This forum is read-only
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Hot Tub on Mt. Democrat

Post by Shawnee Bob »

This thread = LULZ.

Have a hot tub good time on the summit, just be sure to pack it out. LNT.

And lastly, 14er fight night sounds awesome!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TrailKid
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TrailKid »

Deuce, all people seem to do is self promote. Tho I'm new, Its part of what these forums seem to be all about. The gatherings I've heard are routinely "how many 14ers have you done?""well I dont hang around much less than class 4" "check out my picks from capitol awesome right?" whatever people like to share. some more than others. If your just looking for trip reports then I'd recommend not hanging around in the general mountaineering threads. And to clarify the 9 news "promotion" they tried to contact her through a friend who shared about the hot tub and when they couldn't get ahold of her they used her youtube video and made a story based on what they thought they had. And then when she stated that the beta was wrong good-ole Fox news contacted her and clarified. And..... the 14ers usage was first a group invite to see who was interested and wanted to dedicate themselves to the project. Not like she's collecting money on 14ers responses towards personal income. But have your opinion respectfully.

prestone-thanks for the advice
Keif-the bare flesh tends to be the moonshine trademark which I guess you've missed out on and the rest is an opinion but I can explain it to you during happy hour at the Rock if you need me too.
Dr.No reading is kind of the other part of what forums are all about.
BOB -This thread is Hilarious and totally Agreed
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I'm a bit torn on this issue. In many ways I'm inclined to say "live and let live", and I'm generally intrigued by at least mildly eccentric people (most of my friends are a bit weird, and I don't mind that in the least). As such, this idea does come across as kind of fun and interesting. On the other hand, I'm not sure why the media was brought into it in the first place, if it was merely supposed to be a fun thing among climbers on this site. It seems like media involvement could turn a goof-ball experiment into a true mountain circus. More importantly, I'm not sure that staging a hot tub party on a national forest service 14'er summit is very respectful to other users of that public land (of course, a trip up Culebra or some other privately owned peak -- with the owner's permission -- could eliminate that concern). There's a time and a place for everything, and the vast majority of backcountry users I know are not interested in exploring the "club scene" in the wilderness. But, I still kinda want to witness this event firsthand, just because it is such an off-the-wall idea.

MountainFever wrote:Not even going to read this thread. All I have to say is 9 news was wrong...and the real story was done on Fox21. If you actually listen to their story they didn't even call me and ask if they could air it...it was NOT solar powered and the "Colorado school of mine" had absolutely nothing to do with it. One last thing. This tub WILL BE on the top of a 14er...and I don't care what anyone says about it! :) You all have a wonderful day!!! I'm out!
Well, I'll definitely give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. 9skews has been screwing up stories that I've been professionally involved in for nearly a decade now. I never realized how poorly researched their stories were until I started doing my current job. These days I simply watch the news so that I know that something happened. I later make an effort to figure out exactly what happened, if I'm so inclined. But, suffice it to say, the news is about 50% fact, and 50% fiction on average (that average includes plenty of 90/10's and 10/90's, too). Plus, even when they're telling the truth, they often word it in such a way that the meaning is lost in a cloud of doubt.

On another note, I'm not sure why you aren't going to read this thread? Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm asking you this question since you aren't going to read it. Frankly, if you openly broadcast an idea like this one, and then share it in a thread on this site, it would seem appropriate to at least get a feel for the reception that such an idea is getting within the mountaineering community that you are obviously a part of! Please understand (if you do actually read this) that I don't mean to insult you with my post. But, I do think it is important to consider what impact your decisions on this matter might have on other users of the mountains.

Chicago Transplant wrote:Please continue to post promoting events such as these, but only do so BEFORE the event as a common courtesy to people like me that would like to make sure we are as FAR AWAY from said event as possible.

I actually climbed Mt Buckskin via Kite Lake this past weekend, you have no idea how happy I was that I did that climb on SUNDAY and not the day of the parking lot hot tub party. Common courtesy to your fellow mountaineers is to let them know when keggers and hot tub parties are occurring on summits so we can stay the heck away. I know we shouldn't expect solitude on 14ers, but in late April that is not an unreasonable expectation. Its part of the reason I chose to repeat Buckskin when I did, I figured the parking lot would not be as crowded as it would in full summer climbing season.

And yes I am being serious, I really really do not want to accidentally stumble upon any of these type of events in the future, climbing Buckskin this weekend was a close call. If you are worried about the opposite happening and dudes crashing your party because they want to see you in a bikini (or less), then please PM me. I won't tell anybody when the party is and at least I can avoid it that way.

Its your life and you should be able to enjoy it, but as these things are occurring on public land (well maybe not Democrat), the rest of us should be able to avoid them if we want...

This is a good point. I normally go to the mountains for the enjoyment of nature, and as an escape from the civilized world. I get enough exposure to stupid human tricks at work each week, and I usually find myself in the mountains when I want some peace and quiet. I certainly expect to see some other hikers out on the 14'ers, but it would be rather disappointing to climb to a summit only to find a hot tub kegger, when I was expecting a quiet afternoon in the thin air in the company of other hikers.
JDip
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDip »

I was there. 9news....Wow they were off by a mile.

We tried carrying everything up but it was just too dang windy. Due to potential weather hazards everyone settled on doing it at approximately 12k. In the snow. Avery Brewing from Boulder donated a whole bunch of beers the the cause. Thanks Avery you guys are awesome :bow: :bow: :iluvbeer:

Everyone that was there and partook or stood on the sidelines with everything was very conscious of the leave no trace rule. It was clear as crystal to everyone involved in the success of this project that we would leave only footprints and take only pictures. Fret not people, I'd say we govern ourselves just fine.

There was lots of snow at the base of democrat where the hot tub was set up, so all the tracks anyone made were all in the snow, not on the actual ground.

All in all, it was super awesome I met some wonderful people. I wouldn't doubt another attempt at actual 14k. I'll be there!!
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

I sure hope to God I never return from a 14er hike, or any hike, to a hot tub, beer, and some
potential skin. That would be the exact opposite of a beer commercial I would write.

Settle down people, it was done on Kite Lake. Not exactly the definition of solitude to begin with. Mandy, you're my kind of lady :wink:
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

The way I see it, if you're gonna tell the world you're putting a hot tub on top of a peak, you better #$%$#@ well get it on top of said peak. Otherwise, fail.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Kiefer wrote:
TrailKid wrote: If anything, Mandy Veronikas is an iconic proof in the flesh (whether its bare at the summit or not) that 14ers.com is a success.
Happy Trails
HUH?
Oh, Kiefer, I never get tired of W making an appearance. :lol:
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

oK.... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Here's the deal. Mandy is getting just what she wants on this forum so knock it off you knuckleheads. If you all keep up this bantering, this thread will topple the "Favorite Beer" thread. Let this be the last post!!!!!! :evil:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

TrailKid wrote:Happy Trails
Please avoid mimicking a much more worthy forum member.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

The mind boggles....

Let me get this straight: A young hottie with an awesome spirit builds a Hot Tub at the base of Mt. Democrat, and some of you find something about this to whine/complain and/or even endlessly comment about ?????

Shame on you. I'm just making a guess here, but you young single dudes that have anything negative to say about this don't "get much", right? Even you old married farts (like myself) that do so probably are not as well.

Perfectly done, Ms. V. You gotta Walk before you can run. Now you have your system checked out and can adjust and make this Mont Blanc Des États-Unis Amérique thing work even higher.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Politics, guns, dogs, Mandy’s hot tub.
People sure got their panties in a bunch over this one. :roll:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

climbing_rob wrote:The mind boggles....

Let me get this straight: A young hottie with an awesome spirit builds a Hot Tub at the base of Mt. Democrat, and some of you find something about this to whine/complain and/or even endlessly comment about ?????

Shame on you. I'm just making a guess here, but you young single dudes that have anything negative to say about this don't "get much", right? Even you old married farts (like myself) that do so probably are not as well.

Perfectly done, Ms. V. You gotta Walk before you can run. Now you have your system checked out and can adjust and make this Mont Blanc Des États-Unis Amérique thing work even higher.
As previously stated, I think many people find the biggest problem to be over-the-top self-promotion, not the hot tub excercise itself. Personally, the only problem I have with the hot tub thing is sticking to LNT principles.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs