What 14ers next with Lab

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

What 14ers next with Lab

Post by OldDude »

Planning for next July which 14ers my dog and I might do. We did Elbert, Quandary, G&T, and Bierstadt over 8 days in July. Of these 5 I found the final boulder berm of Bierstadt to be the most challenging for the dog and in looking at trail routes I see the same, e.g. Massive, Sherman. Maybe will tackle the DeCaLiBron, reverse route, but would appreciate suggestions on others in Sawatch, Mosquito.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What 14ers next with Lab

Post by SkaredShtles »

Great. Now I'm thirsty for a gin & tonic.

:evil:
tsand
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tsand »

Huron and Belford-Oxford are almost all dirt trail, so pretty dog-friendly. And yeah, the Mosquitoes are easier and good.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Sherman is good. Took a 20 pound dog up there with no issues. Saw lots of other dogs too.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I think all the clsss 1 and 2s are within the realm of doable for most dogs. There may be some small difficulties -like you found on Bierstadt- but nothing insurmountable.

IMO Challenger and Kit Carson could be done by a dog but I would hesitate to bring one up Blanca or the other difficult class 2s.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

Thanks for the tips. Found this link that is good for further research and may be helpful to others as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/colorados ... ourteeners

If only my lab weighed 20 lbs then I could just pick him up for the challenging stretches but mine hits the scales at 90 lbs. He gets no lift from me. On Bierstadt I put him off leash on that last section. He knew which line to take which was different from mine and may have saved him from injury. Plus, we both had to deal with the hordes scrambling at the top. Saturday in July not good for a peaceful hike.

Yes, SkrdShtls time for some gin.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

OldDude wrote:Thanks for the tips. Found this link that is good for further research and may be helpful to others as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/colorados ... ourteeners

If only my lab weighed 20 lbs then I could just pick him up for the challenging stretches but mine hits the scales at 90 lbs. He gets no lift from me. On Bierstadt I put him off leash on that last section. He knew which line to take which was different from mine and may have saved him from injury. Plus, we both had to deal with the hordes scrambling at the top. Saturday in July not good for a peaceful hike.

Yes, SkrdShtls time for some gin.
No lifting on Sherman. I would recommend the Iowa Gulch side. You'll likely have the trail to yourself until the ridge.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
mattdhicks20
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mattdhicks20 »

Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or must knows before going out with a dog on the trail. Obviously have to pack in pack out and bring a lot of water for the pup. But if there are any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! Also, I had a few questions for Christmas. The first is a backpack so he can carry his own water/food! Any suggestions?
And for the second, I'm nervous to take him on some trails because they are so rocky and I don't want him to tear up the pads on his paws. Not exactly sure because I don't think the booties or whatever they have are really an option. Does anybody have experience in this area and may have some suggestions?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

mattdhicks20 wrote:Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or must knows before going out with a dog on the trail. Obviously have to pack in pack out and bring a lot of water for the pup. But if there are any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! Also, I had a few questions for Christmas. The first is a backpack so he can carry his own water/food! Any suggestions?
And for the second, I'm nervous to take him on some trails because they are so rocky and I don't want him to tear up the pads on his paws. Not exactly sure because I don't think the booties or whatever they have are really an option. Does anybody have experience in this area and may have some suggestions?
Tons of info in the sub-forum where you posted...

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Boomer68
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Boomer68 »

Took my yellow lab up Mt Princeton. It was pretty hard on her pads. They were bruised and scraped up pretty bad. Wouldn’t take her again without having some booties for her.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

OldDude wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:01 pm If only my lab weighed 20 lbs then I could just pick him up for the challenging stretches but mine hits the scales at 90 lbs. He gets no lift from me.
leave your dog at home if you aren't strong enough to self-rescue him in an emergency.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Labs are rugged, working dogs bred for the outdoors. Unless you want to protect paws from chemicals, extreme cold or extreme heat, then booties might not only be unnecessary but also counterproductive. The bigger problem is that while dogs know their limits, because of the leash and pack mentality, they can seldom make their own decisions such as when to stop for a break, when to sip some water, when to eat or when to cool down. So if your dog is new to hiking, give him plenty of opportunities to do those things until you can read his cues.

When scrambling, I gently direct my dog with my hands, but ultimately he needs to learn how to choose his steps, so it's his decision. I obviously hold onto the leash but with enough slack to not restrict or pull him. Don't push or pull him, don't pick him up. If he won't budge, then either turn around or find an alternate line up. Remember, the immense trust your dog puts on you is damaged every time you lead him to a decision that causes him pain.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion