The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2015 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by crestone14ers »

Andrew and crew... Kudos for an exceptional achievement! Nicely accomplished throughout!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I looked around but can't find it...anyone have the link for the extended 9news interview?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2 ... /29992161/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Bill, that is the link to the live interview! There was an outage last night at the 9 news building during the storm, so Andrew emailed them as they said they would send him the link! I'll post it when we get it!!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

cool, great interview.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

asansone wrote:Bill, that is the link to the live interview! There was an outage last night at the 9 news building during the storm, so Andrew emailed them as they said they would send him the link! I'll post it when we get it!!
Oh, I didn't know there was another one. Thanks!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Congratulations Andrew and team ,you earned it!!! =D> Great job in the interview as well!
Shawn
izzy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by izzy »

RosieTheSummiter wrote:
RosieTheSummiter wrote:Greetings, all.
Here is a video clip of Andrew's finish on Longs last night(...er...this morning??). You'll have to forgive the quality because I am short, I was in the back, it was dark, and it is an iPhone.

It sure was great to see (and meet so many of you for the first time) yesterday. :)

Ok, let me try just posting the link:
https://youtu.be/EObcPbuovno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get busy living or get busy dying...
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Congrats Andrew (and Andrea!)! Incredible and inspirational. I've been out of town and couldn't login here, but was following every step of the way. So happy for you after last year. Looking forward to the book!
AdDoBe
14ers: 33  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdDoBe »

greenonion wrote:Looking forward to the book!
+1... Please!
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi Everyone! I am just starting to come out of hibernation from my record attempt. I haven't read the thread yet so if there is anything pressing where someone is awaiting a response from me please PM me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I am overwhelmed by the amount of goodwill and support we received out there this year! Early on there were cookie deliveries. Friends showed up to help relieve the main support crew. Then lots of people showed up to hike with me. We lost half the crew midway through the attempt but by that point the crew was operating well enough that we were able to continue without a hiccup! Near the end there were pretty decent crowds at some of the trailheads, but nothing topped the finish at Long's Peak! I still can't believe the size of the crowd and the excitement at the finish. It is truly something I will never forget and I would like to thank all of you for that!

By the way some of you saw me at truly miserable moments, like those of you who showed up at the Quandary trailhead. Sorry if I didn't seem too friendly but some of those nights were difficult!

The mountains made me earn it this year. We started with two days of good weather (only by chance as thunderstorms passed close by), then a couple of days of lightning storms, buzzing hats, hail storms, rain, and mudslides. After that a cold front moved in and thankfully the lightning eased up, but we still faced nearly a week of light rain, medium rain, and heavy rain just about everywhere we turned. Finally the front range and mosquitos put up a hard fight with more rain, and intense fog that caused me to make navigational mistakes on seemingly easy peaks like Quandary, Evans, Grays, and Long's.

All along the goal was to break 10 days. My spreadsheet had a time of 9.88 days as the goal, and somehow despite the bad weather we managed to come in at 9.91 hours, only 31 minutes from our desired time. I know faster hikers and runners will come and take the record down to new levels (but after all, records were made to be broken, and it is exciting to be part of a record that others want to beat!), but we will always have this great adventure to remember and can reminisce about how we were the ones that were able to break a seemingly insurmountable record that had stood for 15 years, and we have the honor of breaking the 10 day barrier!

Thanks again for all of your help and support! More to come as I read through the thread! Definitely a lot to write about this time.
Last edited by andrewhamilton on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

Congratulations Andrew and team! I may need a support team like yours just to climb all the 14ers once. I really appreciate being able to follow along while wishing that I was in Colorado. \:D/