Hiking dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
voredo
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking dog

Post by voredo »

Looking for a good bread for a hiking companion. #1 priority is a bred that will stay with you and not run off. Any suggestions?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Hiking dog

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Breed is not as important as training. Almost any dog can be a hiking dog.
FB_IMG_1561125859849.jpg
FB_IMG_1561125859849.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 5614 times
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

i'm a sourdough guy - such flavor with a great chew to it
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

voredo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:45 am Looking for a good bread for a hiking companion. #1 priority is a bred that will stay with you and not run off. Any suggestions?
Dogs aren't cars or handbags, getting a specific breed and expecting specific behavior has a higher likelihood of disappointment.

As stated above, get a dog with a pleasant personality and put in the time training it to be a good dog.

On the other hand, I will also +1 the sourdough recommendation, especially if it's home made.
Make wilderness less accessible.
drewharrellrtr
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by drewharrellrtr »

I think golden retrievers are the best, just my opinion
ScreeScrambler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScreeScrambler »

For a hiking companion though, you want a bread with staying power. I recommend pumpernickel or rye.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Some of these breads of dog may work:

RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

my-dogs-not-in-bread-hes-pure-bred-19490646.png
my-dogs-not-in-bread-hes-pure-bred-19490646.png (111 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

^ thank you for taking this where you did.
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Agree that AKC and specific breed are not the best way to judge. Training, social skills and personality are more important...as is the amount of time and dedication you are willing to pitch in. Many pound pups (state of CO official dog) work out just fine as do smaller dogs. Dogs are a commitment that should not be taken lightly. Their lives are much shorter than our own and parting with them is heartbreaking, and, sometimes, I wonder who is training who. They will teach you loyalty and unconditional love and make you a better human being. Look for connection, not breed. It is just like finding a friend or a partner.

That said, there are definitely some more easily trainable breeds than others, and some that just tend to have "native" skills and intuition required for backcountry. I have a blue heeler and have found heelers, most herders and cattle dogs to be some of the best on and off trail dogs I've ever partnered with for some crazy grueling stuff. As we were wandering through the Wind Rivers last summer, saw a few Border Collies and Australian Shepherds and other cattle dogs. They tend to be medium size (40-50#), and capable of carrying their gear on long range expeditions. Rugged and lots of energy. These are historically working dog breeds. After my heart scarred over from my last lost friend (a red heeler/shepherd mix) a few years back and I went looking for a new partner, for what it is worth, here was my short list; Bernese Mountain Dog, Labs, Retrievers, German Short Hair, Cattle Dogs, Collies, and Australian Shepherds.

If you have not seen it, here is a great video of Ace Kvale's blue heeler...a good glimpse into how important these friends are us...
[VimeoVideo]https://vimeo.com/163509935[/VimeoVideo]
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Training plays the biggest role, as others have mentioned. Even with breeds known for certain behaviors, each individual dog's personality can vary wildly. That said, herding dogs are a good place to start. (As long as you have the dedication to put into training and regular exercise.) They're the smartest dogs on the planet and usually prefer to keep their people in sight. Herding is what they were bred for, after all. Breeds like huskies, while incredibly popular as trail dogs, tend to be on the aloof and individualistic side. Again, these are sweeping generalizations -- I've known huskies that wouldn't leave their owner's heel and Aussies that never learned a sit-stay.

A bonus for the herding-dog route: a huge percentage of rescues, especially from reservations, are some mix of cattle dog/shepherd/collie. You can save a life, keep an extra $1,000 in your pocket, and get a wonderful hiking companion through any number of Front Range nonprofits. My favorites are RezDawg Rescue and Colorado Puppy Rescue.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Leigh
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leigh »

SurfNTurf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 am Training plays the biggest role, as others have mentioned. Even with breeds known for certain behaviors, each individual dog's personality can vary wildly. That said, herding dogs are a good place to start. (As long as you have the dedication to put into training and regular exercise.) They're the smartest dogs on the planet and usually prefer to keep their people in sight.
My Airedale Terrier is similar - they are super smart dogs and she does not let me out of her sight when I've had her offleash in the backcountry.

It's worth considering how much dog you could carry out if needed in an emergency - I'm afraid 65 pounds is too much for me, and that's possibly why you see so many trail dogs in the 45-50 pound range.