The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Our Portable Hot Tub for 14k feet.

Post by prestone818 »

wildlobo71 wrote:I really don't get the negativity on this thread:

First, people are complaining about someone posting something on here that is boastful or self-promoting? Jeez, we really have to get over ourselves... MountainFever's put in print what many of us do on a monthly basis at the happy hours, and at the spring/winter/fall/geezer/widows-&-orpans/single&mingle gatherings sitting around the fire with six too many beers to drink... Do all the critics wish to see MountainFever fail or MountainFever's experiment fail? To what purpose - some sense of purity? "This activity doesn't belong in the mountains that I happen to love?" Please, there are plenty of glass houses and residents of such here on the boards on a regular basis... remember, we've carried kegs to the tops of mountains, much to the dismay of some who voiced their displeasure - did we care? Not in the least. Don't piss on our fun, we said. So she's having fun, and showing the first results to her friends and people who happen to be interested in the topic, or following her whim - how does this affect you and your quality of life?

Secondly, several people here are whipping out science, perhaps because it's part of their training in life, and trying to show off how they all know as much, or more, as Mandy has tried to prove here... again, to what purpose? Isn't that another, separate, self-promoting issue of "mine is bigger than yours?" Seems just as boastful to me as anything she's doing. I wait for the time when we talk architecture, I ASSUME I will kick 98% of all yer asses there... okay, I digressed. She, and her cohorts, have developed a plan that seems to have worked at 12K - is it a folly? Maybe so. But why the need to s**t all over her and this thread? Has she harmed you in any way?

As long as MountainFever and her friends LNT, I really couldn't care if she fails or succeeds. I support her for having fun as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
i honestly didnt think the thread was that negative. there were a couple comments but maybe like 10% of them? hell of alot better than tgr would have treated her. dont see why you are crying about the lack of peace on the internet...
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

As long as MountainFever and her friends LNT, I really couldn't care if she fails or succeeds. I support her for having fun as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
Like the grill she left on the summit of Elbert for the entire summer?
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

kansas wrote:
Point noted; that wasn't lost on me as I wrote this. Doesn't negate my point above, IMO.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

kansas wrote:
Hmm. I may have to retract my support. I dislike garbage.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

prestone818 wrote:i honestly didnt think the thread was that negative. there were a couple comments but maybe like 10% of them? hell of alot better than tgr would have treated her. dont see why you are crying about the lack of peace on the internet...
I'm not crying about anything - reread objectively - this is the first time I've seen this thread, and it just comes off on a "haha you failed, you didn't get the hot tub to 14K, you don't know how to calculate things..." just petty small crap, and yeah - it was pretty negative - read it from MountainFever's position.

And what a relief to know we aren't the same as the TGR followers... sheep from another flock.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I've expressed my thoughts on this before and don't really want to get into it again. I just wanted to say I agree with Derek: it's not the action itself that bugs me, but the way it was blasted constantly over several mediums. The attacking responses to folks trying to offer sincere, helpful advice wasn't the best way to go about things, either. If the story was presented in a more informative, less LOOK-AT-ME light, I'd have been a big supporter.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

What the FOOK is all this bickering about????????????????????????? Are you freeking kidding me?

Nicely done Mandy! This is way cool. More pics somewhere??????
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Derek wrote:
kansas wrote:
Hmm. I may have to retract my support. I dislike garbage.
Don't study the parking job in the second photo too much then either, you won't like that much for LNT.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
jameseroni
Trip Reports (11)

Post by jameseroni »

I love these threads. Why? Because they make it so easy to discern ahead of time who will never be your climbing partner. Lord Helmut and Kansas, +1.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

Loved the initial idea, Mandy....Loved how you stuck with it after all the negative comments about it....Loved that even at 12K, you made it work....Loved that you chose safety and will set it up at 14K at a later date....Loved that you had one of the best birthdays a gal could possibly ask for....Loved that you'll have these memories....Loved that you know who your real friends are. I guess that is a lot of LOVE for one post! And when you DO get it up to 14K, I'm making 14K Hot Tub cookies for the occasion!! Forget the people that can't appreciate fun for what it is. We've got but one life to live....Live it and Love it!! Great job!!
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Cookiehiker wrote:Forget the people that can't appreciate fun for what it is. We've got but one life to live....Live it and Love it!! Great job!!
Kumbaya.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

jameseroni wrote:I love these threads. Why? Because they make it so easy to discern ahead of time who will never be your climbing partner. Lord Helmut and Kansas, +1.
You are right about that....you're not one of them
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"