Need for a hand gun or any Gun?

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
PabloEscabar
Trip Reports (0)

Need for a hand gun or any Gun?

Post by PabloEscabar »

Was just reading the topic about Animal related hazards at this time of year! While I was reading the reponses I very suprised to see that so many of you carry GUNS when climbing 14er's. I was just wondering what size (how tall and how many lbs ) you guys that are carrying the GUNS are? Do you all hike solo? Where would you carry a hand GUN or any GUN that you would be able to grab for it, aim, and hit something fast enough? Do you wear it on a belt holster?
sunshine1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sunshine1 »

NO.NO NO...Guns...Of course, I have no 14'er climbing experience but common sense tells me that it they would be fruitless up there or anywhere for that matter. Just my .02 .. sorry. What the heck are you going to do w/a gun climbing anyway?
Who is John Galt?
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlw49 »

PabloEscobar Got drugs??

I see no need for guns on hikes. However, I do carry a small mortar in my pack. Never know when you might need to lob one into the snow pack to release a possible avalanche. That way I don't have to attend all those refresher classes on av. safety. Just drop one and walk on.
kiddrockies
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kiddrockies »

I climb/hike alone about half the time, and never carry a gun, other than my beautiful biceps. One flex and all attackers flee like scared little sissies.

But seriously, there have been times that I was glad for my lethal ice axe. The early morning surprise with bear-eyes that turned out to be a cow, for instance.....
The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon the high places.
Habakkuk 3:19

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray.
Matthew 14:23
grizz
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need for a hand gun or any Gun?

Post by grizz »

PabloEscabar wrote:Was just reading the topic about Animal related hazards at this time of year! While I was reading the reponses I very suprised to see that so many of you carry GUNS when climbing 14er's. I was just wondering what size (how tall and how many lbs ) you guys that are carrying the GUNS are? Do you all hike solo? Where would you carry a hand GUN or any GUN that you would be able to grab for it, aim, and hit something fast enough? Do you wear it on a belt holster?
To make a long post short. Obviously you don't understand much about guns or why a person would carry a gun on the trail and that's your right. It's my right to understand how and why a person would carry a gun on the trail if that is what I choose to do. My body size, location of gun and how good I use my gun is of no concern to you. The only thing you should be concerned about is that I'm within this states gun law, which I am, so don't worry about MY life's decisions.
solopeak
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by solopeak »

Billy The Kid... I'll make you famous...
All kidding aside, a gun is no replacement for animal knowledge, and it might even give you a false sense of security. Get some bear spray (not the junk your girlfriend has on her keychain :roll: ), and read lots and lots of books. Knowledge is power.
That said, if it's legal to carry one, that's your choice.
Footnote: After my first bear encounters, I read every bear book I could get my hands on (I still buy every one I see...), and I would never carry a gun. :D
TalusMonkey
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

Oh yeah, if you choose to carry a firearm at all, accessibility is essential. Open carry is generally permitted in National Forests and Wilderness areas under Federal Law, but may be limited in some jurisdictions (Pisgah NF in North Carolina limits firearms to .22 caliber pistols with barrels less than 6 inches, except by hunters). A strongside hip or crossdraw outfit provides quick access. This photo was taken on the Nellie Creek approach to Uncompahgre:

But a small automatic is much lighter and can be positioned around the side of the pack hip/waist belt for lower profile accessibility:

Or, tuck the pistol in a water bottle pocket on the side of your pack - and expect your girlfriend to draw the weapon and shoot.

What a great topic for Election Day!
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."
Flatland Biker
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Flatland Biker »

I don't own a gun. I carry a board with big nasty nails on both sides. It is all I have needed in 56 years and I'm just a little guy.
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"
billyg0atgruff
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billyg0atgruff »

I carry... but then again I'm a Texan. :P :lol:

Seriously, I do carry, but not necessarily climbing 14ers. I carry it backpacking, usually for the first camp near a campground (were the bears are already looking in the dumpsters for food). I sleep much better than before I started carrying it, especially when my wife and son are along with me.

My only recommendation is that if you do carry a weapon make sure its big enough to kill what you are expecting to attack. I carry a .45 semi auto, with a 10 round clip for bears and two-legged predators.

For those of you that just got really nervous, no I didn't carry it on Culebra with the 14ers.com bunch.
ryanclimbs
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ryanclimbs »

I carry a lightweight S&W .45 with hollow points... I have a conceal permit and wear it inside my outer jacket. Haven't had to shoot anything, or anyone, yet.

mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

Well there is the experience of a Colorado ranger named Andy Peterson. His story is at http://www.lkministries.com

The short version is that he was hiking alone on an off day, T-Shirt around his waist, with just a jackknife in his pocket. He was heading down the trail and was jumped by a mtn lion which proceeded to shred him a bit. He managed to get his jackknife open but it promptly closed again on his finger nearly cutting one off. He wrestled with the lion gouged it in the eye and it backed off abit. He then proceeded to bolt down the trail with the lion following at a distance.

He credits the Lord as preventing the lion from pursuing and finishing him off.

Up here in Canada we lost a lady cross country skier near Canmore who was skiing alone and was jumped by a mtn lion.

So it would be a consideration to have something better than a jackknife if you're out there alone. I carry a fixed blade hunting knife as guns aren't allowed in the mtn parks up here in Canada. Although I do wonder if I would have any energy left at the end of a 8-10 hour day and actually did meet something.

Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mildly neurotic
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mildly neurotic »

I have a .45 auto when I'm on the road driving to/from trailheads (or when I'm driving just about anywhere else, for that matter). I also have it in the tent when I'm camping out at trailheads. I don't carry it while I'm climbing, however, since a loaded .45 is fairly heavy hanging off your belt, and I'd probably just drop it down the Bell Cord couloir anyway. The probability for getting murdered above tree line is pretty close to 'nil (not exactly 'nil, but close enough that I don't worry about it). But I say if you want to carry to 14,000 thats your perogative, just pick up your spent shells please. I would argue with the use of .22 LR caliber for self defense though, what are you shooting, pikas? :wink: