Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by sigepnader »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:44 pm
sigepnader wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm Jokes to lighten the mood? Are you serious, Clark?
Yes. Name's not Clark.

The Final Solution quip is a line from a comedy song by Steven Lynch about how he thinks his girlfriend's a Nazi.

This thread started because someone shot a dog out of what I can only imagine is vigilantism at best and sadism at worst. Next to that, joking about a mass shooting is pretty low key. As long as you're nice to them and want to spend time with them you can build a relationship with a dog. People, not so much.

1. It’s Stephen Lynch.

2. Are you serious, Clark is a line from National Lampoons Vacation that fit here.

3. I know what this tread is about. Either way your “jokes” are in very bad taste and paint you in a very bad light. I’ve got nothing against you but those aren’t cool, man. The Columbine jokes or crappy Lynch hack comedy songs. Comparing mass shootings to some jerk who killed an innocent animal is apples and oranges. Sure they are both fruit but it’s entirely different.

I do agree with you about dogs. A relationship with a dog is a wonderful thing. I say this as Moose is snoring beside me as I type this. At the end of a long day I look forward to his loud ass snoring.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm Garbage in, garbage out. Parse through the forums and read how people have told me to kill myself, that I deserve to be alone, that I'm crazy, that no one will ever love me, that I deserve to be homeless, etc, and you're surprised I have a negative opinion of others?

You created an entire poll and thread to see how many people agreed with you that I was in the wrong and a bad person for telling someone else to follow a store's policies to their own advantage. I made a couple of jokes to lighten the mood. But sure, I'm the one who lacks decency.

The people who have reached out to me in PMs I've had a dialogue with them, and genrally we either come to an understanding or actually go on a hike together. But that takes effort and tolerating discomfort for growth. Mocking, insults, and treating someone from the internet as a virtual leper is lazy and fun, if you're a bad person.
I think it's more "garbage out, garbage in". Those vitriolic lines aimed at you are normally immediately preceded by you making some statement espousing a reprehensible position.
You can chicken-or-egg this forever, but the point is that you can't control the environment, but you can control yourself. Do other members get the same comments thrown at them? Why not? Or is answering that going to take too much effort and be too uncomfortable for your growth?

If I had known the poll about advocating abusing REI's return policy would cause the kind of harm to you that it did, I wouldn't have done it. My apologies, and not sarcastically.

Equating a mass shooting to be less offensive than shooting a dog, making Holocaust jokes, calling for millions of people to die from COVID, are some of those things which you have to know will garner you comments.

Ptghls: makes outrageous comment
Forum: is outraged
Ptghls: *is shocked*
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Golly, just try and have respect for others. When you spend enough time hiking in Colorado you will encounter unruly and even dangerous dogs on the trail. Be prepared, it will happen. I carry a small canister of pepper spray, but I think I like the air horn idea even more....now that is a solution that seems appropriate? No one should ever be in fear of a dog when hiking, that is on the dog owners to have respect for others.

dbaker rule #1 for driving dirt roads in Colorado...Dont be a dick! Same should apply for dogs
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Another trick I had when cycling a lot was to just spray them in the face with water. Of course, it assumed you had water to spare and could get your water bottle out in time. when cycling you're going way faster too, so when the water sort of stuns the dog, you take off and the dog gives up hope. not sure if the water would just piss off the dog for what will be much more drawn out encounter? The bear/pepper spray you need to be careful of wind direction (which is the case for carrying a gun over bear spray in grizzly country). The air horn is just annoying.

on the trail, I give dogs the cassius clay treatment where I carry the confidence knowing I can beat the living crap out of it. I've done enough talking when I should have been listening and had the crap beat of me enough to know I may not "win" but the other party won't walk away unscathed either. I think dogs (and serial killers) can sense this confidence and leave you alone. Now my daughters, on the other hand, lack that confidence...
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Are all the moderators on vacation?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Lioness wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am Are all the moderators on vacation?
this forum is more "self moderated" than anything else. For instance, the OP has the ability to totally delete this thread or just lock it. It's never been made clear to me if Bill actually yanks threads or if the OP's do it. I'm sure it's a combination of both.

But, based on history, this child's play to past threads. It's taught me to ignore the riff raff and just take the "Good." A good life lesson.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Conor wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:03 am
this forum is more "self moderated" than anything else. For instance, the OP has the ability to totally delete this thread or just lock it. It's never been made clear to me if Bill actually yanks threads or if the OP's do it. I'm sure it's a combination of both.

But, based on history, this child's play to past threads. It's taught me to ignore the riff raff and just take the "Good." A good life lesson.
With some exceptions, I think even in a thread like this, most of the debate is honest debate about the issue. And even if that becomes a little heated, I don't believe that is a bad thing. It does become problematic when people end up personalizing against someone else instead of just debating the issue. I don't mind someone calling me out if I post my thoughts and they disagree; it helps me clarify my thinking and sometimes even changes my mind.

On this issue I can still see both sides depending on what the actual situation was, and since I wasn't there I can't answer that. I think the vast majority of the time, shooting a dog would be a bad thing, but if the shooter's life/physical safety was legitimately threatened, then I do believe that human lives take precendence over those of animals. The good news is that the dog appears to be recovering.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Hi, you must be new here.

Let me tell you the story of a man..a legend..known as Tallgrass.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

sigepnader wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 am
damn, i went a looking, did the Tallgrass-puts-a-new-anchor-on-sunlight thread get wiped?

what a pity if so
KS Jude
14ers: 34  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KS Jude »

LURE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:45 am
sigepnader wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 am
damn, i went a looking, did the Tallgrass-puts-a-new-anchor-on-sunlight thread get wiped?

what a pity if so
Just last week I was looking for that thread. Sadly I think it has been wiped. I did the best I could at regaling this tale to my climbing partners, but it's just not the same. Whelp, if we ever make it to the top of sunlight spire I am sure we will look forward to using that anchor.
"Verso l'alto" - Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Did the shooters side of the story ever get out?
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I actually think Ptghls is one of few ones who always respected opposing views, always had very well thought arguments and, from what I saw, never resorted to personal attacks in order to prove his point. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, and I get that it can rub ppl the wrong way, but he should be entitled to his own opinions. I think we should all be able to hear something controversial, process it, disagree with it, and move on. No need for safe rooms or trigger warnings. The world is full of controversy, but that's ok.

Yea he has a knack for dark humor, and so do a lot of comedians. Again, we should all be able to take a joke, process it and think "humm not for me, but I can live with it".

What is it about a keyboard that turns people into pricks? I bet if I met most of you in the person, including highpilgrim, we would get along just fine. It's hard to convey tone and context, so let's just give people the benefit of the doubt. It's really not that serious. This is an internet forum!! If you think it's that serious, then you need to get a life.

Also, I definitely abuse of REI return policy but I buy a lot from them. And when I was in college, I used to get soda refills from roadside McDs without paying. Uhhhh please dont shune me from this forum!!
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion