Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by nunns »

rijaca wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Ptglhs wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:24 pm
ker0uac wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:07 pm Can anybody recommend a shooting range in Denver Metro?
Too soon for a Columbine joke?
Don't go there!
Yeah, I don't think it will ever be time for a Columbine joke.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

nunns wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:47 am
rijaca wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Ptglhs wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Too soon for a Columbine joke?
Don't go there!
Yeah, I don't think it will ever be time for a Columbine joke.

Sean Nunn
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:

Code: Select all

t = ([365 * 10(ln x)] / [(1 - d/C) * a] * 10q)
d = distance of the jokemaker/audience from the location of the tragedy, in miles
C = circumference of the earth
a = average victim age
q = outrageousness quotient, ranging from .1 to 1.0 (for example, a simple murder committed by an insane person might have a q = 0.1, whereas a mass murder involving torture or burning alive of people motivated by racist or political ideology might rate around q = 0.8, and violence towards animals rates somewhere above 0.9 )
and H = # of nazi holocausts involved

by my calculations, Columbine became suitable for jokes around September 2003. 9/11 will be ok to joke about approximately 108 years from now, and Holocaust jokes will be funny sometime after the end of time.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:
Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:
i can't decide if this comment proves or disproves my theorem.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:24 pm Too soon for a Columbine joke?
Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm
You’re an insufferable jerk, aren’t you? I sincerely hope we’ve never shared nor will share time on the same mountain.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Code: Select all

t = ([365 * 10(ln x)] / [(1 - d/C) * a] * 10q)
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 pm For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
Garbage in, garbage out. Parse through the forums and read how people have told me to kill myself, that I deserve to be alone, that I'm crazy, that no one will ever love me, that I deserve to be homeless, etc, and you're surprised I have a negative opinion of others?

You created an entire poll and thread to see how many people agreed with you that I was in the wrong and a bad person for telling someone else to follow a store's policies to their own advantage. I made a couple of jokes to lighten the mood. But sure, I'm the one who lacks decency.

The people who have reached out to me in PMs I've had a dialogue with them, and genrally we either come to an understanding or actually go on a hike together. But that takes effort and tolerating discomfort for growth. Mocking, insults, and treating someone from the internet as a virtual leper is lazy and fun, if you're a bad person.
sigepnader
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm
pvnisher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 pm For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
Garbage in, garbage out. Parse through the forums and read how people have told me to kill myself, that I deserve to be alone, that I'm crazy, that no one will ever love me, that I deserve to be homeless, etc, and you're surprised I have a negative opinion of others?

You created an entire poll and thread to see how many people agreed with you that I was in the wrong and a bad person for telling someone else to follow a store's policies to their own advantage. I made a couple of jokes to lighten the mood. But sure, I'm the one who lacks decency.

The people who have reached out to me in PMs I've had a dialogue with them, and genrally we either come to an understanding or actually go on a hike together. But that takes effort and tolerating discomfort for growth. Mocking, insults, and treating someone from the internet as a virtual leper is lazy and fun, if you're a bad person.

Jokes to lighten the mood? Are you serious, Clark?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Can’t we all just get along?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
sigepnader
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Off topic..on purpose.

I’m watching The Big Lebowski for the first time ever.

I’m way behind. This s**t is fantastic.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

sigepnader wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm Jokes to lighten the mood? Are you serious, Clark?
Yes. Name's not Clark.

The Final Solution quip is a line from a comedy song by Steven Lynch about how he thinks his girlfriend's a Nazi.

This thread started because someone shot a dog out of what I can only imagine is vigilantism at best and sadism at worst. Next to that, joking about a mass shooting is pretty low key. As long as you're nice to them and want to spend time with them you can build a relationship with a dog. People, not so much.