Hunting Season

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hunting Season

Post by two lunches »

eaagaard wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm Anyone who doesn’t positively identify their target before pulling the trigger isn’t responsible enough to own a weapon. It makes me sick that this isn’t plain simple common sense. It’s certainly what my dad taught me.

All rights come with associated responsibility. Too many people forget that in today’s culture.

Ok, I am done.
+1 for basic gun safety
+1 for hunter education

negligence is a crime and is what the suspect(s) are being prosecuted for, but please don't blame CPW or the general hunting population (who contributes a GREAT DEAL MORE to conservation efforts than any other outdoor use group) for this mistake. this behavior was reckless.

my sincerest condolences go out to the family of the deceased, but i'll spare little to no sympathy for the suspects.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

stephakett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am
JChitwood wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am You need all the help you can get to survive the typical hunter who has been up all night drinking then goes straight to the field with guns loaded.
whoa. easy, dude.

accidents happen and i sincerely hope the hunters involved in this incident are never able to pull tags again. but assuming everyone trying to feed their families for the next year is drunk and irresponsible is pretty overreaching.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm I don't get the whole 'wear orange' thing. Aren't some elk almost orange colored? At least, they're a helluva lot closer to orange than the usual blues/gray coloring I have on.
allegedly deer/elk see colors like red and orange differently than humans do. obviously if you cover yourself head to toe in solid, blaze orange, the animal will be able to identify your solid mass, but flashes of blaze or fluoro pink are difficult for them to identify.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

stephakett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:37 pm
12ersRule wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm I don't get the whole 'wear orange' thing. Aren't some elk almost orange colored? At least, they're a helluva lot closer to orange than the usual blues/gray coloring I have on.
allegedly deer/elk see colors like red and orange differently than humans do. obviously if you cover yourself head to toe in solid, blaze orange, the animal will be able to identify your solid mass, but flashes of blaze or fluoro pink are difficult for them to identify.
That's not quite how it works. Obviously, we can't see what a deer/elk see. The real reason for the bright colors (ORANGE) is virtually ALL HUMANS can see it easily. That's what really matters. The animal has no idea what you are... except not something they want to chat with. They have a keen awareness of movement with both eyes and ears - waaaay better than we do - and they'll use that to spot unsavory movements. Very important tip-off for hunters. Both also have excellent night vision picking up more ultraviolent ends of the spectrum. Who knows what that means in reality? But they probably see you at night long before you see them. Overall, its not really the color that matters. Its the movement and pattern.

That brings us back to the blaze hunting colors. Around 10% of men have some red-green color blind, plus the colors mute quickly in the dark. That makes red a double whammy. Another reason blue isn't used, it appears grey to black very quickly without light on it. So the object of the blaze colors is for humans to see most easily at dawn and dusk. The animals are looking for other cues to spot predators. My guess is the best hunter is probably one who is color blind! They naturally look for sizes, shapes, and movement and aren't throw off by colors.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I remember hiking in from Frenchman Creek one October morning and passed two bowhunters, one in a treestand and another walking, the tree standguy was in 100% camo and we barely saw him until I saw him move. We had blaze orange caps on and orange vests. I think the key was yes the color but also talking - yea it might have spooked a buck that otherwise could have been fair game for the hunters but talking fairly frequently and not that softly made our presence known. Sound carries pretty well in the quiet predawn hours when there is no wind. By design, archery hunters need to be closer to their prey than when using a rifle.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Forget tree stands and blinds.
Go heli-hunting.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nedryarson »

I climbed Mt Arkansas from the standard North Ridge route on Saturday and saw a couple hunters from a distance (~250yds) near treeline. Didn't think too much of it until I was confronted by one of them at my car after completing the hike. The hunter accused me and my dog of scaring all the deer or elk away when we ascended through the forest. I was initially apologetic as I was caught off guard and felt bad if I had ruined someone else's day. My dog was off leash but I had the leash with me and would have put it on had there been any indication of active wildlife in the area. When I told him this and that I hadn't seen or heard one sign of deer/elk all day, he changed his tune to "hikers should stay on trails this time of year". Knowing there was no benefit to arguing more, I told him to have a good day and resumed packing up my gear.

Did I break some kind of unwritten rule here? Has anyone else had a similar encounter?
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

nedryarson wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:59 pm I climbed Mt Arkansas from the standard North Ridge route on Saturday and saw a couple hunters from a distance (~250yds) near treeline. Didn't think too much of it until I was confronted by one of them at my car after completing the hike. The hunter accused me and my dog of scaring all the deer or elk away when we ascended through the forest. I was initially apologetic as I was caught off guard and felt bad if I had ruined someone else's day. My dog was off leash but I had the leash with me and would have put it on had there been any indication of active wildlife in the area. When I told him this and that I hadn't seen or heard one sign of deer/elk all day, he changed his tune to "hikers should stay on trails this time of year". Knowing there was no benefit to arguing more, I told him to have a good day and resumed packing up my gear.

Did I break some kind of unwritten rule here? Has anyone else had a similar encounter?
no, you didn't break any unwritten rule.

multiple use mandate of public land - everyone has the same right to be there. hunters tend to forget that, but that's usually because many hours of careful effort can be totally blown by someone else just out enjoying their hike not realizing someone else is nearby stalking game and that is understandably incredibly frustrating. it is what it is and that's the risk of public land hunting. you're fine.

that said, it is illegal to intentionally disrupt and interfere with someone who is lawfully hunting.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 288 3 24
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

The hunter might find better luck somewhere more remote than a pretty commonly traveled area off the side of a highway.

I’ve had hunters ask me to wait/keep the noise down while even on established trails before. Or ask me to give them beta on various animals I’ve seen on my hike. Many hunters I’ve encountered seem sort of lazy!!
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Sbenfield wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:24 pm The hunter might find better luck somewhere more remote than a pretty commonly traveled area off the side of a highway.

I’ve had hunters ask me to wait/keep the noise down while even on established trails before. Or ask me to give them beta on various animals I’ve seen on my hike. Many hunters I’ve encountered seem sort of lazy!!
Unfortunately, it is a sport full of lazy people. Just drive between Silverthorne and Kremmling in a month; every pullout on public land will have an orange vest just sitting with binoculars, hoping that maybe a deer will just take pity and walk up to the road.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Aphelion wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:41 pm Unfortunately, it is a sport full of lazy people. Just drive between Silverthorne and Kremmling in a month; every pullout on public land will have an orange vest just sitting with binoculars, hoping that maybe a deer will just take pity and walk up to the road.

a lot of lazy folks and bad actors in every hobby. hunting has it's fair share like any of em, no doubt.
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

LURE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:13 pm
nedryarson wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:59 pm Did I break some kind of unwritten rule here? Has anyone else had a similar encounter?
no, you didn't break any unwritten rule.

multiple use mandate of public land - everyone has the same right to be there. hunters tend to forget that, but that's usually because many hours of careful effort can be totally blown by someone else just out enjoying their hike not realizing someone else is nearby stalking game and that is understandably incredibly frustrating. it is what it is and that's the risk of public land hunting. you're fine.

that said, it is illegal to intentionally disrupt and interfere with someone who is lawfully hunting.
as per usual, agree with LURE on all points.

the last few seasons have been a little weird with the fires and the unusual weather. when coupled with the increased interest in the outdoors post-pandemic and population growth pre-pandemic, it's been slim pickins out there for a lot hunters. bummer that dude was a jerk about it, but truly... it's public land, open to the public, and for those reasons the public has to share. hike on, hunt on, just be respectful to each other.

cheers to a (hopefully) full freezer this fall :iluvbeer: