Dog Rant

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Dog Rant

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Can you claim a dog as a dependent?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

WickedWhites wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 am
Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 pm I dont disagree with the content. Maya has some thoughts about the bad dog owner.

FB_IMG_1592884379965.jpg
Probably because the owner wraps so much s**t around her neck...
I mean could be worse....
FB_IMG_1630290805196.jpg
FB_IMG_1630290805196.jpg (151.62 KiB) Viewed 7688 times
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:05 pm Can you claim a dog as a dependent?
Of course. However, you may have trouble explaining yourself successfully at the audit.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I don't mind a dog on a peak, as long as it's a friendly dog and is fit enough for it. On a peak with a good trail it can be a nice outing for the owners and dog.

When I see a larger dog acting aggressively especially if the owner is sort of tuned out or it's unleashed or on precarious footing, or if it's running around barking and chasing any wildlife it sees, then I start to have an issue with that. If the dog is not capable of the climb that's a problem too, for multiple reasons. A few weeks back while climbing Whiteface, I saw on the way down a group with a black lab which was obviously struggling, slipping and hesitating on the more vertical/climbing sections and the owner just kept pushing the dog further despite the whimpering and endless panting. If the dog (or person) fell and broke a leg there or worse, rescue would have been difficult and drawn out. At one point where there was a 4ft gap to get over between two large rock sections, I saw them sort of toss the dog to another person on the other side... I was cringing hoping nobody would fall as it was 70 degree slab with that gap then another 6 feet gap to another slab.

We like to anthropomorphize our dogs and say to ourselves, "Fido loves climbing with me" and I am sure there are dogs that love doing that. A dog will usually follow the owner without much questioning or reasoning, wanting to accommodate their "alpha" leader and be a good pack member despite precarious terrain. People need to balance the need for the perfect Instagram shot with its cost and the well-being of the dog... do you really need a shot of "My dog on summit of Capitol" ?
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am
We like to anthropomorphize our dogs and say to ourselves, "Fido loves climbing with me" and I am sure there are dogs that love doing that
Recall Horton the Quandary Dog, whom we had the pleasure of climbing Quandary with in November 2007. We only discovered his significance after getting down and speaking to some locals. This dog was amazing, and he must have hiked to the top of that mountain at least a few times a day happily following people up and down, on the rock or in snow and was very friendly. Quandary was our second 14er and Horton, there wagging his tail ahead of us walking up the mountain like he was on main street, motivated us to get to the summit despite how burned out our sea level lungs were.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:55 am
nyker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am
We like to anthropomorphize our dogs and say to ourselves, "Fido loves climbing with me" and I am sure there are dogs that love doing that
Recall Horton the Quandary Dog, whom we had the pleasure of climbing Quandary with in November 2007. We only discovered his significance after getting down and speaking to some locals. This dog was amazing, and he must have hiked to the top of that mountain at least a few times a day happily following people up and down, on the rock or in snow and was very friendly. Quandary was our second 14er and Horton, there wagging his tail ahead of us walking up the mountain like he was on main street, motivated us to get to the summit despite how burned out our sea level lungs were.
I have a picture of my dog Bodie (he got old and is no longer with me) with Horton on Quandary on a cold but sunny winter day. I will try to find it and post it.

Happy dogs....
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

yes, please post, that would be a cool shot
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am We like to anthropomorphize our dogs and say to ourselves, "Fido loves climbing with me" and I am sure there are dogs that love doing that. A dog will usually follow the owner without much questioning or reasoning, wanting to accommodate their "alpha" leader and be a good pack member despite precarious terrain. People need to balance the need for the perfect Instagram shot with its cost and the well-being of the dog... do you really need a shot of "My dog on summit of Capitol" ?
my roommate commented to me some years ago that archer is a completely different dog on the mountain than he is at home. i can barely get him to run a mile around the neighborhood but my god does that dog love to hike.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

stephakett wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am
nyker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am We like to anthropomorphize our dogs and say to ourselves, "Fido loves climbing with me" and I am sure there are dogs that love doing that. A dog will usually follow the owner without much questioning or reasoning, wanting to accommodate their "alpha" leader and be a good pack member despite precarious terrain. People need to balance the need for the perfect Instagram shot with its cost and the well-being of the dog... do you really need a shot of "My dog on summit of Capitol" ?
my roommate commented to me some years ago that archer is a completely different dog on the mountain than he is at home. i can barely get him to run a mile around the neighborhood but my god does that dog love to hike.
I hope you named your dog after the worlds greatest secret agent!
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Trotter wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:27 am I hope you named your dog after the worlds greatest secret agent!
it's true..
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Cruiser wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:55 am Gotten nipped a couple different times while trail running and started carrying pepper spray but recently switched to a small air horn. One short blast makes everyone stop in their tracks for a moment. Light, cheap, non lethal, and quick to deploy.
A loud whistle also works really well for this. On dogs AND a lot of wildlife... clips nicely to a pack strap too.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point