Forum rules
This forum is read-only
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by MatB »

As someone who values integrity in an individual, I appreciate that Davenport and Mahon are calling him out.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

MatB wrote:As someone who values integrity in an individual, I appreciate that Davenport and Mahon are calling him out.
I fully agree. On several occasions I have seen things on the Forum that kind of needed the community to call a spade a spade. This is one of them. Full disclosure...I have never skied a 14er. I have put in hard effort when I ran ultra's and raced mtn bikes. I value effort, I value goals, I value a humble nature to ones accomplishments. I also value highly the efforts and means by which predecessors gained their records or accomplishments. The history of things are so valuable and should be respected.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Lmfao, by calling him a baby on this forum, I received the ire of his marketing woman, in the form of a PM. Gasp.

Maybe she should talk to Dav and Mahon - they're the ones rightly calling him out as having not completed the project with ethics.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

d_baker wrote:Maybe you go too far TallGrass. From this thread to the former SAR member that wrote a book then revived TM's memorial thread to hype it, you research every minute detail
Fixed that for you. :wink:

The methods, conflicting statements, treating the injured/dead as a promo opportunity, treating themself as untouchable, denigrating any who question, and other parallels call into question their motives and thereby integrity.

By and large, people here have a passion for hiking, climbing, skiing, camping, and or the rich history of the mountains, and their interaction with others is not contingent on whether they can parlay it into books, speaking engagements, media attention, nor sponsorships. That's the difference between someone in community in all their varied types, and someone just out for all that they can get who feels they're owed.

That Dav' and Mahon both gave the benefit of the doubt to share their time with JK, and remained open to reassess as matters developed then come forth with it, tells me it's more about sharing the passion for them and speaks to their integrity, IMHO.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:“Almost every single one I skied from the top,” Jon Kedrowski Aspen Times June 23, 2016

Sounds like he's "almost" a 14er ski finisher.

The guy is a grown 37 year-old man and cannot own up to the fact that he did not play by the rules and did not ski all the 14ers properly. Sickening.
So he wants a participation trophy, basically.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Pyramid
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pyramid »

Sounds like a bunch of babies crying. I don't care one iota what two east coast gapers think or want. Go back to the east coast [-o< .
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Pyramid wrote:Sounds like a bunch of babies crying. I don't care one iota what two east coast gapers think or want. Go back to the east coast [-o< .
Lol. I'm not sure who you're referring to but this is an excellent first post!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Pyramid wrote:Sounds like a bunch of babies crying. I don't care one iota what two east coast gapers think or want. Go back to the east coast [-o< .
Dr Jon? Is that you? :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Is this thread gonna get to 1000 posts? Still going strong.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I think he's talking about Dav and Mahon. JK..is that you? Or your marketing assistant?
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Hall of Fame! Hall of Fame! [-o<
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

PaliKona wrote:I think he's talking about Dav and Mahon. JK..is that you? Or your marketing assistant?
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Sheesh! If Dav and Mahon are gaper east coasters... I would be proud to join their ranks as a fellow WNY skier!

I thought the marketing assistant wanted the thread to end? Or is the troll confused? Oh well!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina