This forum is read-only
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by hberry »

bergsteigen wrote:
patternmike wrote:On a side note, I was curious when you talk about skiing all the 14er's, are they all possible from the summit down? or are there ones that are commonly accepted that they or parts of are not skiable?
The only accepted ones where it can be exceedingly difficult or impossible to ski directly off the summit are El Diente, Wetterhorn and Mt Wilson. All others are quite reasonable on normal snow years - in spring - to get a continuous descent from the exact summit block, down for at least 1K feet or more. I skied the summit section of Wetterhorn, and then down climbed the class 3 wall section. Mt Wilson can be skied from the summit proper on a good snow year (not normal years). I have heard El Diente can also be done summit proper, but that's the only one of the 3 I haven't skied yet. I do plan to repeat Mt Wilson one of these days, when the conditions allow.
Sunlight can be done from the summit block?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

hberry wrote: Sunlight can be done from the summit block?
I hear it can be. Another of the 9 I have yet to ski.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

SnowAlien wrote:
ajkagy wrote: Yes there are standards, yes there are "rules" when claiming to go after a record, but the guy has retracted all of that and admitted now to not chasing a record and admitted to not adhering to the standards for skiing peaks. Wasn't being held accountable for the claims made the whole point? So why keep jumping on the guy's back?

I'd like to at least recognize the feat at hand for skiing that much vert and climbing that many mountains in such a short period of time. Even if he didn't ski from the summit, there aren't many people that can pull off what he actually did.
The answer is emphatically no. First of all, he is still claiming skiiing "almost" all the 14ers in the shortest amount of time with more effort than anyone else (paraphrasing here). Which is complete BS. As Jason Killgore mentioned earlier, ski gear evolution alone makes this dubious claim pointless. Secondly, there's no prize in skimo in hiking with your ultralight AT setup to the summits and then hiking down. This is not how you put your name on the 14er ski finishers list. You have to be a pretty decent skier, and that's the reason the 14er ski finisher list is so small, and not for the lack of trying. Besides, Jason Ivanic already did in 2004 what JK did this year.

As for the effort, Lou Dawson skied them all in a long period of time on heavy gear, coming back again and again for the clean peak descent. Moneymike skied all but one of them solo, breaking trail on most of them. Carl took several attempts to ski Crestone Needle. Brittany came back for Mt Wilson after Dav raised the bar to ski it from the summit. This is just what I am aware of, and it makes JK point completely mute.

As for fitness, half the towns of Crested Butte and Aspen could accomplish JK's "feat" in no time, if they were not all so darn busy competing in their skimo races like Grand Traverse and the likes.
So I guess I'm just not understanding how your rant really will accomplish anything? He was held accountable and been proven to be irrelevant...So what else is there besides forcing him to kiss the feet of the "true" ski mountaineers? :lol:

People keep fanning the flames for the very attention he craves (including newspapers giving him free press). It probably should have been forgotten into obscurity a long time ago, lol
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

ajkagy wrote: People keep fanning the flames for the very attention he craves (including newspapers giving him free press). It probably should have been forgotten into obscurity a long time ago, lol
I am all for that ;) but the newsletters, newspaper articles, and books keep him from sliding into the obscurity...
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

ajkagy wrote:He was held accountable and been proven to be irrelevant...
He was eventually held accountable by Ted after his capitol attempt, when he posted the vague "finished" IG. But then weeks later, he sends out a newsletter where he back tracked to saying he beat the record. He then had to be punted back again by Ted and Chris D. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to saying he beat the record and skied them all in a few months. It's the never ending whack a mole game.

I sincerely hope this whole episode goes back into obscurity where it belongs, and we can forget about JK entirely.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Here's a solution: Someone go to the base of the slope for each 14er, hike up 50 feet, and ski back down in less than 160 days to "take the 'record' " from Kedrowski. No need to ski from the summit if he didn't.
Last edited by TallGrass on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hberry
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

TallGrass wrote:Here's a solution: Someone go to the base of the slope for each 14er, hike up 50 feet, and ski back down in less than 160 days to "take the 'record' " from Kedrowski. No need to ski from the summit if he didn't.
I'm doing Ellingwood via Zapata tomorrow, if there is any snow I'll be skiing it with my boots.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

SnowAlien wrote: As for fitness, half the towns of Crested Butte and Aspen could accomplish JK's "feat" in no time, if they were not all so darn busy competing in their skimo races like Grand Traverse and the likes.
If it's so easy then why hasn't anybody come close to that mark of skiing all the 14ers in less than 6 months? Why haven't you done it yet?
Somewhat of a Prick
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

There is always one defender
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:There is always one defender
maybe I should make you an audio book of my last posts since your reading comprehension is somewhat lacking for making a rather incredulous statement. :roll:
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

ajkagy wrote:
SnowAlien wrote: As for fitness, half the towns of Crested Butte and Aspen could accomplish JK's "feat" in no time, if they were not all so darn busy competing in their skimo races like Grand Traverse and the likes.
If it's so easy then why hasn't anybody come close to that mark of skiing all the 14ers in less than 6 months? Why haven't you done it yet?
Skiing 14ers "in condition" is actually pretty difficult and requires a lot of patience. I prefer skiing from direct summit via the most continuous line. Peaks and lines don't come in condition every year, and in most years the prime skimo season only lasts 6-8 weeks. Finally, I prefer to ski with good partners and not solo, so I have to wait when they become available (mostly on weekends). This spring I only managed to ski 5 new 14ers, all in great conditions. I did ski a bunch of 13ers, for a total of 16 peaks in May and June.
mbourget
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbourget »

SnowAlien wrote:I have to wait when they become available (mostly on weekends).
Damn baby/job...
Those scientists better check their hypotenuses.