This forum is read-only
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by SnowAlien »

mbourget wrote:
SnowAlien wrote:I have to wait when they become available (mostly on weekends).
Damn baby/job...
It's ok, we're not going for the record, are we? :-D I still have to thank your amazing wife for letting you out of the house as often as she does. :bow:
p.s. Your peak checklist is not updated and I bet your microspikes are not sharpened either. 8-[
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

SnowAlien wrote:
ajkagy wrote:
SnowAlien wrote: As for fitness, half the towns of Crested Butte and Aspen could accomplish JK's "feat" in no time, if they were not all so darn busy competing in their skimo races like Grand Traverse and the likes.
If it's so easy then why hasn't anybody come close to that mark of skiing all the 14ers in less than 6 months? Why haven't you done it yet?
Skiing 14ers "in condition" is actually pretty difficult and requires a lot of patience. I prefer skiing from direct summit via the most continuous line. Peaks and lines don't come in condition every year, and in most years the prime skimo season only lasts 6-8 weeks. Finally, I prefer to ski with good partners and not solo, so I have to wait when they become available (mostly on weekends). This spring I only managed to ski 5 new 14ers, all in great conditions. I did ski a bunch of 13ers, for a total of 16 peaks in May and June.
"So for those that have concerns about skiing off the true summit, I skied from the highest point I could. And in 54 of the 57 peaks skied that was the summit"

All I am saying is that he came impressively close to claiming a record so therefore an incredible athlete in my book. At the same time, hopefully lesson learned and he has a bit more integrity.

I'm just calling out the negativity and childish heckling coming from some of the bruised egos here who can't let it go. Personally I'd encourage him to come back next season and try it again the right way, hopefully with a delorme tracker for everybody to follow along and a fat snowpack. Eventually that record will be broken, especially since half of Aspen and CB could do it :-D
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

ajkagy wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:There is always one defender
maybe I should make you an audio book of my last posts since your reading comprehension is somewhat lacking for making a rather incredulous statement. :roll:
That'd be nice. Are you serious?
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

ajkagy wrote:
All I am saying is that he came impressively close to claiming a record so therefore an incredible athlete in my book. At the same time, hopefully lesson learned and he has a bit more integrity.

I'm just calling out the negativity and childish heckling coming from some of the bruised egos here who can't let it go. Personally I'd encourage him to come back next season and try it again the right way, hopefully with a delorme tracker for everybody to follow along and a fat snowpack. Eventually that record will be broken, especially since half of Aspen and CB could do it :-D
How are you missing the fact that most of the folks on this thread are NOT heckling his physical ability as an athlete? This isn't a discussion about whether or not he CAN do it...it's pretty apparent that it's well within his physical capabilities to accomplish it.

This thread is about his ethics and integrity, about the fact that he didn't do it, cut corners (despite his physical abilities), has repeatedly lied or been deliberately misleading, has disrespected some of the best ski mountaineers in the state, and generally been a jerk toward anyone who asks (however politely) for clarification (Bill Middlebrook and Jomah are some good examples). THAT is why people are ragging on him. Does that help you understand the negativity?
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

He continues, even in his "corrected" version of misleading people into thinking he set the record to cash in on speaking engagements.

List of Kedrowski mailings. The July 6, 2016 one was deleted, but Kedrowski still says in his July 7, 2016 "Re-issued and Corrected" newsletter that he,
"still skied every single 14,000' peak in Colorado in 160 days, and skied as much as I was able to, faster and more efficiently possibly than ever before.
For an encore, I chose to stay on the path, take the high road
The COLORADO 14ers Ski Project
Beginning in January, I began my attempt at climbing and skiing every Colorado 14,000' peak and hoped for record time. In June I did finish skiing every peak from January 4 to June 12
"
(even though his partner outed him for not skiing Maroon from the summit) followed by 7 speaking engagements to net $17,500 to $42,000:
July 12, Hal Holmes Community Center, Ellensburg, WA
July 13, Edgeworks Climbing Gym, Tacoma, WA
July 17, Denver, CO (Private Event for the Global Business Travel Association)
July 21, REI STORE, Bend, OR
July 26, Loowit Brewing Company, Vancouver, WA
July 27, REI Flagship STORE, Seattle, WA
August 1, Loveland Mountain Club - Pulliam Building, Loveland, CO

Kedrowski's $100,000+ /yr speaking gig.

Kedrowski on littering mountain summits with his business cards to promote his income.

Kedrowski was the first to reply to Wikipedia that "He is a well-known figure in the world of mountaineering, geography, and speaking. Everest too." when his page came up for deletion, but did so under his pseudonym of ChrisJones25 later discovered (though the pattern is clear).
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Anyone else getting PMs from taranichols_02 asking them to cease and let Kedrowski move on? Asked her relationship to him and she said "it's irrelevant." Kedrowski's marketing team? Can't Kedrowski ask himself?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFUkyHWrJvY/
Tara Nichols on Instagram  “Everyone wish @drjonkedski a happy birthday!... It's gonna be a great year”.JPG
Tara Nichols on Instagram “Everyone wish @drjonkedski a happy birthday!... It's gonna be a great year”.JPG (66.46 KiB) Viewed 14720 times
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

What a freaking baby. I didn't think the criticism was bad at all and it is just. When you create a website called 14ersskirecord.com, and have so many gaping holes in your amazing effort, what do you expect? When you self promote ad nauseum, what do you expect? When you leave your business cards on every summit, what do you expect?

For those on Twitter, there's a good back and forth between Mahon, Dav and JK from today. I still don't understand why JK is disrespecting them after they all skied North Maroon together.
TallGrass wrote:Anyone else getting PMs from taranichols_02 asking them to cease and let Kedrowski move on? Asked her relationship to him and she said "it's irrelevant." Kedrowski's marketing team? Can't Kedrowski ask himself?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFUkyHWrJvY/
Tara Nichols on Instagram “Everyone wish @drjonkedski a happy birthday!... It's gonna be a great year”.JPG
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

PaliKona wrote:For those on Twitter, there's a good back and forth between Mahon, Dav and JK from today. I still don't understand why JK is disrespecting them after they all skied North Maroon together.
You got a screenshot of that, or a link, or a cut and paste? I would like to read it.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

TallGrass wrote:Anyone else getting PMs from taranichols_02 asking them to cease and let Kedrowski move on? Asked her relationship to him and she said "it's irrelevant." Kedrowski's marketing team? Can't Kedrowski ask himself?

Maybe you go too far TallGrass. From this thread to the SAR member that wrote a book, you dig up every minute detail you can get your dirty little hands on. Anal retentiveness is not a quality.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Tory Wells wrote:
PaliKona wrote:For those on Twitter, there's a good back and forth between Mahon, Dav and JK from today. I still don't understand why JK is disrespecting them after they all skied North Maroon together.
You got a screenshot of that, or a link, or a cut and paste? I would like to read it.
Hysterical. I don't have a smiley for that.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tedmahon/sta ... 8041705472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedmahon/sta ... 2152233985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

And I quote Dav:

#fail

Hilarious
SnowAlien wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/tedmahon/sta ... 8041705472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedmahon/sta ... 2152233985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

SnowAlien wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:

Oh snap. The kings have spoken.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach