Hunting Season

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Hunting Season

Post by osprey »

For those of you planning on climbing in the San Juans:
Be aware that it is hunting season. A bow hunter was fatally shot on Friday by a black powder rifle hunter near the Kilpacker trailhead. Consider wearing some orange clothing to lessen the chance of being shot by a hunter.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Hunting Season

Post by seano »

Yikes! I normally feel pretty safe during bow and muzzle-loader season, since it takes dedication and close range to hunt with either (bow range is less than 50 yards). Open season, where people can take shots from almost a half-mile away, is another matter. Not a bad idea to wear some orange this time of year, especially on those dawn starts.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I love to hike in autumn and wear more than some orange. My entire kit from the waist up is blaze orange including a stocking cap and baseball cap purchased from LL Bean’s hunting dept. And I never start in the dark which I despise pretty much any time of year. You need all the help you can get to survive the typical hunter who has been up all night drinking then goes straight to the field with guns loaded.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

JChitwood wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am You need all the help you can get to survive the typical hunter who has been up all night drinking then goes straight to the field with guns loaded.
whoa. easy, dude.

accidents happen and i sincerely hope the hunters involved in this incident are never able to pull tags again. but assuming everyone trying to feed their families for the next year is drunk and irresponsible is pretty overreaching.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^There are sh!tty hunters just like there are sh!tty drivers. I bow hunt for elk and deer and always use my red light headlamp in the morning when muzzle loader hunters might in the woods. I’ve never liked the overlap of these seasons because bow hunters are in camo.

As of today, muzzle loader is now closed and the only big hunters you will see for the two weeks are bow hunters.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Thanks for the reminders to wear brighter colors. Saw a hunter posted up on a ridge near New York Mtn on Saturday.

Not every hunter has been up all night drinking, for the record...
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We did Coxcomb and Redcliff on Saturday, the amount of hunters camping in the area was more than I have ever seen anywhere.

Here is the link with the news story.

https://www.thestate.com/news/nation-wo ... 87444.html
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

How awful for the victim, as well as the accused, and their families.

Years ago on return to a Lake City area TH after a hike, we ran into some out-of-state hunters who told us we should be wearing brighter colors because they thought we were elk and had "sighted in" on us.

Wearing orange isn't going to fix whatever causes someone to mistake a person for a deer/elk, at any range, or to take a shot without bothering to identify the target. CPW should deploy decoy game each season, then collect and trace the bullets they absorb. Shoot a fake animal, never hunt again. Maybe bench these kind before they ruin a bunch of lives.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I don't get the whole 'wear orange' thing. Aren't some elk almost orange colored? At least, they're a helluva lot closer to orange than the usual blues/gray coloring I have on.
jfm3
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm I don't get the whole 'wear orange' thing. Aren't some elk almost orange colored? At least, they're a helluva lot closer to orange than the usual blues/gray coloring I have on.
The idea with blaze or fluorescent orange is that no animal is colored that way naturally, so if you see bright, solid orange moving at a distance you know it's a person. That color also stands out, even at long distances and on a variety of backgrounds (forest, prairie, etc.).
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
eaagaard
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by eaagaard »

Anyone who doesn’t positively identify their target before pulling the trigger isn’t responsible enough to own a weapon. It makes me sick that this isn’t plain simple common sense. It’s certainly what my dad taught me.

All rights come with associated responsibility. Too many people forget that in today’s culture.

Ok, I am done.
Arndorfer
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Arndorfer »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:32 pm I’ve never liked the overlap of these seasons because bow hunters are in camo.
I think that for the 9 days the archery and muzzleloader season's overlap that archers should be required to at least wear a blaze orange hat to improve safety. I have been walking through the woods on several occasions and been startled by camoflaged archery hunters. Since deer and elk cannot see color, it would not impact the success rates of archers at all, and might improve them since muzzleloader hunters would see the archers from further away and avoid stumbling into the area they are hunting.
Todd
"If you are not on the edge, you are taking up too much space"