Pit bull on Mt Massive

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Madison08
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 84 7
Trip Reports (0)

Pit bull on Mt Massive

Post by Madison08 »

Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has any information about the owners of a black pit bull that attacked me near the saddle of Mt Massive going down the standard route on on Saturday. I was walking past them and the dog jumped at me and bit into my upper thigh, going through my pants and puncturing my leg. The owners were two males. One of the owners was a very heavy set man. They had no leash, so one of them laid on the dog as he was growling after the attack. Unfortunately, they did not give me their contact information. If anyone has any information about them, even the vehicle type, color, etc. please PM me. I want to know if this dog is up to date on his vaccinations, etc. so I can move on.
Oldskool70
14ers: 28  1  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Pit bull on Mt Massive

Post by Oldskool70 »

Wow. Sorry to hear this. As usual, this just reminds me that the biggest hazards, in my eyes, while peak bagging is the drive to and from the TH... and people (and their pets).
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

That’s a pretty big fear of mine. I’ve been attacked by dogs twice. One attack resulted in plates, screws, and replacement ligaments from a cadaver in my back. I’m not scared of dogs. Love them and have two of my own but an off leash dog can scare the crap out of me sometimes.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

I hike with my dog and I keep him leashed. He is completely indifferent to people and most dogs. Since he is on leash, I will keep him close if there is another dog, Unfortunately, I have many cases where loose dogs come up to us and not listening. The other week on Massive as well, I ran into a group with an off leash dog. The people weren't paying attention and there dog proceeded to hump my dog. I don't want to interfere because I don't know this strange dog and don't want to get bit. The owner got his dog away from mine after he eventually reached us. After I passed, the dog runs after us again. The stupid part is the one guy had a leash in his hand but never attempted to leash him. He yelled and the dog listened eventually but not after yelling numerous times. We also have been both bit by dogs running loose on our daily walks. Unless you're dog is perfectly trained and you're not kidding yourself, use a leash, you're dog may be friendly but the dog he runs up to on a leash may not like being rushed (or having its owner rushed)
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Oldskool70 wrote:As usual, this just reminds me that the biggest hazards, in my eyes, while peak bagging is the drive to and from the TH
Oh, I don't know, but do you think it's possible that the people who died on Capitol last year underestimated the peak because they heard that driving to the peak was more dangerous than climbing the peak itself?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard of more people dying on Capitol than driving to its trailhead.

'Nuff said.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard of more people dying on Capitol than driving to its trailhead.
I mean, statistically i am sure it is more dangerous to simply be driving on the highway than to be hiking. I don't think its meant to downplay the dangers of hiking, but if you are an experienced hiker, it is definitly more dangerous to simply be on the highway than to be bagging most 14ers.
Oldskool70
14ers: 28  1  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Oldskool70 »

DArcyS wrote:
Oldskool70 wrote:As usual, this just reminds me that the biggest hazards, in my eyes, while peak bagging is the drive to and from the TH
Oh, I don't know, but do you think it's possible that the people who died on Capitol last year underestimated the peak because they heard that driving to the peak was more dangerous than climbing the peak itself?

'Nuff said.
So let me state the generic aspects of peak bagging. An estimated quarter of a million people climb 14ers every year. Not a lot of those folks climb Capitol. Lots can go wrong on all of them. Including to and from. Leave it to the good ol' webernet folks to miss the point and take this out of context though. But I'll go down this rabbit hole just for DarcyS. Hazards versus death. Most people don't die from dog bites but more people are bit by dogs than die on Capital. Apples vs Oranges. Most folks know the 'up front' hazards ( rock fall, lightning, etc). People, pets & driving are usually not on the radar. They are on mine though. I've come around the bend more than once at 4:00am to see elk, deer or a big rock in the middle of the road. It's probably due to the fact that I want to get up and down early to avoid one of the 'up front' hazards called lightning. And yes, I've been bit by dogs (more than once).
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Madison08 wrote:Hi All,
I want to know if this dog is up to date on his vaccinations, etc. so I can move on.
Sorry I can't help you with info.

But bear spray, or possibly a trekking pole up side the dog's head will likely deter it next time.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

All I have to say on the issue is that I'm so sorry this happened, and that only certain people should be allowed to be dog owners (or be allowed to breed....other humans).
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

highpilgrim wrote:
Madison08 wrote:Hi All,
I want to know if this dog is up to date on his vaccinations, etc. so I can move on.
Sorry I can't help you with info.

But bear spray, or possibly a trekking pole up side the dog's head will likely deter it next time.
Maybe also replace, or add to, "dogs head" with "owners head". Double whammy.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Oldskool70 wrote:
DArcyS wrote:

'Nuff said.
So let me state the generic aspects of peak bagging. An estimated quarter of a million people climb 14ers every year. Not a lot of those folks climb Capitol. Lots can go wrong on all of them. Including to and from. Leave it to the good ol' webernet folks to miss the point and take this out of context though. But I'll go down this rabbit hole just for DarcyS. Hazards versus death. Most people don't die from dog bites but more people are bit by dogs than die on Capital. Apples vs Oranges. Most folks know the 'up front' hazards ( rock fall, lightning, etc). People, pets & driving are usually not on the radar. They are on mine though. I've come around the bend more than once at 4:00am to see elk, deer or a big rock in the middle of the road. It's probably due to the fact that I want to get up and down early to avoid one of the 'up front' hazards called lightning. And yes, I've been bit by dogs (more than once).
I suppose the extra-verbage in my post set the wrong tone, my apologies.
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

DArcyS wrote: I suppose the extra-verbage in my post set the wrong tone, my apologies.
No, I think it was pretty much the meat and potatoes of your post that set the wrong tone.