InReach troubles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: InReach troubles

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Install Garmin Express on your desktop/laptop and then link your Garmin to the PC with the USB cord. GE should recognize your device. It may ask for some setup info (it's been a while since I set up a new device so I don't remember for sure). It should then automatically search for updates and all you need to do is click Install.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Ok thanks everyone. I'll update the software, delete tracks and will report back. I like Inreach, it's been very reliable until last 6 months basically.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

The sucker shut down on me again several times (flips to "transmit every 4 hours from 10 min"). This is after I deleted 150 old tracks and re-cynced it multiple times (i.e. updated software). Trigger seems to be cold/wind, duh. Guess have to deal with customer service again :cry:
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

SnowAlien wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:05 am The sucker shut down on me again several times (flips to "transmit every 4 hours from 10 min"). This is after I deleted 150 old tracks and re-cynced it multiple times (i.e. updated software). Trigger seems to be cold/wind, duh. Guess have to deal with customer service again :cry:
Syncing does not necessarily update device firmware on some other Garmin devices so I'd verify in the device settings that that firmware version matches the latest from online. Looks like it should be Firmware Version 3.2 released March 31, 2022 as the most recent.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Yeak, at least on my older version, syncing is not the same as a firmware update. As I recall a firmware update has a distinct orange trimmed screen notice, maybe yellow? There's also a manual start/download button on the screen that pops up, i.e. it's not automatic. Good luck.

-Tom
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

SnowAlien wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:05 am Ok thanks everyone. I'll update the software, delete tracks and will report back. I like Inreach, it's been very reliable until last 6 months basically.
Natalie can you only delete tracks when the device is plugged into your computer? i was searching for a way to do this online and couldn't find it
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

stephakett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:21 pm
SnowAlien wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:05 am Ok thanks everyone. I'll update the software, delete tracks and will report back. I like Inreach, it's been very reliable until last 6 months basically.
Natalie can you only delete tracks when the device is plugged into your computer? i was searching for a way to do this online and couldn't find it
You need to log in at https://inreach.garmin.com, make whatever changes you want (e.g., add/delete waypoints, etc.), and then use Sync to get those changes transferred onto the InReach. If you don't use Sync, you will have made changes that didn't get copied to your inReach.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

I had to do a hard reset and manual firmware update on mine to get the update to take. It was a slight pita and customer service had to walk me through it. Been working fine ever since.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:44 pm
stephakett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:21 pm
You need to log in at https://inreach.garmin.com, make whatever changes you want (e.g., add/delete waypoints, etc.), and then use Sync to get those changes transferred onto the InReach. If you don't use Sync, you will have made changes that didn't get copied to your inReach.
thank you!!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis