Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by jmanner »

WVMountaineer wrote:
LURE wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:

Uh, no. REAL BBQ comes from Texas, no two ways about it pardner. And I mean brisket. The rest is just not even close. Not sure what his has to do with "Dr" J though.
Real BBQ comes from any guy or gal with a smoker, passion, a tried and true recipe, and quality meat. This can be found in any state from Florida to Alaska.
I'm still questioning the kind of meat. After moving here, I was puzzled when I found out that when somebody says "BBQ" that they meant anything cooked on the grill -> from hot dogs to steaks to actual BBQ. Where I grew up, that called grilling and BBQ at the very least has Barbecue sauce on it but most likely melt in your mouth smoked Pork, Ribs, or Brisket.
Man, I sure am with you on that. 9.5 years in CO and I am still confused.

I think the mean it like the English and Aussies: 'The a steak on that Bar-B' or whatever.

Good job to Benjy for the REI solution for the win.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

If it ain't slow smoked, it ain't BBQ.
Just like if you don't ski from the summit, you didn't ski the 14er.

(I also sent John Fielder a note to do some research on Dr. Propaganda.)
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

There is a difference between the verb "to barbecue" and the food type BBQ. Both result in deliciousness. Only one involves one of the only two sauces I consider acceptable (the second being sriracha).
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Ulla
14ers: 37  17 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ulla »

JQDivide wrote:If it ain't slow smoked, it ain't BBQ.

I also sent Mr. Fielder a note - plagiarized BenFromTheEast's note to REI. He asked for facts to back this up, so I sent him the link to this thread. This is his reply:

"I do not buy it. I have spent a lot of time with him in the wilderness. He is too good of a mountaineer and too good of a person to have to take short cuts to achieve success. As for self-promotion, I, too, have been resented by others for what I have accomplished via self-promotion. It is an inappropriate response...perhaps jealousy. Jon and I share the joy of running our own businesses and sharing the good things we believe we have to offer to others interested in the outdoor lifestyle. If he has made any mistakes, and we all do, I think they would be outweighed by what he contributes to making the world a better place...John"
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

AnnaG22 wrote:Only one involves one of the only two sauces I consider acceptable (the second being sriracha).
Oh man, missing out you are.

Bernaise
Hollandaise
Roasted pepper coulis
Chimichurri
Pesto
Good buffalo sauce on grilled wings
Red wine reductions
Picata

On and on
Make wilderness less accessible.
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Ulla wrote:

I also sent Mr. Fielder a note - plagiarized BenFromTheEast's note to REI. He asked for facts to back this up, so I sent him the link to this thread. This is his reply:

"I do not buy it. I have spent a lot of time with him in the wilderness. He is too good of a mountaineer and too good of a person to have to take short cuts to achieve success. As for self-promotion, I, too, have been resented by others for what I have accomplished via self-promotion. It is an inappropriate response...perhaps jealousy. Jon and I share the joy of running our own businesses and sharing the good things we believe we have to offer to others interested in the outdoor lifestyle. If he has made any mistakes, and we all do, I think they would be outweighed by what he contributes to making the world a better place...John"
Surely somebody screenshot the GPS tracks during his ski project. Specifically, when his GPS was turned off after being on throughout a climb. Also, I know that some of his partners during the project are the ones who called BS. Tell Mr. Fielder to have a conversation with the Mahons, Davenport, etc.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Dave B wrote:
AnnaG22 wrote:Only one involves one of the only two sauces I consider acceptable (the second being sriracha).
Oh man, missing out you are.

Bernaise
Hollandaise
Roasted pepper coulis
Chimichurri
Pesto
Good buffalo sauce on grilled wings
Red wine reductions
Picata

On and on
I consider pesto a paste rather than a sauce, though it is excellent. As for the others...MEH.

JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Ulla wrote:

Got the same reply.... Told him to go do some research on his buddy.
JQ
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Ulla wrote:

Gosh, it almost sounds like collusion. Mr. Fielder surely would disapprove if he knew all these things to be true, no? Or is he also not the guy he seems to be? Comes across as scripted denial.

Regardless the guy takes a good photo.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Barbecue is about rubbing, smoking, and saucing pork, beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, sausage, fish, or burnt ends. It's not boiled and dipped. It can't be done in a few minutes on the grill. Kansas City's got it all (though personally I'm not a fan of "White BBQ" which is mayonnaise-based though it's gained some traction of late).

One reviewer inquired about the secret to the best collard greens he'd ever had. The owners were from Oklahoma (KC style) and added drippings from their barbecuing meats to the greens. Even plants taste better with BBQ. =P~
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

tmahon wrote:
gb wrote:Thanks Ted. That's amazing that he still thinks that not only did he legitimately skied the 14ers, he even raised the bar when he did so. And now he's trying to further legitimize himself with a book and book tour. No question about it, it's frustrating for anyone who has ever put the time in to do something the right way.
It is frustrating, and it's a bad example for the next generation who might want to ski these peaks themselves someday.

Sorry you have to compete with this. I'm not sure what you do when your competitor is out there making up stuff to qualify him as a guidebook author. I don't know how you counter that.
We counter it with a way better book :) At the end of the day, plenty of people who don't know a thing about Dr K or Brittany and I will have each book in each hand, trying to decide. I bet a few people in this thread even end up getting a copy of Dr K's book for Christmas. It is what it is, and we had a good time writing the book so it's all good.

I think the next generation has good examples to emulate too. Josh did his thing after Dr K, so there you go.. Speaking of which, it might be time for a little youtube :)
mojah
14ers: 58  32  11 
13ers: 35 3 1
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mojah »

Man do I look forward to the annual JK SS.

PS: Not my photo.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1508889544493.jpg
FB_IMG_1508889544493.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
"And this might get me in trouble, but ski mountaineering. I don't know why. You all seem like great people, and I'm sure it's just envy on my part. But there's just something annoying about planning a climb, getting in shape, and all the buildup that goes into dragging myself up a couloir to finally reach the top, and then getting on here and seeing somebody basically say, "Now watch me ski this with nary a mention of how I even got up here." You all make me sick :wink:"
-jaymz