Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers:summits41 winter7 
13ers:summits12 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by XterraRob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:37 am

SurfNTurf wrote:... especially when you consider a decent percentage of the hiking community consists of socially maladjusted psychopaths.
Le Marmot
14ers: List not added

Post by Le Marmot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Richard Derkase wrote: The problem here is not dogs; it's owners. Your dog is in no danger from me. But that dog the gatekeeper posted would get thumped with great vengeance and furious anger, since we're using
movie references.

Dick
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iahGMAtq5vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
paul109876
14ers:summits8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

As a dog owner, I feel it is my responsibility to keep my dogs safe and protect them. Just as they would protect me. Although my dogs are very smart there are too many things that can go wrong when left to just run off leash.
And I owe it to others to control my pets.Just like my kids.
For a long time I was afraid of dogs due to being attacked when I was younger. I'm sure there are people on the trail who feel as I did and I sure don't want to ruin their day by having my dogs approach them even if they mean no harm.
River dogs.JPG
River dogs.JPG (168.96 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
Thor and Harley. FYI, they met Bruce Wayne at the local dog park.
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
Oldskool70
14ers:summits28 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Oldskool70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Dick[/quote]

As you said, I didn't even really have you in mind while writing my initial post. Sorry if that was miscontrued. I was mostly thinking of other posters here and comments I've seen elsewhere over the years. I also witnessed a dog get kicked with a mountaineering boot in a trailhead parking lot just because it was running BY someone with its tail wagging to get a drink from a nearby stream. Wasn't even acknowledging its attacker, but got punted anyway. (It was a 30ish-pound dog, too -- that boot could have done some real damage.) On one side of the spectrum are crappy dog owners who let their aggressive uncontrolled dog run rampant. On the other side are people who will reenact the printer scene from Office Space with their trekking pole because a dog looked at them. The blanket online threats are scary, especially when you consider a decent percentage of the hiking community consists of socially maladjusted psychopaths.[/quote]

Yepper those evil 'other posters' are soooo scary. They plan that fateful day the moment they woke up to hit the trail. When I stopped on the trail to let the two women pass- vengeance was on my mind. When they said " Go ahead & pass, you're fine" I crept into action. When I passed them ( and the quite, leashed dog) more worried about the cactus to my right versus the leashed dog to my left, & got bit on my calf they immediately fell into my devious psychotic plan. BAHAHAHAH!!!! task completed. :twisted:
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
onebyone
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Post by onebyone » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!

@one those were not Goldens, but Goldens bite many people every year.
I have yet to see it.

Goldens are a breed that has the lowest or one of the lowest dog bite incidents. Fact.
Lobojasper

Post by Lobojasper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:03 pm

One time I was hiking in santa fe and was approached on trail by two off leash dogs and a guy who said "oh shes friendly, oh but him, ya thats my borthers dog, hes not friendly i dont know what his deal is." I couldnt believe he just said that so casually as the dog ran up to me and started growling, snarling and biting my on leash dog. Luckily my Siberian Husky is weng chun master and put the dog in its place. People complain about hearing "oh he/she is friendly" but trust me its surreal to hear the opposite.

Onleash/onleash or offleash/offleash dog interactions seem to be less tense than offleash/onleash interactions. A good dog that is on leash might feel more threatened or jealous because he is restrained while the approaching dog is offleash, whereas if they were both on or off leash, the tension would not be there. Off leash dogs sometimes troll onleash dogs because they know they are restrained. Since not all dogs are capable of being offleash, I think it is best that all dogs stay onleash to avoid onleash/offleash encounters

I also would like to throw it out there that sometimes a on-leash dog is more likely to kick down rocks because you are restricting their movement and causing them to land awkwardly or less graceful while on leash. Also, skiing downhill with your dog onleash is really difficult/dangerous.

This is the "Tragedy of The Commons" that we all struggle with.
JTOlson26
14ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:20 pm

I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
d_baker
14ers:summits58 winter15 
13ers:summits277 winter9 
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 pm

JTOlson26 wrote:I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
yup...a lot of quacking from both sides.

doggie-duck-style.jpg
doggie-duck-style.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
Lobojasper

Post by Lobojasper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Easier to properly dispose and keep track of dog fecal waste when the dog is on leash. Although most people seem to be peak baggin way too high speed and laissez-faire to care about that.
JTOlson26
14ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:36 am

d_baker wrote:
JTOlson26 wrote:I didn't read a single post on this thread, but after being a member here for 10 years, all I can "say" is....

LOL.
yup...a lot of quacking from both sides.

doggie-duck-style.jpg
Love it!
greenbee1978
13ers:summits1 

Post by greenbee1978 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I wonder if those who find this amusing would laugh if they knew a study by the CDC shows dogs are 85% more likely than cats to cause serious falls? In addition, this means the dog owner is liable for any person's fall, especially if the dog is off-leash (i.e. negligence) at the time of the incident. Still funny?

In order to win a negligence lawsuit, the injured person only has to prove:

The owner had a duty to manage their dog's behavior, but did not, and was negligent because they failed to meet that duty. Finally, the owner's negligence directly (or “proximately”) caused the injured person’s harm.

Imagine an expensive lawsuit, paying for someone else's medical care and knowing your behavior, or lack thereof, seriously injured another person or worse. Still "laughing out loud"?

Unfortunately, the most likely option, will result in a ban on our four-legged friends. It's too bad we can't just ban their owners instead. I love dogs, especially well-trained dogs, and enjoy seeing their happy faces out on the trail, but when they'e underfoot they're not really a value-add.

Happy and Safe Hiking!
Bill G

Post by Bill G » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Now, that is hilarious. Anytime I'm asked for my name and address in the wilderness for an off-leash dog, I make it up. Never carry ID. Sometime it's hard to keep a straight face when I watch the forest ranger taking down the info.

The injured person will be sending their paperwork to a non-existent address. Good luck with that. :-D

BTW, your first post and you start off with this?