Pit bull on Mt Massive

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pit bull on Mt Massive

Post by metalmountain »

transistor wrote: Pit bulls have a well-deserved reputation
Not really. Owned in the past and still own a pitbull, grew up in a household where my mom showed dogs and we always had like half a dozen around at any point in time. Never been bit by a pitbull, never had one even try to bite me (been bit by about a dozen other breeds though). My current pit was a rescue who spent basically his whole life in a cage in a shelter, was on death row, then bounced around fosters until we got him and he still is the sweetest dog you could ask for. You could slap him in the face and it would probably just think you were just trying to pet him. I've never even heard him growl. They are not violent unless you make them violent by decision or neglect. The don't just "snap" and they are capable of being the best dog you could ever ask for.

Chihuahuas bight people all the damn time but their ability to cause damage just isn't there, so you never hear about it. Its not the breeds fault that dumbasses with monster energy stickers on their lifted pick up truck (no offense for the nice folks that have monster energy stickers and drive lifted trucks) get them and then don't fix them, socialize them, and do all the other things you are supposed to do with any breed of dog, especially a bigger one. Then they take them out in public and expect them not to have issues. Pitbulls seem to draw a lot of owners that want the looks of a tough dog but don't understand what it means to actually own a dog.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

AlexeyD said:
This will be my one and only contribution to this thread
Srdjan Todorovic from Kusturica's movie on 14ers.com, really? This is such a cosmopolitan website! Rock on, sir!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

cedica wrote:
AlexeyD said:
This will be my one and only contribution to this thread
Srdjan Todorovic from Kusturica's movie on 14ers.com, really? This is such a cosmopolitan website! Rock on, sir!
Haha, you got it. Glad someone got the reference :) One of my favorite movies of all time.
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

metalmountain wrote:
transistor wrote: Pit bulls have a well-deserved reputation
Not really.
There was the case in Virginia last December where the two pit bulls killed and ate their owner...those sort of occurrences tend to build that bad reputation.
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...