Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by justiner »

I don't think it was the lack of tracks, but the timestamp of the tracks didn't make sense.

And, Pyramid was skied solo?! (or can someone vouch for K's daring feat?) I'm sure it's climbed in Winter conditions like, all the time, or whatever - but the only other person I know who tried was Montoya.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

justiner wrote:I'm sure it's climbed in Winter conditions like, all the time, or whatever - but the only other person I know who tried was Montoya.
Pyramid has been done solo in winter by quite a few. Montoya wasn't tryin to ski it.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Ptglhs
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

So Kedrowski is no Roald Amundsen. The question remains: is he a Cook, a Byrd, or a Peary?
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

justiner wrote:I don't think it was the lack of tracks, but the timestamp of the tracks didn't make sense.

And, Pyramid was skied solo?! (or can someone vouch for K's daring feat?) I'm sure it's climbed in Winter conditions like, all the time, or whatever - but the only other person I know who tried was Montoya.
Justiner,

I assume you mean Montoya was the only other person who has tried to ski it, right?
Didn't Aron Ralston climb all the 14ers solo in winter(s)?
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Sean Nunn wrote:
justiner wrote:I don't think it was the lack of tracks, but the timestamp of the tracks didn't make sense.

Justiner,

I assume you mean Montoya was the only other person who has tried to ski it that shared that fact on this website, right?
Didn't Aron Ralston climb all the 14ers solo in winter(s)?
Aspen locals do all of those peaks regularly, and though some share their endeavors on instagram or occassionally YouTube/vimeo, many others do not, and almost none post here. Three or four acquaintances of mine skied the Landry line last winter, one of whom was on tele skis, and none of them utilize this website whatsoever.
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

That's why I wrote, I'm sure it's climbed in Winter conditions like, all the time, or whatever

Or Edit: Are people usually skiing Pyramid solo?
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

justiner wrote:Or Edit: Are people usually skiing Pyramid solo?
MoneyMike did. But he had a bunch of arrogant basterds in his pack so not sure if that counts.

I'm not claiming to know everything about PYR, but I do like the peak.

Furthermore,
AnnaG22 wrote:Aspen locals do all of those peaks regularly, and though some share their endeavors on instagram or occassionally YouTube/vimeo, many other do not, and almost none post here.
^This. same goes with the SJs. "Honey, i'm going out for milk, and the landry line."
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

justiner wrote:That's why I wrote, I'm sure it's climbed in Winter conditions like, all the time, or whatever

Or Edit: Are people usually skiing Pyramid solo?
I believe Mojah skied Pyramid, solo, on the same day of one of the Doctor's attempts.
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

mountaingoat-G wrote:just saw this in our local newspaper !!!Dr Jon.jpg
3 volcanos at 18,000’. :^o

Interesting since there is only one volcano above 18,000’ (Orizaba), then there’s Popocatepetl which isn’t safe to climb due to volcanic activity at 17,800’, and Izta at 17,159’.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

RobLowe wrote:

Interesting since there is only one volcano above 18,000’ (Orizaba), then there’s Popocatepetl which isn’t safe to climb due to volcanic activity at 17,800’, and Izta at 17,159’.
Assuming that he's counting Toluca (~15k) instead of Popo, given the latter's activity... I'm still trying to understand how those 3 in 5 days is brag-worthy seeing as that's really doable.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

AnnaG22 wrote:
RobLowe wrote:

Assuming that he's counting Toluca (~15k) instead of Popo, given the latter's activity... I'm still trying to understand how those 3 in 5 days is brag-worthy seeing as that's really doable.
It just sounds damn sexy! And most people outside this world of ours just start to go stat blind when reading his achumplishments. He could list Olympus Mons and someone would say "Ahh he's also climbed in Greece."
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

"In 2009 Jon climbed the three Highest Volcanoes in Mexico (18,000' high) in only 5 days." (sic)

Considering the word salad that is the rest of that article, I don't know that they intended to imply that all 3 were over 18K. I think they just don't know how to construct a sentence that conveys the desired meaning.

Also, capitalizing Highest Volcanoes was an interesting choice.... Why not "HIGHEST VOLCANOES!!!!!"? That would have made him seem way cooler.

RobLowe wrote: