Dog joint health

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Dog joint health

Post by two lunches »

Hi, dog community! All you runners, hikers, backpackers, & peakbaggers who bring your four-legged friends on all of your adventures- does anyone supplement their pup's food with joint health supplements? Are there any vets who can chime in? Baby boy just turned 5, so now seems like a good time to be proactive in making sure he gets in many, many more peaks and paths. He's a 60# mutt, mostly Husky & Pit.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog joint health

Post by pfiore1 »

Absolutely. Preventative health is way better than waiting until there is an obvious joint problem. Bone and joint health are very important especially for active dogs and supplements definitely help add specific vitamins, minerals, oils, amino acids and other nutrients beyond what their daily diet often provides. Even the best quality food doesn't have the quantity of many nutrients. There are a lot of options when it comes to making a choice of what to use. I've used many different products and sometimes using one for a couple months then changing to another is valuable as well.

The obvious joint support is glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM. But fish oil, flaxseed oil and kelp also has benefits for joints as well as the minerals calcium, zinc, magnesium, manganese and some others. Glucosamine and chondroitin build up in the body and are depleted when not regularly supplemented. For about the first month taking the supplements it's important to double the regular dosage to build them up in the system, after that the dosages can be whatever the daily recommendation is for the weight. Glucosamine is typically 2,000mg for a 60 pound dog and chondroitin is a little less, about 1,600mg for a 60 pounder...but I give my 60 pound girls a little more since they're very active mountaineers and they can't absorb toxic levels unless the amounts are ridiculously high. The container which the supplement comes in will have the milligrams and recommended dosage per pound.

There are liquids and powders that can be added on top of the daily food. there are also treats (often have very little amounts) and flavored tablets which usually have higher doses. But with supplements quality is everything. Cheap stuff bought at the Wally store are usually poor quality, don't absorb well and are a waste of money. It's not necessary to buy the most expensive supplements, but good ones will cost more than generic junk. Personally, I like Nupro's Joint and Immunity support, it is a kelp/flaxseed mix powder. Also TerraMax Pro's Hip and Joint Supplement, it is a liquid. But there are lots and lots of options of other good quality supplements like Pet Naturals and petnc. PM me if you want a list of other options, I don't want to sound like a salesman.

Cheers to great pet health,
Pat
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

Here's my 2¢ - My lab started limping very badly at age 5. She would stand at the end of the hall and hold up one paw, then the other. I started her on Cosequin DS and saw positive results almost immediately. She's now almost 10 years old and plays frisbee, hikes and goes on long walks regularly. It's a relatively inexpensive supplement, and I for one will recommend it to anyone who asks.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Is this thread about giving dogs weed?

:mrgreen:
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

(Disclaimer: I work for Zuke's.)

We make two products, Hip Action treats and a supplement called Mobility, designed for joint health. My pup is only 3 and I give her a daily Hip Action. Feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with our staff nutritionist for more details, and/or send samples.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Justin9 wrote:Here's my 2¢ - My lab started limping very badly at age 5. She would stand at the end of the hall and hold up one paw, then the other. I started her on Cosequin DS and saw positive results almost immediately. She's now almost 10 years old and plays frisbee, hikes and goes on long walks regularly. It's a relatively inexpensive supplement, and I for one will recommend it to anyone who asks.
My dog is almost 10 years old and was showing signs of arthritis. I’ve been giving her Cosequin for two years, and it’s helped her mobility. Glad to hear someone else say it works for his dog as well.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Mtnman200 wrote:
Justin9 wrote:Here's my 2¢ - My lab started limping very badly at age 5. She would stand at the end of the hall and hold up one paw, then the other. I started her on Cosequin DS and saw positive results almost immediately. She's now almost 10 years old and plays frisbee, hikes and goes on long walks regularly. It's a relatively inexpensive supplement, and I for one will recommend it to anyone who asks.
My dog is almost 10 years old and was showing signs of arthritis. I’ve been giving her Cosequin for two years, and it’s helped her mobility. Glad to hear someone else say it works for his dog as well.
maybe i should be taking cosequin, too.

thanks everyone for the help-! i'll be scouring the depths of chewy.com for some of your recommendations!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

The most important and EASIEST thing to do is cut your dog's weight down. Dogs that are a little thin and a little hungry are more active and vital and carry less load on their joints.

They typically live longer and with fewer health issues. Once you start using meds to manage joint problems things start to go awry.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

I'm just going to chime in with a dogs joint health starts when they are puppies.
check out this link
https://www.dogworksfitness.com/single- ... and-elbows

My pups are 1,9,14. the 14yr just retired last yr after needing both her knees redone. my 1yr does not carry a pack and has not hiked over 6 miles or 2k feet in gain. my 9yr is my rock star but we built up to that over the years, he just did pikes with me and that was 16.5 miles and he was tired for 2 days after that. they all get all the supplements all ready listed by others here, and they work.

I can not tell you how many puppies i see hiking up 14ers and how i try to educate the people but it never seems to sink in. If you want a dog that will go the miles for you please give them time to grow up first so you do not have crippled dogs that are only 5 and 6.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
mtngrown
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngrown »

I'm a vet tech in a specialty hospital. My surgeons recommend Dausaquin. (Spelling?). I use Joint Strong powder. You can get it on amazon. Does great for my active herding/obedience/agility/show dogs and especially my older senior dogs! The best things for your dog's joints is to keep them at a good weight. Overweight dogs have complications and tend to live about 3 years less than over weight dogs. I assume most dogs on this forum don't fall into that category.
-Bethanie O'Brien
Harmit
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harmit »

I am a veterinarian of 30 years...There is little to no evidence-based data for efficacy of these nutraceuticals in either the human or veterinay literature, just lots of anecdote (and marketing). A typical conclusion in a review article---"Glucosamine and chondroitin are commonly recommended by veterinarians as an alternative for treating osteoarthritis in canines unable to tolerate the adverse effects of NSAIDs, or as add-on therapy. Although glucosamine and chondroitin have benign adverse effect profiles, the clinical benefit of using these agents remains questionable. The available evidence is difficult to interpret due to the use of different manufacturers, salt forms, compositions, sources, strengths, regimens, therapy durations, and combinations of active ingredients. Further study is required in order to clarify the uncertainty around the clinical benefit of using these agents and quantify any treatment effect that exists." My take over time is to use these products with financial caution, have low expectations that they actually help, and keep your dog lean (but not mean)!