Bags of poop beside the trail?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Bags of poop beside the trail?

Post by tlongpine »

Might be human waste.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Better hire the Poopsmith!
poopsmith.jpg
poopsmith.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

Please pick up your crap, your dogs crap, your trash, your water bottles, and your food wrappers. Please stop throwing frisbees and golf balls from summits. Please stop leaving signs and food bags on summits. Please stay on the trail. This stuff is not difficult, stop making it difficult!
I'm slower than Scott P.
rlovingjr
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlovingjr »

globreal wrote: I was once taugh a valuable life-lesson by a former employer: if you see a problem, you now own it. Whenever possible, I try to live my life that way.
My Grandfather taught me a similar lesson. "If you borrow something bring it back better than you found it." I like to apply to hiking trails, camp sites and other things I encounter in my daily routine. Trash on a trail or in a camp site is picked up and packed out with the rest of my stuff. I would not apply this philosophy to poop bags, liquid filled bottles or TP unless I was geared up and prepared to do that type of clean up.
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

SikYou wrote:I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

Please pick up your crap, your dogs crap, your trash, your water bottles, and your food wrappers. Please stop throwing frisbees and golf balls from summits. Please stop leaving signs and food bags on summits. Please stay on the trail. This stuff is not difficult, stop making it difficult!
++1!
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Repeat Ascender
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Repeat Ascender »

mountainjock
14ers: 7 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainjock »

I pack the poo bags out. Common sense really. However, I did a few peaks maybe three or four weeks ago, then I got busy taking care of a passing family member. I went into the gear room last night, and sure enough I forgot the poo bag from the last trip!!!!! :wft: Better to stink up the basement than the wilderness I guess!!!!!
ewaag23
14ers: 29  4 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ewaag23 »

SikYou wrote:
I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

+1.
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

I really didn't want to open this thread, much less participate, but did anyway. I use the blue WAG bag system and have found it a bit unpleasant on the hike out, especially in hot summer months. To remedy this I bought some scent blocking bags, I think Depends makes them, and they really work. You can forget about them in the gear room for weeks.
Pest
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pest »

I can understand all the viewpoints presented and I can't say anybody is completely wrong.

Here's what we do:

Dayhikes: Dog carries a small ziplock with cat litter in it. We bag the poo and add a little cat litter to control the smell. Dog carries poo bags.

Multi-day/Multi-week Backpacking: We bury the poo just like we bury human poo.
MissFreestyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MissFreestyle »

What kills me is that I take my kids out ALL the time, they see something pink or blue next to the trail and run over and grab it. I can't tell you how many times they've grabbed bags of crap left trail side by other hikers.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

MissFreestyle wrote:What kills me is that I take my kids out ALL the time, they see something pink or blue next to the trail and run over and grab it. I can't tell you how many times they've grabbed bags of crap left trail side by other hikers.
I can't imagine that's a mistake anyone would make more than once.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.