Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by Jesse M »

randalmartin wrote:
Jesse M wrote:I think people who hike with their dog off leash are selfish and are putting others at risk.
+1.

If I had a dollar for every time a dog owner has said, "My dog responds to voice commands.....". Such BS.
I do believe a well trained dog can be off leash, a well trained dog. Barking is aggression and should be corrected by dog owners. People should never have a legitimate reason to be in fear of an off leash dog, that is not okay. Those who put in the proper training should not be penalized for bad dog owners. If your dog truly "never does that", MAKE A CORRECTION, don't brush it off or justify it with "never does that", they will do it again. It is your responsibility off leash dog walkers!
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

Jesse M wrote: This event took place on segment 12 in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness near the ridge of Waverly Mountain at 11,500+.
Oh man, that's a bad part of town! I've been warned about segment 12 in the past. Seriously though, that situation does sound like it sucked but perhaps not a reason to leash em all up.

Can we fast forward to the part of this rekindled thread where one guys like: "Dogs suck off leash." And then some bro bro chimes in and he's all like: "Hey man don't blame the dogs, it's the owners who are being irresponsible." Then another hero is like: "This one time on Quandary a dog sneezed on my shoe, can you believe it? Right on the #&%·## shoe!" And then someone finally and out of nowhere, blames it on Obama. #thanksObama
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Maybe it's just me, but I never get nervous when a run into a golden retriever off leash. lol
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Jesse M wrote:Had my dog been with me, the situation could have been much worse, an intact husky on a leash that is very defensive of me.
Why do you have an intact husky?
Jesse M
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Jesse M wrote:Had my dog been with me, the situation could have been much worse, an intact husky on a leash that is very defensive of me.
None of your business
Jesse M
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!

@one those were not Goldens, but Goldens bite many people every year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!
That sucks. Do you have more to add to the story concerning what happened?

Was the owner around for either the attack on you or the other hiker?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jesse M
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Scott P wrote:
Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!
That sucks. Do you have more to add to the story concerning what happened?

Was the owner around for either the attack on you or the other hiker?
The owner was camping at Pine Creek that night, at least 1.6 miles and 1,200 ft downhill from the dogs. I arrived around 7 and they were asking hikers if they had seen their dogs. I expressed my concern and disgust with the situation. I don't know much about the attack on the other hiker, I heard from other people I met a few days later on the trail. I did see the owners at the highway 50 crossing, over 50 miles away without their dogs.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

A few years back I was coming down the steep slope on Mt. Yale and at around 13,000' 2 dogs running up the trail with their owner over 100 yards away started attacking my dog (who was on a leash). I had to kick the dogs away while trying to pick my dog up (she is 40 lbs.). Even after I had my dogs in my arms the other 2 off leash dogs kept leaping up on me and biting at my dog’s legs and feet. Eventually I lost my balance and fell over while still holding my dog, but fortunately the owner finally arrived and called her dogs off. The owner seemed clueless that what had just happened was a direct result of not having her dogs under control and on a leash. Although she was yelling at the dogs while she made her way up to me, the dogs did not respond at all. After she shooed her dogs away from me and pushed them up the trail, she made a quick under her breath apology and kept hiking.

I have lost count on how many times I have had dog owners with off leash dogs tell me sorry for approaching me and nearly starting a fight with my dog, sorry for getting into my backpack while I’m taking a break along the trail, sorry for trying to steal food out of my hand, sorry as their dog/dogs approach me and stop/block the trail and force me to stop hiking, sorry for wandering into my campsite in search of food, or “don’t worry my dog is friendly”. Often these occurrences have happened in areas where dogs are supposed to be leashed, but owners just don’t seem to care. Apparently their dog is an angel and the laws and general courtesy doesn’t apply to them.

I have been a lifelong dog owner and lover, but I really feel that on most hiking trails dogs need to be on leash, especially 14er and other popular trails.

Collegiate Peak Wilderness rules include- DOGS-

Please remember, DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES! Dogs can harass, stress, injure or kill wildlife, annoy fellow hikers and introduce disease.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

randalmartin wrote: If I had a dollar for every time a dog owner has said, "My dog responds to voice commands.....". Such BS.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn
I could arm a town the size of Abilene

:mrgreen:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Jesse M wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:
None of your business
Awesome response....clear, concise, to the point.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

I have two dogs who I bring to the woods often and try to be as courteous as possible with them. Both dogs are hunting trained and absolutely respond to my commands, but I am perfectly happy keeping them on leash too. The steps below have helped me be a less annoying dog owner...I think.

1) If a trail has a leash law, then they are on a leash. Simple and probably avoids most issues.

2) If dogs are allowed off leash, I let them off. I keep them close (usually behind me) and if we see another dog coming our way or a party with small children I leash my dogs. Popular trails they are usually on leash until we get past the crowds.

3) If your dog doesn't listen, has any aggression ect. just keep them on a leash or leave them at home. So many people think they're dogs listen well and they completely ignore the owner haha. It's really that simple.

4) Clean the poop. I've found bringing air tight plastic tupperware keeps the stink in and your gear safe. People 'forgetting' to pick up their poop bags on the hike out is way too common

Intact males...there are many reasons to keep your dog's balls, I won't get into that. Just because a dog is intact doesn't make it aggressive :lol: . Many male hunting dogs are intact for at least some time in their life and I've never seen a dog fight hunting. You know why...because the dogs are well trained and socialized.