Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by onebyone »

Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!

@one those were not Goldens, but Goldens bite many people every year.
I have yet to see it.

Goldens are a breed that has the lowest or one of the lowest dog bite incidents. Fact.
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

One time I was hiking in santa fe and was approached on trail by two off leash dogs and a guy who said "oh shes friendly, oh but him, ya thats my borthers dog, hes not friendly i dont know what his deal is." I couldnt believe he just said that so casually as the dog ran up to me and started growling, snarling and biting my on leash dog. Luckily my Siberian Husky is weng chun master and put the dog in its place. People complain about hearing "oh he/she is friendly" but trust me its surreal to hear the opposite.

Onleash/onleash or offleash/offleash dog interactions seem to be less tense than offleash/onleash interactions. A good dog that is on leash might feel more threatened or jealous because he is restrained while the approaching dog is offleash, whereas if they were both on or off leash, the tension would not be there. Off leash dogs sometimes troll onleash dogs because they know they are restrained. Since not all dogs are capable of being offleash, I think it is best that all dogs stay onleash to avoid onleash/offleash encounters

I also would like to throw it out there that sometimes a on-leash dog is more likely to kick down rocks because you are restricting their movement and causing them to land awkwardly or less graceful while on leash. Also, skiing downhill with your dog onleash is really difficult/dangerous.

This is the "Tragedy of The Commons" that we all struggle with.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

JTOlson26 wrote:I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
yup...a lot of quacking from both sides.

doggie-duck-style.jpg
doggie-duck-style.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

Easier to properly dispose and keep track of dog fecal waste when the dog is on leash. Although most people seem to be peak baggin way too high speed and laissez-faire to care about that.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

d_baker wrote:
JTOlson26 wrote:I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
yup...a lot of quacking from both sides.

doggie-duck-style.jpg
Love it!
greenbee1978
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenbee1978 »

I wonder if those who find this amusing would laugh if they knew a study by the CDC shows dogs are 85% more likely than cats to cause serious falls? In addition, this means the dog owner is liable for any person's fall, especially if the dog is off-leash (i.e. negligence) at the time of the incident. Still funny?

In order to win a negligence lawsuit, the injured person only has to prove:

The owner had a duty to manage their dog's behavior, but did not, and was negligent because they failed to meet that duty. Finally, the owner's negligence directly (or “proximately”) caused the injured person’s harm.

Imagine an expensive lawsuit, paying for someone else's medical care and knowing your behavior, or lack thereof, seriously injured another person or worse. Still "laughing out loud"?

Unfortunately, the most likely option, will result in a ban on our four-legged friends. It's too bad we can't just ban their owners instead. I love dogs, especially well-trained dogs, and enjoy seeing their happy faces out on the trail, but when they'e underfoot they're not really a value-add.

Happy and Safe Hiking!
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Now, that is hilarious. Anytime I'm asked for my name and address in the wilderness for an off-leash dog, I make it up. Never carry ID. Sometime it's hard to keep a straight face when I watch the forest ranger taking down the info.

The injured person will be sending their paperwork to a non-existent address. Good luck with that. :-D

BTW, your first post and you start off with this?
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

greenbee1978 wrote:I wonder if those who find this amusing would laugh if they knew a study by the CDC shows dogs are 85% more likely than cats to cause serious falls? In addition, this means the dog owner is liable for any person's fall, especially if the dog is off-leash (i.e. negligence) at the time of the incident. Still funny?
I don't quite follow the reasoning presented in this post. Cats are too small (or quick) to be tripped over, nobody "walks" a cat, cats aren't up and about that much in the house (i.e., they don't do s--t)...so of course dogs would be more likely to cause a fall, in an incidence comparison between the 2 species. And the fact that dogs cause more falls...as a data point...has no direct relevance on an owner's liability for another's fall...it's simply that a dog caused someone's fall.

From the CDC: "Among falls involving dogs, 61.6% occurred in or around the home, and 16.4% in the street or other public place. A location was not specified for 20.3% of cases. Twenty-six percent of falls involving dogs occurred while persons were walking them, and the most frequent circumstances were falling or tripping over a dog (31.3%) and being pushed or pulled by a dog (21.2%). Falling over a pet item (e.g., a toy or food bowl) accounted for 8.8% of fall injuries. Approximately 38.7% involved other or unknown circumstances."

So for the data for which a location is specified and for which the circumstances are known, it appears that the dogs' owners are the ones who fell. greenbee1978's citation of these data in a discussion of off-leash dogs in the wilderness is a stretch.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

On Huron last weekend, I had my whole family with me. We met a group with an off leash dog. The dogs owner just shouted out “sorry, he doesn’t have very good trail manners” as he brushed by us. He didn’t really bother us too much but his owner thought he was soooo cute...
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

greenbee1978 wrote:I wonder if those who find this amusing would laugh if they knew a study by the CDC shows dogs are 85% more likely than cats to cause serious falls? In addition, this means the dog owner is liable for any person's fall, especially if the dog is off-leash (i.e. negligence) at the time of the incident. Still funny?

In order to win a negligence lawsuit, the injured person only has to prove:

The owner had a duty to manage their dog's behavior, but did not, and was negligent because they failed to meet that duty. Finally, the owner's negligence directly (or “proximately”) caused the injured person’s harm.

Imagine an expensive lawsuit, paying for someone else's medical care and knowing your behavior, or lack thereof, seriously injured another person or worse. Still "laughing out loud"?

Unfortunately, the most likely option, will result in a ban on our four-legged friends. It's too bad we can't just ban their owners instead. I love dogs, especially well-trained dogs, and enjoy seeing their happy faces out on the trail, but when they'e underfoot they're not really a value-add.

Happy and Safe Hiking!
Great first post, problem solved then! :wink:
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

randalmartin wrote:
coloradobob wrote:Dog owners, please remember that when you are in one of the Wilderness areas that your dogs must be on leash at all time. This past Saturday August 22nd while climbing Yale (Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area) I saw a young couple with four (4) dogs, none of which were on leash.
As someone that has done some volunteer hours on peaks for CFI and talked with owners, the owners always think their dog is different and their pet shouldn't have to be on a leash.
Very similar to kids in schools: everyone wants teacher to be strict in their classes, until they are strict with that person's kid.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6