Winter hiking

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Winter hiking

Post by nyker »

As many prepare for getting out in the winter season, please be prepared.

Regardless of whether you are targeting 14ers, 13ers, or 5'ers in higher lattitudes, some common preparation and awareness is needed for the different conditions compared to balmier Fall weather hiking.

This below story/event reminds me that what might be common sense to some of us, is completely foreign to many new hikers seeking IG worthy summit shots. If you're new to cold weather hiking/mountaineering, please ask the questions you need to, stop in a gear shop and ask about local conditions, don't be shy or assume a question is stupid and research the route/mountain before you venture out and don't assume you're phone will have reception or battery will last.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors ... -ride.html

I spoke to someone involved in this and the hikers were completely unprepared for these sort of conditions, phones were dead so apps didn't work and the Rangers left their family Thanksgiving dinner to go "rescue" them.
Marcy is generally an easier peak with a trail, though is 15 miles r/t and iced over boulders and snow makes things harder and more time consuming. It's been winter conditions for a month here and was 3 degrees F at trailhead elevations this past week and harsher higher up especially on those peaks above treeline.

Good luck out there!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Winter hiking

Post by timisimaginary »

"called the rangers for a ride"? what did they expect, Uber service from the summit? sometimes i have to reconsider my "don't charge rescue fees" opinion after reading stories like these.

rule of thumb during winter: get the overnight forecast and pack whatever you need to survive the night in current conditions.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, not clear if they expected an airlift or what
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Do it for the 'gram. Can I hike a 14er in winter in my microwave with a Bang? My followers will eat that sh!t up.