Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by Kiefer »

Slightly off-topic, but "Sleeping on the summits?"
Is this supposed to be impressive? Let alone, make a book? Huh.... :lol:
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

So when are we just going to stop bringing up this guy's name? His name, accomplishments, blah blah have never been news-worthy and never will be. An embarrassment to the mountaineering community. Everyone who knows anything about climbing and mountaineering knows this. He is lauded by the complete noobs who know squat for sure. Plus, my life seems a bit more even-keeled, good-natured, fun-filled, and less annoyed by other people never hearing of this guy on REI pamphlets and Vail Daily news articles about his latest BS. On the other hand, I do enjoy a good laugh from all of you guys poking fun at this dbag. It is entertaining. So, do what ya wanna do, I guess :)
domanico
Trip Reports (0)

Post by domanico »

The goal is to send each aspiring ski mountaineer in the audience home with new backcountry skiing objectives and stoke for a new season approaching!
Stoke! He's bringing stoke! Don't you 14er types like stookage?!
EZsummits
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EZsummits »

Kiefer wrote:Slightly off-topic, but "Sleeping on the summits?"
The next book will be "Throwing rocks from summits & couloirs" :bow:
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

EZsummits wrote:
Kiefer wrote:Slightly off-topic, but "Sleeping on the summits?"
The next book will be "Throwing rocks from summits & couloirs" :bow:
"Exceptions to LNT: Personal Marketing is Important. A guide on where to leave your business cards and when to exaggerate or misrepresent your accomplishments"

A few lucky folks will win a one-on-one tutorial about flaming your former friends for choosing to go to Peru instead of Denali with your new sidedish who lacks mountain experience.

(spoiler: the answers of that book are everywhere and always, according to the doctor)
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

wow, too bad no one told REI about his antics, perhaps they would have thought better of the whole thing?
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

from his new guidebook published by the Colorado Mountain Club Press/Mountaineers Books
Sure glad the CMC is enabling his behavior. :cry:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

jmanner wrote:
from his new guidebook published by the Colorado Mountain Club Press/Mountaineers Books
Sure glad the CMC is enabling his behavior. :cry:
Nice catch. That's pretty disappointing.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Will there be mass protests and displays of uncivil behavior at the event?
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

scalba123 wrote:Will there be mass protests and displays of uncivil behavior at the event?
We can only hope.

Think of it like this: what if someone trying to claim they made Memphis's best BBQ, but didn't even smoke the meat and used chicken. How would the average Memphian react?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
nomanslandCO
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomanslandCO »

The class sounded interesting to me until I read this thread. Can you guys give a little background on this guy to someone who is relatively new to this site/subculture?
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

nomanslandCO wrote:The class sounded interesting to me until I read this thread. Can you guys give a little background on this guy to someone who is relatively new to this site/subculture?
Kedrowski is a very athletic person in great physical shape, who has done a lot of mountains.

He also suffers from malignant narcissism and dishonesty, and has lied about accomplishments such as skiing all of the 14ers in "a single winter/spring season" (supposedly beating Davenport's record...this was before that military guy legitimately set a new record). Not only did he not do it in under a year, he did not meet the standards that were set by prior ski finishers of the 14ers, so he technically hasn't skied all of them (though he has skied ON all of them). When Ted Mahon and Chris Davenport tried to call him out on his lack of transparency, he chose to try to flame them. There are rumors of him treating paying clients badly, too.