Dog looking for a loving home

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Dog looking for a loving home

Post by big_red_pride »

Good afternoon fellow hikers!

I have a dog that is in need of a good home. Her name is Piper, she is a mutt. Piper is a medium to large size breed and weighs about 45 lbs. She has red fur and light blue eyes. Piper is about 2 years old and loves being outdoors. She would make a great hiking companion for anyone who loves hiking 14ers or even just local trails.

Piper has a lot of energy. So I would recommend her to a family that has older children. She used to be with my family, but she was rehomed because my 2 year old was afraid of her. She has been trained and knows all the basic commands.

I forgot to mention, Piper is in Colorado Springs.

The current family Piper is with is moving and cannot take her, so they have reached out to me to see if I knew of anyone who would be interested in taking her in.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, so I apologize Bill if I am.

Please PM me if you are interested and I can set up a time for you to meet this sweet girl.

Thank you,
Stephen
Last edited by big_red_pride on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
garrettanton
14ers: 34  2  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog looking for a loving home

Post by garrettanton »

Pm'd
MtnResident
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnResident »

How is she with other dogs?
KTMSteve
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KTMSteve »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm I will never understand how someone can adopt/buy a dog, and then give it up. The worst type of people imo, regardless hope she finds a new home!
Dude as usual you have come up a bit short sighted. Sometimes peoples life situations change and it's not because they want to get rid of the dog but because it's best for the dog as well...IMHO.

Op good luck finding her a home... probably a good group of people to start with here.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm I will never understand how someone can adopt/buy a dog, and then give it up. The worst type of people imo, regardless hope she finds a new home!
I guess you don't think that people ever move to an urban area and can't bring their large dog into a small apartment with no open space around? Or move internationally? Go into employer/gov-provided housing that doesn't allow pets? Or have a kid who develops allergies or the animal isn't appropriate for small children? Or the previous stay-at-home partner now has to get a job and they don't want to crate the dog for 9+ hours a day?
Good lord. I hope you get some actual life experience one of these days and stop judging people based on your exceedingly myopic point of view.
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 am I’m posting my opinion on a public forum, sorry if that upsets you. I don’t need to explain my life experiences with random strangers.
And your mouth runs more than a clappy d%ck, just my opinion on a public forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'll never understand how someone can repeatedly put themselves and their dog in dangerous situations in the mountains due almost entirely to extreme overconfidence and a lack of experience, but that's just me.

Hope you find a good home, OP. Sounds like a sweet pup.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

You know...I read stories like this one: http://www.themountainmail.com/free_con ... f3b8b.html

and I'll never understand how someone can get off route on Mount Belford. Especially while using GPS... and then require rescue...with a dog in December. The poor dog was forced to put up with a long, cold night due to the owner's stupidity and lack of experience. People like that are absolutely the worst people imo.

But that's just my opinion on a public forum. :-"

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

We foster dogs for two rescue groups (https://bigdogshugepaws.com/ and https://www.pawsonthegroundcolorado.com/). Dogs are relinquished regularly, and the groups do not judge as to why. They are just grateful that the owners choose to have their dogs rescued rather than dropped off at a shelter. Dogs are resilient and typically adjust to their new homes well. I hope Piper finds a great forever home.
Century Bound, eventually.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Don't worry. In a week or two we'll get a post from CaptCO about how he was forced to abandon his dog, as it was slowing him down on his epic climb of Mt Bierstadt (3.5 hrs, FKT??!!), but it's no big deal since somebody else found it and it was probably only out there overnight.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 325 2 71
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Humility is wasted on the old.
CaptCo chill!

I rescued a dog, loved her, trained her and named her Champ. I started a new job working graveyard 12 hour shifts. Sometimes I could bring her to work. A coworkers 8 year daughter would stop by occasionally just to see Champ at changing of the guard. Many months went by and Champ needed a better home. I gave her to the 8 year old. My heart hurt. I still love Champ but one day the girl brought me a picture she drew in crayons to show me she and Champ were the stars at show and tell in school.

Champ has a big backyard and a loving little 8 year old that takes care of her better than I ever could.

CaptCo all dogs go to heaven. Please find humility.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 am Really feeling the love on this thread! Grown adults, like RyeGuy should be leaders and not followers.
Alec...You chose to come throw shade at the OP for no apparent reason. Humility is something that comes with experience and I hope you learn and develop both.

I also hope you choose to be a bit more mature about how you choose to respond to threads on a public forum. Sending me private message like this really isn't showing any maturity and I am not sure what the purpose of it was.

"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach