Best class 3 summits to train dog on?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Best class 3 summits to train dog on?

Post by polar »

There's no need to train your dog. If he likes class 3 he will be hopping all over the boulders and scrambly stuff. If he doesn't then he won't. Personally though, I don't take my dog on anything class 3 or above. I enjoy class 3 / class 4 and I'm willing to take a little risk for it, but the last thing I want is to lead my dog on something difficult for her and watch her hurt herself. My dog just likes to follow me and enjoys being outside, she could care less if she's hiking a 14er or hiking the hill 5 mins away from my house.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
clairekm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 66 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by clairekm »

With my dog I’ve found going down Class 3 is way more challenging for him than going up. I’d recommend for you to find a peak with some optional class 3 to practice descending where you can go down a different route if you find he is uncomfortable on the class 3 descent.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

I am picturing my dog on the Wetterhorn final pitch, and thinking this might not have been such a good idea. Not really hard, just steep. Unless your dog has the skills of a mountain goat, I would not expose him/her to that. Other class 3's I have done, Kelso ridge, and Quandary west, I would leave the dog home for those too. JMO
I gotta get me an Avatar.