Forum rules
This forum is read-only
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 2015 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

By the way, was there somebody that wanted some of my gear for a charity auction or giveaway or something? If so let me know, I've got some good stuff! And some nasty stuff... :barf:
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Congratulations Andrew! And to Andrew's crew! I wasn't able to really follow the last few days of the pursuit with my work schedule, but I was glad to hear that you were able to set a new speed record, and to break the 10 day barrier! No matter what happens to the record in the future, you will always have that honor. People I know who aren't really peak climbers were asking me if I had heard that "some guy broke the record", it certainly is an accomplishment that has reached far beyond our circle of mountain freaks! 8) =D>
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

:-D
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

okay guys, my last and final post to "2015 14er speed record attempt" (what's next??!)- too many emotions involved with that statement but CHEERS to my last post on the blog. It's finished. Some cool pictures from Longs night are up. See you all out in the mountains :)
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
Mountain Maverick
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountain Maverick »

andrewhamilton wrote:Hi Everyone! I am just starting to come out of hibernation from my record attempt. I haven't read the thread yet so if there is anything pressing where someone is awaiting a response from me please PM me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I am overwhelmed by the amount of goodwill and support we received out there this year! Early on there were cookie deliveries. Friends showed up to help relieve the main support crew. Then lots of people showed up to hike with me. We lost half the crew midway through the attempt but by that point the crew was operating well enough that we were able to continue without a hiccup! Near the end there were pretty decent crowds at some of the trailheads, but nothing topped the finish at Long's Peak! I still can't believe the size of the crowd and the excitement at the finish. It is truly something I will never forget and I would like to thank all of you for that!

By the way some of you saw me at truly miserable moments, like those of you who showed up at the Quandary trailhead. Sorry if I didn't seem too friendly but some of those nights were difficult!

The mountains made me earn it this year. We started with two days of good weather (only by chance as thunderstorms passed close by), then a couple of days of lightning storms, buzzing hats, hail storms, rain, and mudslides. After that a cold front moved in and thankfully the lightning eased up, but we still faced nearly a week of light rain, medium rain, and heavy rain just about everywhere we turned. Finally the front range and mosquitos put up a hard fight with more rain, and intense fog that caused me to make navigational mistakes on seemingly easy peaks like Quandary, Evans, Grays, and Long's.

All along the goal was to break 10 days. My spreadsheet had a time of 9.88 days as the goal, and somehow despite the bad weather we managed to come in at 9.91 hours, only 31 minutes from our desired time. I know faster hikers and runners will come and take the record down to new levels (but after all, records were made to be broken, and it is exciting to be part of a record that others want to beat!), but we will always have this great adventure to remember and can reminisce about how we were the ones that were able to break a seemingly insurmountable record that had stood for 15 years, and we have the honor of breaking the 10 day barrier!

Thanks again for all of your help and support! More to come as I read through the thread! Definitely a lot to write about this time.
Thank you too Andrew! Your adventure had many of us in the climbing community gripped with excitement, and a bit of anxiety at times too. Still have no idea how in the world you solo'ed/slogged/drug yourself through that epic Elks day? Lots of fun though, and it made for a compelling 10 days.

I got to thinking, as I tend to think charitably sometimes, that you and your crew could probably sell out the lecture hall at CMC, REI, or somewhere with a follow up panel presentation/slide show/Q&A recounting of this great record (or at least what you can remember...LOL). You could probably fill locations all up and down the Front Range and do multiple presentations quite honestly. It could be advertised here and on social media, and the proceeds be for a charity of your choosing, perhaps mountain related (Nepal, 14ers intitiative, etc).

I know I was riveted just talking with Kyle for a half hour at the HH, and had many questions still unanswered even after I talked with him. Just a thought to bring it back full circle, and connect with all of us who followed the assault over those memorable 10 days (er, I mean, 9 days, 21 hours and 51 minutes). I would be willing to help with logistics and scheduling if you like. I think it would be a thrill for mountain, and non mountain people alike. There was a lot of interest, even with people who have never set foot on a mountain before. I was at a concert at Red Rocks on the 4th, and literally had all of my concert neighbors following along with the drama between songs and sets, haha.

Just a thought. I know this was very personal to you, and maybe yo want to keep it that way. But I do see how it could be something cool for the people and raise some good money for charity. I won't be offended if you decline, but at least think it over.

Congratulations again on an accomplishment of a lifetime!

Chris
Blix
14ers: 31 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Blix »

^^^ This, yes please.
And CONGRATS again. :)
Lance Snead
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lance Snead »

Andrew, would you be willing to share your Delorme GPX track?
I'm not sure how to export it (if that's even possible) from the website.
Thanks!

Lance
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

Andrew, congrats on an amazing feat! It was great to see you so happy on Longs Peak as you were coming down from your success!
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
andrewhamilton
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Lance Snead wrote:Andrew, would you be willing to share your Delorme GPX track?
I'm not sure how to export it (if that's even possible) from the website.
Thanks!

Lance
I am not exactly sure how to export my tracker points as a gpx but I will definitely see if I can figure that out! There is an export button but so far I have only used that with my waypoints.
andrewhamilton
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Chris, I'd be interested in sharing the experience in some sort way like you suggested. Send me a pm and we can talk about it! Thanks!

CookieHiker! I can't believe those cookie deliveries! Thank you so much they were delicious! I just can't believe you delivered cookies, twice!
jesusfreak1824
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesusfreak1824 »

Andrew, I just read of your record breaking attempt again today in the Gazette in the Springs. Seriously, congratulations, brother! You are a true inspiration and a hero to all of us who are a part of this community of climbers and to all of us who call Colorado home!
EZsummits
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EZsummits »

another great article on Andrew and the team's amazing accomplishment:

http://www.climbing.com/news/andrew-ham ... ed-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;