Man and his dog separately rescued on Mt Harvard

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Man and his dog separately rescued on Mt Harvard

Post by JChitwood »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:11 amI presume he's a CO resident, so why is he suffering from altitude sickness
Huh? Living in CO for 25 years has never made me immune from altitude sickness. I get some form of it every time I’m above 13,000’.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:11 amI presume he's a CO resident, so why is he suffering from altitude sickness
Huh? Living in CO for 25 years has never made me immune from altitude sickness. I get some form of it every time I’m above 13,000’.
+1
Some people get it more seriously then others.

In any case, the heroes are the others who worked to bring his dog back to safety. Reminds me of the sawtooth dog story
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm
Oh really? Sorry, point taken. I forget that even within CO, depending on where you live, going to the mountains can mean that you are doubling the altitude your body is used to.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Trotter wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 pm Reminds me of the sawtooth dog story
Right, didn't he go to jail? or at least was charged with animal cruelty?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm
He did not.

Anthony Ortolani was sentenced to one year of unsupervised probation and 30 hours of community service. It’s part of a plea agreement, avoiding the possible 18 months in jail and $5,000 fine he could have received for animal cruelty.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Hard to believe that was eight years ago btw. I remember that issue here blowing slap up.

As it should’ve.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:33 pm Why isn’t harvard considered easy class 3 for the crux move?
"If you take your time and look for the easiest way up the final pitch, the difficulty can be kept to Class 2"
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

hellmanm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 am
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:37 am the dog didn't "get lost"... the owner lost him through his incompetence. he obviously neither had the dog leashed nor had provided the training to recall the dog when he lost sight of him. lucky for the dog there wasn't a worse outcome. unlucky for the dog he has to go back to the same incompetent owner who will probably endanger the dog again someday.
highpilgrim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 am
sigepnader wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm a**hole comment: Leave your damn dogs at home.

Sincerely, a lover of dogs and a hater of incompetence.
Which applies to at least 2/3 of all dog owners who are incapable of (or impatient enough) that they don't train their dogs.

Don't worry, he's friendly!

C'mon guys. This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. It reeks of the same judgment that we condemn when someone tries to analyze a fatal accident. Rocks move, feet slip, snow slides... and people make mistakes! There are threads on this forum where amazing, accomplished hikers/climbers have outlined their dumb decisions. I'm just happy that hiker and dog are okay now.
this wasn't an accident. this was wholly preventable by either a) keeping the dog on a leash or b) training the dog to come when called... or, ideally, both. if you're going to make the decision to take the dog in the wilderness, then you're 100% responsible for making sure you do everything in your power to ensure the dog returns safely. that includes pre-hike preparation, like giving your dog proper training and keeping it on a leash if you can't ensure it will stay by your side or come when called.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

sigepnader wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:48 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm
He did not.

Anthony Ortolani was sentenced to one year of unsupervised probation and 30 hours of community service. It’s part of a plea agreement, avoiding the possible 18 months in jail and $5,000 fine he could have received for animal cruelty.
and he lost custody of the dog. as he should've.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin