Dogs in RMNP

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Dogs in RMNP

Post by justiner »

Well, one of the reasons for, "no dogs" is to protect wildlife from dogs; the other is to protect dogs from wildlife.

Also, I don't know if all wildlife would simply get used to dogs. Even see a dog go after a pika? Or a heard of elk? We're talkin' city-slicker dogs brought with them from vacationing families that just have no exposure to these sorts of animals.

I kinda understand why the dog is along for the hike - what else are you going to do with the dog you brought? But perhaps that's not the best planning on the dog-owner's part.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

justiner wrote:We're talkin' city-slicker dogs brought with them from vacationing families that just have no exposure to these sorts of animals.
Gaper dogs.
TheIrishYeti
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheIrishYeti »

As a dog owner I honestly don't have too much of a problem with the rule. There's tons more areas to take the dog that are legal.

Also, pretty much every major NP has some form of dog daycare/boarding available just outside the park. Estes has a few and they're pretty cheap and easy to book. The parks that don't have easy access you definitely need to come prepared (had a bit of difficulty finding last minute cheap options in Yosemite and Yellowstone so we just moved on to another park/forest).
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

First, let me say I am both a dog owner and dog lover. I love being out on a hike or run with a dog.

That said, I have to say I have no problem at all with dogs being prohibited from NPs or even wilderness areas. My wife and I were in the Rawah wilderness this summer for a few nights, and we heard dogs barking every night, saw tons of dogs every day, and well.... Let's just say we saw zero wildlife. To me, it REALLY diminished the goal of being "out there." I felt like we might as well have been in one of those miserable campgrounds with an RV hookup, felt more like that than the fruits of a 10 mile hike in.

Maybe I'd have brought my own dog if she wasn't 10 with a couple bum ACLs, which would probably have made me feel differently. Maybe I'm just grumpy. But just saying... guess I can see both sides of it.
Last edited by druid2112 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I think it's rude, terribly disrespectful, and selfish for people to bring their dogs on hikes and places they know that they're not allowed. Mind you, I live with 11 dogs, 9 of which are Catahoula's and more than 50% are rescues.

It's not hard to follow the written rules.....no dogs, leash or not, on trails in almost all NP's.

Be respectful...........
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I'm surprised by this thread. I've spent easily 200+ days in RMNP and I do not remember ever seeing a dog where they aren't allowed. I know the rangers issue plenty of dog tickets, but it seems like mostly a minor issue.

Now, out of control dogs in City of Boulder Open Space... that's another matter.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

pbakwin wrote:
Now, out of control dogs in City of Boulder Open Space... that's another matter.
THIS
One of the main reasons I don't like to be in Chautauqua during the "standard high usage" hours. Super early or late evenings it is for me.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

pbakwin wrote:I'm surprised by this thread. I've spent easily 200+ days in RMNP and I do not remember ever seeing a dog where they aren't allowed. I know the rangers issue plenty of dog tickets, but it seems like mostly a minor issue.

Indeed, I started the thread to see if people had similar observations, and if it is particular areas and any sort of trend, precisely because I had previously never encountered it in most of the previous decade, until the last year or two.
Of the few times I or somebody else has said something, I am surprised that the people particularly don't care, as evidenced by continuing to hike, or even saying so directly. Talking to a ranger about Gem Lake, he said it was an ongoing problem, lack of staff, etc.

I don't pick trails to allow or avoid dogs, or think about it when I plan my day. But, when they aren't allowed, it is a buzzkill to see and hear them. It means I won't see a bear or elk or something similar anytime soon. Analogously, two of the open spaces in Fort Collins, e.g., that don't allow dogs (Bobcat Ridge and Coyote Ridge) are also the places where I feel like I see wildlife more reliably and predictably.

It's not my biggest personal concern by far, but I am perplexed by the trend -- if it is a trend -- that people would ignore the many options that allow dogs, and insist on bringing them where they are prohibited.

There are some great hiker-only trails where I would love to mountain bike! But I haven't thought of bringing my bike and a feeling of special exceptionalism, given the numerous other options.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Tony1 wrote:They say it's to protect the wildlife, so have leash laws enforced via fines or something, and I'll be happy with having access.
And how effective has that been?
pseudoghost wrote:I think if they eased the restrictions, eventually the wildlife would become accustomed to dogs, much as they have become accustomed to humans.
Countless suburban rabbits, squirrels and deer beg to differ. Just because an elk might be able to differentiate between a wolf and a bipedal furless primate, that it will learn to tell a wolf from a husky or malamute? How many owners can't even get their dogs to stop barking at the door bell or trying to chase bicyclists?

Why do you think a lot of farmers have dogs running free outdoors? To keep native animals away. By contrast, I like some fauna to go with my flora when I go into Wilderness and National Parks.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:
pbakwin wrote:
THIS
One of the main reasons I don't like to be in Chautauqua during the "standard high usage" hours. Super early or late evenings it is for me.
Good god. The dogs have been pretty off the charts this year for some reason. I've had more unfriendly dog encounter around Chautauqua in the last year than everywhere else for my whole life combined.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

I do wonder what coyotes, fox, wolves, and other wild canids think of humans in their territory or "national parks"?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

So how far back into RMNP are you seeing dogs?

This fall I saw one or two in the Hallowell Park area, and I was surprised as I had thought dogs were not allowed in the Park at all. But per the RMNP page previously linked:
"Pets are permitted in Rocky Mountain National Park, however they are not permitted on trails or in the backcountry. They are allowed only in areas accessed by vehicles, including roadsides, parking areas, picnic areas and campgrounds. They must be kept on a leash no longer than six feet and attended at all times. Pet etiquette dictates always cleaning up after your pet and disposing of waste in trash receptacles."

That does leave a little room for interpretation (or, for pushing the spirit of the rule perhaps?) - ie no definite distance after which they are not allowed. Not that any dog owner would whip out his tape measure. For the Hallowell Park instance, the owners and unleashed dog were, I don't know, several hundred yards from the car, in the meadow following an unofficial user trail.

In general I guess I don't begrudge them that distance but feel it was pushing the edge of the rule. I don't know how far they were planning to go.

In my mind there is room for areas (not speaking of the Park per se here) both where dogs should be allowed and where they shouldn't be, and I want dog owners to respect those rules. I don't have a dog but do like them and to some extent get jealous when I see someone with their dog having fun doing whatever, out on the trails. But I think they should know and obey the rules.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day