Hydration bladder when winter hiking

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Hydration bladder when winter hiking

Post by mgl45 »

To prevent freeze ups, I am wondering if anyone has tried the technique of storing the hose on the inside of your jacket?

My understanding from the video I watched is the warm water in the part of the hose in your jacket is supposed to prevent the water in the rest of the hose from freezing.

I've tried the "blowing out the water" tactic but that seems like become ineffective below 20 degrees or so.

Thanks much for any information anyone can offer!
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hydration bladder when winter hiking

Post by WanderingJim »

I've tried both the blow out the water in the hose trick and putting it inside my jacket.

In really cold weather (maybe below 10-20 degrees F), putting it inside my jacket works the best. Does make me a little front heavy.

The blow the water back into the bladder works okay during other temperatures.

You do have to remember to clear the hose out of water and then disconnect it from the bladder overnight. I usually wrap it in my spare down jacket (I usually take two down jackets in the winter so I can let one dry out when I reach camp). Sometimes the valve still freezes and I have to warm it up a bit first.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

When it's below about 20f I'll have a camelback with just the water bladder and hose. I'll wear an underarmor base layer, then the camelback, then put insulating and shell layers over it. I'll still blow out the line. Keeping it within the insulation keeps it lukewarm, though it takes a bit of getting used to having a pack on over the camelback.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Best way is to have an insulated hose and bladder, put a hand warmer or two in the insulated bladder compartment. Keep it in your pack, close to your body.

Keeping the hose exposed to the elements doesn't work very well in cold temperatures.

I guess you could add salt to your water if you wanted to lower the freezing point slightly.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

XterraRob wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:22 am Best way is to have an insulated hose and bladder, put a hand warmer or two in the insulated bladder compartment. Keep it in your pack, close to your body.

Keeping the hose exposed to the elements doesn't work very well in cold temperatures.

I guess you could add salt to your water if you wanted to lower the freezing point slightly.
If you’re gonna do that, just put some booze in there. I was gonna make an ethylene glycol joke, but some people might take it seriously.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

water bottle. there is a (really good) reason you don't see mountaineers using bladders...
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Just say no to bladders in the winter. They will freeze no matter what you do if cold enough. Bottles are the way, with insulation if needed for colder temps. I use Nalgenes. Store them upside down as water freezes at top. Usually wrapping them in clothes will work. If really cold, you need to break out the bottle-specific insulation carriers.

I've actually quit bladders in the summer too, I use smartwater bottles and a sawyer squeeze, that way I can cut down on carried weight as I drink a lot of water. Approaches usually have water sources and I tank up at tree line. Then I can refill when I get back to tree line for the hike out.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

I gave up on using a hydration bladder in the winter quite a while ago. Instead, I use an insulated belt carrier for my 32oz bottle and then I have another bottle in a fleece pouch that is in my pack. At the half-way point of the journey, I then switch out bottles during my break. Works well for me.
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Same here. I don't use bladders in Winters. Instead, I use Double-Wall Vacuum Bottles. I've had mine from Columbia for years. Keeps liquids from freezing in winter and keeps liquids cool in summer.
I should be on a mountain
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Bottles are the preferred method in winter. However, depending on your situation, a bladder might work. My winter outings aren't very long especially in bitter cold so I'm not out much more than 4-5 hours. My method is to keep the bladder in my pack close to my back. Keeps the water warmer anyway. Its the tubing. I can weave it under my hood and into the front of my jacket to keep the nozzle from freezing. Only a few inches of hose is exposed to the air. To keep that from freezing I have to sip on the water periodically depending on conditions. I've gotten pretty good at it! And since I don't drink enough water anyway it forces me to drink more. Its not 100% foolproof, but pretty close!

If you can't get the hose under your hood you can try wrapping it under your shoulder and into the front of your jacket. It leaves a lot more tubing exposed. Once I wrapped a scarf around me and the hose and it worked ok, but it might have been conditions weren't cold enough. If you're wearing a balaclava and no hood you can tuck it under that. Works great! You'll quickly figure out how often you have to suck water to keep it from freezing.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Thanks everyone for all the advice!
John619
14ers: 16  7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

Nalgene quart water bottles placed in a insulated container and carried upside down so the cap is at the bottom has worked on all my cold weather trips the past 50 years or so...