The piece I pack

Post by WickMick »

"The futures uncertain and the end is always near, let it roll baby roll!"

-James Douglas Morrison
XkyleX
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XkyleX »

Glock 30 (.45 Auto) : never leave home without it! It's nice to see so many people are packing heat out on the trails. As for the people who don't like it; we still have rights to own guns in this country. We still do don't we? Don't we?

(*Mental note* Check to see if it's 1984 yet.)

Nice guns, fellas!

Kill the doubt inside your head. We overcome. We push ahead. -Modern Life Is War

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 18
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

XkyleX wrote:Glock 30 (.45 Auto) : never leave home without it! It's nice to see so many people are packing heat out on the trails. As for the people who don't like it; we still have rights to own guns in this country. We still do don't we? Don't we?

Ha! good allusion! No, I'm not opposed to it at all! It's the 2nd amendment to the Constitution of the US! It's a good thing the forefathers gave the people the right to bear arms (as long as people are responsible). I simply have no use for one, that's all. 8)
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
jdogtann
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Carry a gun

Post by jdogtann »

Let's not kid anybody Pablo. Bear attacks are very rare. When they do actually happen they get overpublicized. I do carry a gun, but not because I'm scared of animals. I do not trust a lot of humans. I figured out a way to sew my holster into my packs hipbelt and then put a flap over it to conceal it from other people's sight so they don't get scared if they see it. I carry a glock 9mm.
J.D. Tanner
gander4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gander4 »

XkyleX wrote:Glock 30 (.45 Auto) : never leave home without it! It's nice to see so many people are packing heat out on the trails. As for the people who don't like it; we still have rights to own guns in this country. We still do don't we? Don't we?

Nice guns, fellas!

how do you like the G30? I was thinking of getting one.
XkyleX
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XkyleX »

Ha ha. I'm glad you caught that skier25.

gander4- I love the Glock 30. Then again, I swear by Glock! It has very little recoil and is very controllable-- even for such a small barrel -- and therefore you are able to get multiple shots on target in a short amount of time (if I remember correctly, it averages six shots on a torso at 7 yards in one second). I have relatively large hands and it fits in my hand just fine. If you have any other questions pm me. Also, if you ever want to try mine out, I try to get to Lefthand every Sunday.
Kill the doubt inside your head. We overcome. We push ahead. -Modern Life Is War

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 18
strat1080
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strat1080 »

Most of the semi-autos designed for home defense from aggressvie human behavior wouldn't fare too well against aggressive animals. If you are going to pack a gun bring something that will do the job against an aggressive animal. Otherwise bring bear spray. It has been proven to be much more effective than handguns. I used to frequently post on a firearms forum and the concensus was that you would have to be an expert marksman with a really cool head to stop an attacking animal with a handgun. The general rule was 357 Mag as a minimum for Black Bear and 44 Mag as a minimum for larger bears. Anything else is likely to just make these animals mad and die a slow and painful death after they are done mauling you.
Van McDaniel
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Van McDaniel »

IMO most of the posts on this thread were regarding self defense from two legged predators but again, IMO. About three years ago a man in New Mexico killed a Black Bear with a single action handgun in .44-40 caliber after the bear dragged him out of the back of his pick-up truck. Hardly a "magnum" class loading. It took 5 or 6 shots but the bear went to the pickanik basket land in the sky. The chance of such an encounter is very remote in Colorado. You stand a better chance of being hit by lightning than a bear/cat attack. I would not want to trust my safety to any can of spray but for those that do, it is your choice and I do hope that it works out well for you. If one is going to carry a firearm then one should be proficient with it. That means LOTS of practice. Buffalo Bore makes some excellent handgun loads that have stopped many a bear in the .45Colt/.44Magnum range. For those that carry semi-autos in .40S&W or .45ACP, I would think that 8-9 torso hits at 10-15 yards will do the deed on an aggressive bear. But then again only if yelling and screaming at the bear does not work. I would prefer to take a low-ready Weaver stance with Mr. Colt .45 in hand and yell at Yogi and Boo-Boo and perhaps they may see the error of their ways and go away. If you have time to present a can of bear spray, you sure have time to present Mr. Colt. One warning shot in the ground and if that does not work, 8 big hollow points to the chest. This can be done in about 3 seconds. Any disagree? Probably so.....Set up a target about 10 yards away and see if you can put 6-8 rounds into an area the size of a gallon milk jug in three seconds or so...it can be done. Handgun not enough stopping power? How about a 12 gauge pump in riot configuration? 7-8 rounds of rifled slug(.72 caliber 1 ounce projectile) at 25 yards will drop anything up to and including Polar Bears. Most of us may object to the 6 pounds of weight however. For those of you out there that respecfully disagree with my argument.....We will continue to respectfully disaree with one another....For those of you that live in a state of mind that everyone and everything should love and hug and like to ridicule my God given right to self defense and my Constitutional guarantee to keep and bear arms, I cannot help your ignorance so bring on your ignorant remarks. I think that heat packin' MtnGirl sets a fine example, when confronted by what must be the largest Bobcat in Colorado, take his/her photo before it goes away. From the looks of that cat, the bunny diet must be working.
Eat Dessert First!
strat1080
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strat1080 »

Sure there are cases where moderate to low powered handgun rounds have stopped wild animals but there are also cases where people have emptied their handguns and got mauled or killed. I used to think bear spray was for sissies but all the statistics I've seen show that bear spray is a much more practical means of defending yourself from bears. You aren't always going to have enough time to empty your handgun on a charging animal. The statistics in the link below speak for themselves. I also agree that being attacked by an animal is not very likely to happen. I usually camp at pretty high altitudes where wackos don't really tend to hang out. I feel comfortable without a firearm in the woods. Anytime my climbing trip involves backpacking I always camp at about 11,000ft. I wasn't sure if this thread was about defense from animals or humans but the first post mentioned defense from animals. My point was that if you are going to bring a gun, bring enough gun for the purpose.

The concensus on a leading firearms forum is that you would have to be an expert marksman and that the chest of a charging animal is not exposed. You would have to make a head or shoulder shot. This is the equivalent of shooting a soft ball moving towards you at 30mph while bobbing around. There is one case of a man using a 9mm handgun to stop a charging grizzly bear. He got lucky and hit the bear in a critical shoulder area, which prohibited the bear from moving forward. People who hunt bears recommend a 357 Mag as a minimum for stopping a Black Bear and will tell you that you are on thin ice with even this loading. Hollow points are designed to prevent over penetration and will likely not penetrate sufficiently to damage a bear's vital organs. Virtually all modern hollow point designs are designed to meet current IWBA law enforcement specifications for penetration. That is no less than 12" and no more than 16". Bears have thicker skin and massive bone mass and you are better off using a larger caliber handgun with non expanding projectiles. There are some hollow points that are designed for deep penetration but they are all in the Magnum revolver cartridges. This is the concensus of park rangers in Alaska, firearms and hunting experts.

http://www.udap.com/bearnews.pdf
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Still? Wow. :shock:
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
WickMick
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WickMick »

wow indeed...
"The futures uncertain and the end is always near, let it roll baby roll!"

-James Douglas Morrison
gander4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gander4 »

XkyleX wrote:Ha ha. I'm glad you caught that skier25.

gander4- I love the Glock 30. Then again, I swear by Glock! It has very little recoil and is very controllable-- even for such a small barrel -- and therefore you are able to get multiple shots on target in a short amount of time (if I remember correctly, it averages six shots on a torso at 7 yards in one second). I have relatively large hands and it fits in my hand just fine. If you have any other questions pm me. Also, if you ever want to try mine out, I try to get to Lefthand every Sunday.
Thanks, I just traded a shotgun for a G30 w/night sights last week. What a gun! Now I carry the .45 and just let the kids play with the 9mm. :shock: