Man and his dog separately rescued on Mt Harvard

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Man and his dog separately rescued on Mt Harvard

Post by peter303 »

https://kdvr.com/news/local/denver-man- ... t-harvard/

Man got altitude sickness. Dog got lost.

The "11th essential" might be a sausage for luring lost and scared dogs.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Man and his dog separately rescued on Mt Harvard

Post by sigepnader »

Nice comment: What a great, happy ending.

a**hole comment: Leave your damn dogs at home.

Sincerely, a lover of dogs and a hater of incompetence.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

How was he rushed from the Boulderfield to a hospital with a dislocated shoulder? The story just says "had to leave the dog behind while he was rushed to the hospital"...

As a 2019 side-country shoulder dislocation victim, I know that it's pretty freaking miserable trying to get around with that injury. The 4 hours I spent with it out of socket were very high on my all-time list of worst 4 hours of my life, and I've got some doozies...
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Happy ending post, great to hear good news...
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

sigepnader wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm a**hole comment: Leave your damn dogs at home.

Which applies to at least 2/3 of all dog owners who are incapable of (or impatient enough) that they don't train their dogs.

Don't worry, he's friendly!
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

Nice to hear everything worked out.
At 14,421 feet in elevation, Mount Harvard is considered one of Colorado’s tallest peaks.
I didn’t realize this was up for discussion though...
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

the dog didn't "get lost"... the owner lost him through his incompetence. he obviously neither had the dog leashed nor had provided the training to recall the dog when he lost sight of him. lucky for the dog there wasn't a worse outcome. unlucky for the dog he has to go back to the same incompetent owner who will probably endanger the dog again someday.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

PJ88 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:19 am Nice to hear everything worked out.
At 14,421 feet in elevation, Mount Harvard is considered one of Colorado’s tallest peaks.
I didn’t realize this was up for discussion though...
I got a kick out of that as well...
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:37 am the dog didn't "get lost"... the owner lost him through his incompetence. he obviously neither had the dog leashed nor had provided the training to recall the dog when he lost sight of him. lucky for the dog there wasn't a worse outcome. unlucky for the dog he has to go back to the same incompetent owner who will probably endanger the dog again someday.
highpilgrim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 am
sigepnader wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm a**hole comment: Leave your damn dogs at home.

Which applies to at least 2/3 of all dog owners who are incapable of (or impatient enough) that they don't train their dogs.

Don't worry, he's friendly!

C'mon guys. This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. It reeks of the same judgment that we condemn when someone tries to analyze a fatal accident. Rocks move, feet slip, snow slides... and people make mistakes! There are threads on this forum where amazing, accomplished hikers/climbers have outlined their dumb decisions. I'm just happy that hiker and dog are okay now.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

hellmanm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 amC'mon guys.
The guy left his dog, which wouldn't come to him, because he wasn't trained properly.

I'm glad he got the dog back, and that he's ok. But I'll stand by my opinion on his failing to be responsible for his dog. It doesn't take much work to train a dog to return on call. See Operant Conditioning and take note of the sausage the finder of the dog used to get it back. It's not complicated.

Anyone with a sense of responsibility and a little effort can do it.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Yea this story is sooo fishy. Did he drive to a hospital with a dislocated shoulder? Did he call an uber to the TH? I presume he's a CO resident, so why is he suffering from altitude sickness? But ok, why didn't he leash the dog the moment he started feeling sick and weak?
Last edited by ker0uac on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 am
hellmanm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 amC'mon guys.
The guy left his dog, which wouldn't come to him, because he wasn't trained properly.

I'm glad he got the dog back, and that he's ok. But I'll stand by my opinion on his failing to be responsible for his dog. It doesn't take much work to train a dog to return on call. See Operant Conditioning and take note of the sausage the finder of the dog used to get it back. It's not complicated.

Anyone with a sense of responsibility and a little effort can do it.

Pilgrim speaking nothing but truth.