This forum is read-only
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Kedrowski: 2016 Ski Project Controversy

Post by SnowAlien »

[Split from Lindsey thread]
Someone did. Very snowy and a long walk. So happy we skied it last year before the slide closed the road and even then it was a looong day.
http://14erskirecord.com/31-mt-lindsey-14042/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Looking at Lindsey Lately

Post by justiner »

Man, that's some risks they're taking. All the, "I didn't go all this way just to turn around before the top" talk is terrifying.
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Little Bear is another good read.
http://14erskirecord.com/little-bear-peak-14037/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally feel any kind of timed, speed record amplifies the mountaineering risks tenfold. You're not looking for the best conditions, you just go when you think there's a window, and turning around doesn't seem to be an option.
Last edited by SnowAlien on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Well c'mon I'm not too terribly new to that kinda stuff ;)
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Thanks for the link SnowAlien. It looks like a lot of work.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

For what it's worth, the Sangres are skiing exceptionally well right now.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

SnowAlien wrote:Little Bear is another good read.

I personally feel any kind of timed, speed record amplifies the mountaineering risks tenfold. You're not looking for the best conditions, you just go when you think there's a window, and turning around doesn't seem to be an option.
Yeah, speed records are bad news from a safety perspective. He better hurry up, it doesn't look like he's done a single hard one yet and May starts to get tough for a couple of them.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

gb wrote:
SnowAlien wrote:Little Bear is another good read.

Yeah, speed records are bad news from a safety perspective. He better hurry up, it doesn't look like he's done a single hard one yet and May starts to get tough for a couple of them.
Agreed on the risks, but considering he started January 4th, he has until December 31st to beat the record. Should be interesting.

As for the Sangres (and elsewhere), it will be interesting to see how the weather shakes out this week (and over the following month). Mountain-forecast looks iffy and NOAA looks kind of grim. :?
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

^To Frank's point, if JK is unable to ski the hardest ones in May, he won't be able to finish, since they are not normally skiable past May/June. Of course, everyone has a different definition of what constitutes "a skiable line" on a 14er.

GB - duly noted. Sangres are definitely at the top of the list right now. Congrats on Eureka! Looked amazing. It certainly wasn't as fun in a Fall a few years back, but we were able to add Rito Alto and Hermit to the outing. Long slog for sure.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Hey Cool! Sangres are plastered! That Eureka NE couly had a couple rotten ice and tundra spots early April last year. Looks like the Sangres might actually have a couly season this year.

"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

SnowAlien wrote:^To Frank's point, if JK is unable to ski the hardest ones in May, he won't be able to finish, since they are not normally skiable past May/June. Of course, everyone has a different definition of what constitutes "a skiable line" on a 14er.
The more I now know, thanks for explaining that! So tactically, if he'd done the dirty dozen plus a few over the past four months, he'd be sitting a little prettier? (Seeing as I won't be skiing even the easiest peaks til next year- no AT setup yet- people's big accomplishments are kind of a spectator sport for me...way more interesting than baseball.)
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

^They are not normally skiable before April - May either. That's why it typically takes years to ski them in good conditions and safely, otherwise deal with subpar conditions and non-standard ski lines if you want to get them "done" quicker.