Bags of poop beside the trail?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Bags of poop beside the trail?

Post by Cruiser »

What is the deal with the bags of poop along the sides of popular trails? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that folks are scooping the poop. But what's to stop them from double bagging it and then tucking it into their pack?

I hate to be a winer. But really, if you're going to accept the responsibility of taking your hound into the wilderness then can't you also accept the fact that other people don't want to see bags of $h1t along the trail?
Where ever you are... There you are.
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Bags of poop beside the trail?

Post by harrise »

Lazy. They're not going to pick it up on the way back either. I really hate this practice that seems to be gaining popularity.

It'd be too easy to even put an empty pack on the mongrel and have him pack it.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

You probably have two options:

(A) find less crowded trails

- or -

(B) complain about the bags of poop on a mountaineering message board
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Here in the People's Republic of Chicago, I have seen dog owners bag their pooch's poop and then leave at the entryway of some random building, as if they are doing a favor.
please rotate your device
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I do a bit of both. But it begs the question, are those your bags of $h1T Aug? Cuz if they are then I'd be interested to hear your rationale.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Nope. My dog is a house dog. She's not up for 14ers. I wish she was. I guess I just don't get bent out of shape over something I can't control. For what it is worth - my buddy and I got done climbing Ruby today and there was a full bottle if water littered in the road on the way out. I stopped my truck, got out and picked it up, put it in my truck to throw it away later. Have you ever considered that, maybe chipping in to keep our trails clean? And no - it is not your job to clean up after others so let's just get that rebuttal out of the way.

Also, how do you know the owners did not pick it up?
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

Grab a stick and tee it up. Easier than bagging it! Pisses me off when I see the blue bag on trail or glacier!
To the High Crags!
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

Be cautious about cleaning up along roadsides - there are "those" who will use bottles to relieve themselves - and then toss them along the road. Left for some time in the sunshine, the bottles can explode or leak. If you are inclined to clean up, remember to wear thick gloves, use hand-sanitizer freely, and always triple bag the trash!
rocky
south fork, colorado
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

I'll pick up my dog poop in the woods, when cows and horses carry out their own also :idea:
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I can't believe someone would bag dog poop in the woods.
My understanding is that it decomposes, turns into topsoil, and plants grow.
Why do you bag and carry out your dog poop? Do you hate plants?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

How many of you bag and pack out your own poop? To me, the plastic bags are what make it a problem.....
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

chrismjx wrote:How many of you bag and pack out your own poop? To me, the plastic bags are what make it a problem.....
As a non dog owner, I'd rather see the poop than the bags