports to see a persons accomplishments, I read them to gain information. Same reason I dont usually write/read trip reports on popular routes/mountains. I guarantee that if you had wrote something up about methods used for your hot tub shin-dig, information on what you did to build it, "nuts and bolts", or just something else besides "this is what we did" you would have gotten more positive feedback. Hell, I would have enjoyed reading it.

I think some people took your quick post on it the same as someone takes a one line trip report saying "We conquered Quandary Peak!!" I think thats why you are getting a bit of negative feedback.
wildlobo71 wrote:As long as MountainFever and her friends LNT, I really couldn't care if she fails or succeeds. I support her for having fun as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
Thumbs up on this. Nicely stated.

Just my opinion. BTW, I think I have a buyer for your hottub. It seems SurfNTurf is looking for a small pool in the Happy Hour thread.

-D