This forum is read-only
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I've temporarily locked the thread until things simmer down.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
wash
Trip Reports (1)

Dog Found: Update from the OP on Lucky/Missy

Post by wash »

Hello everyone, I’m sorry for the delay in posting this update but it was a long day yesterday and today has been quite the frenzy.

As you all have heard and seen, we were able to rescue the dog yesterday. She is apparently named Missy, although I have been calling her Lucky. I took her to a veterinarian last night, who graciously volunteered their services, and she is doing great. She’s been fully checked out and has no fractures, internal injuries, or other permanent damage and all of her lab work came back normal. Her pads are in rough shape and she is severely dehydrated and has been on an IV overnight and throughout today. Her survival and shear will to live are astounding by any measure.

As we move forward, Lucky/Missy will remain in veterinary care for the short term. I realize that there is a great deal of emotion surrounding the rescue of this dog and I must admit that myself, my wife, and the other members of the rescue team have grown extremely fond of her. That being said, there is a certain legal process that must be followed in cases like this. Animal Control, as well as the appropriate branches of the Sherriff’s Offices, have been notified and are already on top of things. We will work to ensure that she is in a loving and caring environment but this incident does have legal ramifications and both the law and due process will have their day.

I would like to acknowledge and thank all of the other members of the rescue team who took time out of their lives and cared enough to attempt this rescue: Alex Gelb, Stefan Kleinschuster, Ralph Kolva, Chase Lindell (who pulled off one of the most outstanding feats of strength and endurance that I have even seen), Chris O’Riley, John Steed, and Christoph Tomford. What they accomplished was no small feat and if you know these men or ever run across them be sure to shake their hand and buy them a beer. This rescue would not have been possible without all of their combined efforts. They are heroes, every single one.

I would also like to thank our veterinarian, who is one of the nicest and kindest men I’ve ever met; Brandon Vail, who organized the search party that went up Saturday night; and Erik Willcutt, who spent all day Sunday scouring the mountainside looking for Lucky/Missy. There were many other individuals who participated in this rescue and their efforts are greatly appreciated.

It is our sincere hope that this effort will be remembered, not for our accomplishments, but as a reminder of the good that we are all capable of and of the amazing the things that can happen when even just a few people are willing to stand up and do the right thing.

Thank you to everyone for your love, support, and well wishes.

Scott and Amanda
Lucky and Her Rescue Team - 13AUG2012.JPG
Lucky and Her Rescue Team - 13AUG2012.JPG (193.06 KiB) Viewed 21484 times
wash
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dog Found: Update from the OP on Lucky/Missy

Post by wash »

I will now offer my personal opinion concerning the dog and Mr. Ortolani. This is the one and only statement I will make about this and I would ask that others let this be the final word as this has turned into a very heated and passionate exchange.

According to Mr. Ortolani he was in a bad situation, and fearing for his life he made the decision to abandon his dog. I will say that I understand this. My wife and I had to abandon her as well. When we found her on Saturday we knew that we would be unable to bring her out ourselves and with extremely heavy hearts we left her on a rock knowing that she may die. That being said, this is as far as my understanding goes. Despite being forced to abandon her, we came back for her. When I left the trailhead on Monday morning I fully expected to find that she had passed away, yet I went anyway. Dozens of people devoted their time and effort to find a dog they had no connection with other than a photograph and the idea that looking for her was the right thing to do. I could make numerous other arguments but I believe that this is the heart of the issue.

Mr. Ortolani claims that he has learned his lesson, and it is my sincere hope that he has. My concern now is that this dog finds a happy and healthy home with owners that will love her and be willing to be responsible for her. It is my opinion that despite Mr. Ortolani’s great remorse he does not meet the above criteria.

I offer this as my opinion and will fight for it but I will remind everyone that it is only such, my opinion. This dog’s fate will be decided by due legal process who will hopefully act impartially to make a fair and just decision.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I've temporarily locked the thread until things simmer down.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

UPDATE - Animal cruelty charges filed against dog owner:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/28365 ... y-charges-
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

A message from Scott Turner, the prosecutor in this case...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once again the world has been made aware of the caring community that is known as 14ers.com

I have been following this thread with great interest as I, a 14ers.com member, will be the prosecutor handling the criminal charges in this case. If you were one of the rescuers or personally witnessed anything that happened on the mountain please contact me through my 14ers.com profile. I want to make sure we have contact information for all potential witnesses. Any photographs or video that you may have will also be helpful. If we get to the point where the judge is considering punishment I will do another post with information for whomever would like to send a letter to the judge to make their opinion known as to what should happen to the defendant and the dog. However please remember that under the law Mr. Ortolani is innocent until proven guilty.

That is all I can comment on for now. I will continue to keep the 14ers.com community updated on the progress of the case.

Scott Turner, Chief Deputy District Attorney, 5th Judicial District
swturner