Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by TallGrass »

Ulla wrote:I also sent Mr. Fielder a note ... He asked for facts to back this up, so I sent him the link to this thread. This is his reply: "I do not buy it. ... He is too good of a mountaineer."
What about starting with JK's own words and this thread? Don't you need skis to ski? https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 76#p600507
SnowAlien wrote:Little Bear is another good read.
http://14erskirecord.com/little-bear-peak-14037/
Kedrowski14erskirecordcom-little-bear-peak-14037.JPG
Kedrowski14erskirecordcom-little-bear-peak-14037.JPG (55.75 KiB) Viewed 16564 times
"Above the hourglass I made some turns and side slipped down to right above the steepest part. There was a small choke of ice and snow that would have to be skied in a straight line with a quick right turn to the wider top of the hourglass. Without too much more thought I went for it. The rest of what transpired is something unlike anything I have ever personally experienced in my ski-mountaineering career. I’ve seen a lot of things on my years of expeditions and skiing, but I have never been the victim. My skis wouldn’t bite when I carved my right turn into the slope. I lost my balance and fell backwards. I spun around and plunged down the hill and into the couloir. I immediately accelerated. My mind screamed, “self- arrest, self arrest, stop, stop, stop!” But my friends around me watched and heard nothing but silence. My ice axe got ripped from my hands, my skis popped off and went flying. I accelerated some more. Somehow I first managed to get my head up and face my feet out like I was riding downstream floating in a river or down a slide in the park. I don’t know how but I steered myself away from the walls of the narrow choke point in the hourglass. Realizing I had no tools to stop me, I turned around and dug in with every other part of my body: mainly my knees, hands, elbows, and feet. A hundred and fifty yards later I came to an abrupt stop." -- Jon Kedrowski on "skiing" Little Bear
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I think it's part of the problem to explain to the average person interested in outdoors what's going on. Summit ski, continuous line (not rock skiing), at least 1k vertical skied directly off the summit is semantics for most people. JK had his skis on and skied on a mountain? That's more than a lot of people can do, so they'll buy his books.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

TallGrass wrote: No Ice Axe
In his defense, he may be referring to his whippet. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... 0ALL1.html

Or he's just like the Ueber liar.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
billycox
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billycox »

Slow Groovin' BBQ in Marble gets it.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

CANCELLED: A Colorado Winter Classic Colorado Ski Descents
Overview
This event has been cancelled.
1 session
Wed
Nov 15
Ft Collins REI
6:30pm - 8:00pm
https://www.rei.com/events/82671/skiing ... i-descents

Google cache shows the change happened after Tues, Oct 24, 2017 23:34:52 GMT (5:34pm Mountain).
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

REI made a good choice
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:REI made a good choice
You're back already? Did you tag out?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

LURE wrote:
I have deer AND elk and need a buck. Our crew got 4 elk this week. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
LURE wrote:
I have deer AND elk and need a buck. Our crew got 4 elk this week. :)
Heck yeah! Congrats!
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

just saw this in our local newspaper !!!
Dr Jon.jpg
Dr Jon.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 15682 times
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

A) That blurb is horribly written.
B ) ...wait, doing three Mexican volcanoes in five days is a big deal?
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

That's a train wreck of words so desperately strung together.