Quandary with Lab

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary with Lab

Post by OldDude »

Experienced hiker with my faithful companion but I've avoided Quandary for fear of upsetting the goats by my labs presence. We've hiked last year Lost Man trail near Indy Pass with goats in the distance but no bother. It seems they can be much closer to the trail on Quandary. Advice? And yes, I leash my dog . . . unlike so many others on 14er trails.

Just read this morning about the killing of 2 goats on Quandary. Not good.
rquayle
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Quandary with Lab

Post by rquayle »

I suggest that you do a search for "Horton the Quandary Hound." Horton was a yellow lab who lived near the trailhead. He climbed Quandary several times a day...picking an individual or group at random to hike with. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago. He climbed Quandary hundreds of times! Horton is now hiking the mountains in dog heaven.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

Great read. My grandmother was a Horton. Hmmm, wonder if they're playing together?

Here's link to article on the killing of the goats on Quandary.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/two-mou ... -for-info/
Toobaboy
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Toobaboy »

OldDude wrote:Here's link to article on the killing of the goats on Quandary.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/two-mou ... -for-info/
Sickening
Legal hunting is one thing, but the goats on Quandary are practically pets (although still wild animals that must be treated with respect)
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

The Quandary goats are hardly phased by anything and are really accustomed to people and dogs. If you leash yours you'll already be way ahead of many others that have taken their pets on the mountain. When we've hiked it with our golden, we've encountered goats both times and the goats just casually acknowledged our dog and went about their business.
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
MtnLover
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MtnLover »

I did Quandary with my little shihtzu and the goats weren't bothered by her at all.