Forum rules
This forum is read-only
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Hot Tub on Mt. Democrat

Post by JROSKA »

On a recent broadcast of the nightly news by the Denver NBC affiliate, a story was presented, in which several individuals are intending to bring a hot tub to the summit of Mt. Democrat.

Is this:

A) Fun idea, no big deal
B) Violation of "Leave It As You Found It"
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Hot Tub on Mt. Democrat

Post by Bean »

Woo attention whoring!
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

JROSKA wrote:On a recent broadcast of the nightly news by the Denver NBC affiliate, a story was presented, in which several individuals are intending to bring a hot tub to the summit of Mt. Democrat.

Is this:

A) Fun idea, no big deal
B) Violation of "Leave It As You Found It"

Maybe someone can link to the original thread on this subject... it came from this site, but I can't find it right now.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it now:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

people that i consider awesome who have accomplished great/cool things have never openly bragged about them. if it was presented as just a fun thing to do i think their would be more supporters but the 'were so cool because were doing this, lets tell everyone about it' rubs a number of folks the wrong way. people dont want to hear about how cool you think you are
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

FWIW- I disagree with everyone getting their exercise jumping to conclusions about Mandy's reasons for doing this. She did it because she wanted to. She posted about it to see who would be interested in helping (since no one but bean could realistically carry a hot tub to 14k on their own). She got an overwhelming response from many of her friends.

I can assure you that while some antics that go on these days with 14ers, this one was no less valid than Crossfitter taking kegs up peaks. (which mind you I have been a part of one of those parties as well and its badass)

I can also assure you, Mandy is not lacking in the self esteem department, she just likes doing weird stuff and I for one think its far more fun that 'requiring' you walk a dirt road to gain 3000' on a summit for it to be a "real" 14er....

My $.02
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

People really need to relax and enjoy life. Hot tub at 14k sounds grand.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

somethingrandom wrote:FWIW- I disagree with everyone getting their exercise jumping to conclusions about Mandy's reasons for doing this. She did it because she wanted to.
So why the part about notifying the media?
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Why should we give a damn either way? So, Mandy wants to bring a hot tub to a mountain and get other people involved. So? She gets on the news. So? Someone posted a trip report or took kegs up a mountain. So? My point is, let everyone else do what they want to do, you do what you want to, and that's that. Why worry about what anyone else is doing? It's just as egotistical to criticize others for their acts or motives. Leave it alone and have fun!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

somethingrandom wrote:FWIW- I disagree with everyone getting their exercise jumping to conclusions about Mandy's reasons for doing this. She did it because she wanted to.
she did it because she saw this story from 2007 http://www.adventure-journal.com/mont-b ... t-hot-tub/ and thought it was the coolest thing ever and wanted the world to know she was the first one to recreate it in the united states.

i will say that mtnfever is a extremely positive person. she lives life the way she wants to without getting sucked into alot of the crap that most do. she is very vocal with her accomplishments, goals and things she loves. with that she gets into trouble with some. when this democrat thing happens, i do think it will be a cool experiment/experience and will be happy for her and her friends. this just wasnt presented in the right way.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

If people can't tell the difference between doing something for fun and personal fulfillment and doing something as a desperate plea for attention, well, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm all for having a good time and living life and being free-spirited and whatever other cliche you want to spew out, but that still doesn't explain the need to post multiple times on the forum, blast every little update on Facebook and notify the media.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

live and let live
Vincit Qui Patitur
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

I find this entire hot tub event quite reflective of the past snow season here in Colorado. Months of talking about another La Nina and all we got was La Nada. Definitely not what anyone wanted or expected... but they modified their plans, scored a bunch of free beer and had fun with it. I believe she will re attempt and get it done. Then it will definitely be newsworthy and deserve a victory dance.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”