2 Guys Hiking Bierstadt Tuesday 7-31 Want Advice

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Rangerguy2010
Trip Reports (0)

2 Guys Hiking Bierstadt Tuesday 7-31 Want Advice

Post by Rangerguy2010 »

We would like to do the "West Slopes" or "North Face Gully" trails that we found on this site. We plan on taking it easy and enjoying the views.

Any advice, specifically related to this hike, would be gladly accepted. We have a couple questions for those willing to answer...

Is there a place to get out of the weather if lightning moves in fast? Rain doesn't scare us...electricity...that's very different lol.

Are there any fees associated with the area we want to hike?

Is there a special piece of gear I should bring for this hike? Like cramp-ons or a shovel or an ice pick? Whatever you can think of that you would definitely bring.

Is this hike affected by negative weather regularly? The site says 40% chance of thunderstorms after noon.

Also, can you camp in that area? Just wondering for future trips.

We're new to hiking 14er's specifically, but we are no stranger to intense hikes and bivouacs. I am a former Army Ranger with heavy outdoors experience and knowledge...and my brother in law was born and raised in the high Rockies, so please save us the unnecessary parental advice and please stick to the stuff we need to know if you feel like chiming in.
Rangerguy2010
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2 Guys Hiking Bierstadt Tuesday 7-31 Want Advice

Post by Rangerguy2010 »

Are you kidding me? Screw you, stupid troll. Obviously you have no idea how to communicate hoss. I asked specific questions because I don't have the damn time to scratch my way through hundreds of freakin posts and not find an answer...isn't that the reason for forums?? Hmmm???? I am not a 13 year old with a five minute attention span...I am a hard working father with literally zero freakin free time and I was just hoping to make things a little smoother, but you just had to interfere and take some more of my free time from me, just like a troll would.

Brian C is a total douche and I know this without even knowing him! He didn't even answer ANY of my questions!!! What a dope! Does this sherlock mofo even think before he responds? Or does he just say to himself..."how can I be a total ass today?"

This is exactly the stupid garbage response I was attempting to avoid, but apparently I am a magnet for idiots like you. Even when I specifically state that I would appreciate responses ONLY to the questions I asked....I still get the dumbass who has to try to make himself look better AND he criticizes my polite request as "a bitchy comment" to boot....what a joke this guy is! I EVEN SAID PLEASE TWICE IN THE SENTENCE YOU MENTIONED!!!

Also, apparently Brian needs to take some refreshers on english....I said MY BROTHER was raised in Colorado...not me...and I never claimed to be hardcore, in fact...any intelligent person would've seen that the trails I chose were not hardcore...so therefore you are stupid for even attempting to reply. You are the childlike poser my friend...YOU.

You are a fool and everyone on this board can see it plain as day pal. I hope I never come across your stupid ass on the trails because people like you deserve a reality check and I'm always down to be the device for such an occasion.

If anyone else would like to respond than by all means please do so, but be respectful because I don't need any more ignorance in my life.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I must admit I was taken aback, as well, by the gist of the topic... Glad someone new decided to wade through the forum, though, and not simply just ask the Facebook forum this question...

West slopes is standard - it's a walk-up... I've done it in Chacos and shorts, and it's a quick hike. The North gully route isn't much of a deviation from the standard route - still could be done in said chacos and shorts. That being said, I would suggest hiking in whatever makes you comfortable, and sunscreen. No snow, no need for gear - it's standard summer conditions meaning try to be up and down by noon or risk your window collapsing with possibilities of t-storms.

No fees to use the Guanella Pass TH; but on a weekend in the summer, if you aren't there early be prepared to park on the road and walk - easily 200-300 cars on a good Saturday morning filling both lots and the road.

Enjoy.

Brian, stop drinking so early in the morning - it's just a question... yes they've been answered a hundred times, deal with it, be nice, and perpetuate the great hiking community this 14ers.com gaggle of people mostly are.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Rangerguy2010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rangerguy2010 »

Thanks wildlobo, I appreciate your candor.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Rangerguy2010 wrote:Are you kidding me? Screw you, stupid troll. Obviously you have no idea how to communicate hoss. I asked specific questions because I don't have the damn time to scratch my way through hundreds of freakin posts and not find an answer...isn't that the reason for forums?? Hmmm???? I am not a 13 year old with a five minute attention span...I am a hard working father with literally zero freakin free time and I was just hoping to make things a little smoother, but you just had to interfere and take some more of my free time from me, just like a troll would.

Brian C is a total douche and I know this without even knowing him! He didn't even answer ANY of my questions!!! What a dope! Does this sherlock mofo even think before he responds? Or does he just say to himself..."how can I be a total ass today?"

This is exactly the stupid garbage response I was attempting to avoid, but apparently I am a magnet for idiots like you. Even when I specifically state that I would appreciate responses ONLY to the questions I asked....I still get the dumbass who has to try to make himself look better AND he criticizes my polite request as "a bitchy comment" to boot....what a joke this guy is! I EVEN SAID PLEASE TWICE IN THE SENTENCE YOU MENTIONED!!!

Also, apparently Brian needs to take some refreshers on english....I said MY BROTHER was raised in Colorado...not me...and I never claimed to be hardcore, in fact...any intelligent person would've seen that the trails I chose were not hardcore...so therefore you are stupid for even attempting to reply. You are the childlike poser my friend...YOU.

You are a fool and everyone on this board can see it plain as day pal. I hope I never come across your stupid ass on the trails because people like you deserve a reality check and I'm always down to be the device for such an occasion.

If anyone else would like to respond than by all means please do so, but be respectful because I don't need any more ignorance in my life.
Nice rant! :-$
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
BKullman
14ers: 41 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BKullman »

In terms of camping, there are primitive sites along the road as you work your way up the pass. Thank you for your service.

Ben
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

This was enjoyable.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Regarding camping, watch the east side of the Guanella Pass Road 1-3 miles north of the actual pass (the side to/from Georgetown) and you'll spot some nice camping areas. Not the most peaceful area with the heavy Guanella traffic, but it works.

Regarding the route: nowhere to get out of weather, its all above treeline. Just start and end early. Its a short hike so its not much of an issue.

No fees.
No special gear needed.
Expect storms daily. Mainly afternoon. Same as most of CO.

-D
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

:cartman:

Get an 80 liter pack and put a 100 lb. dumbbell in it. Take some water too.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
WillV
14ers: 52  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

Derek wrote:Image
:lol: Ahhh.

This thread gave me a good laugh. Thanks everyone. Just what I needed.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Mount Bierstadt is a relatively short and easy 14er hike that requires no more equipment than a couple liters of water and a sun hat. Thunderstorms are the main consideration. Since the trailhead starts above treeline, there is no cover from thunderstorms until you get back to your car. The trick is to start early (6 AMish) and finish early (10 AM? as strong hikers you should finish in about 4 hours). Thunderstorms dont usually threaten until noon, but that does not come with a guarantee. Turn around if the clouds darken.

It is a great hike with nice views. Have fun!

Edit: Brian, one word.....decaf? :lol:
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Ditto on the T-storm risk as your major concern.

It is a relatively "easy" climb up (assuming you're ok at altitude), but when we summited at 8:30AM a few yrs back, black clouds already prevented us to head further to Evans and by 9AM, lightning was already hitting nearby peaks. While 90% of the hike is class 1, the top 100-200 ft of boulders is not a place you want to have to run down in a storm. Depending on where you may wander afterwards, look out for the resident moose that has been seen in the willows.

Be safe.