The "Space Shuttle" Water Jug Strategy? Am i only one?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

The "Space Shuttle" Water Jug Strategy? Am i only one?

Post by jibler »

I have found that i get sick of breaking out the water filtration hardware - so instead i do what I call the "space shuttle jug" strategy

(in honor of that huge fuel tank they blast off with at liftoff)

i have two large water bottles in my backpack - and then i have a half + filled gallon milk jug of water that I'm sipping on as I'm hiking in.

i then place the jug in the shade ( or in a small stream ideally) - about halfway into the hike

and use that as refuel for the way back. no stopping or messing around with a pump required.

who's with me on this technique?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: The "Space Shuttle" Water Jug Strategy? Am i only one?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

No way!
That’s the jug I always find on a peak to pee in!

Amaze balls
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:38 pm No way!

Amaze balls
LOL
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

i actually always make sure to stash the jug for just that very reason.

I am not kidding.

The jug is secure.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

HikerGuy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:45 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:38 pm No way!

Amaze balls
LOL
Phish fans and their lemonade....space shuttle stuff for sure
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

well - this was actually a legit thread but it seems like joking at my expense is a thing around here

good times.

have a great weekend everyone!
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I’ve cached water in the desert before, but not in the mountains. But it always nice to keep things easy and light for the last part of the day.
I love lamp.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

So you mean you leave trash laying about hoping to pick it up later? No, I don't do that strategy, if I see a bottle I dump it out and take it with me, because it's trash. A filter is lighter than carrying a bottle of water halfway through a hike and leaving it somewhere, plus if you get into an emergency and are separated from you stash then you have your filter. ](*,)
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

supranihilest wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:37 pm if I see a bottle I dump it out and take it with me, because it's trash.
I don't have skin in the game but as far as I can tell from searching this forum, the community consensus is that your behavior is unwise and possibly unacceptable/dangerous, and jibler's behavior is acceptable and possibly wise. The idea being that somebody might really be counting on and need that water.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

JaredJohnson wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:50 pm
supranihilest wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:37 pm if I see a bottle I dump it out and take it with me, because it's trash.
I don't have skin in the game but as far as I can tell from searching this forum, the community consensus is that your behavior is unwise and possibly unacceptable/dangerous, and jibler's behavior is acceptable and possibly wise. The idea being that somebody might really be counting on and need that water.
I am aware. I don't have the ability to discern between trash and a stash so I treat it as trash. Other gear, camp gear, etc. I leave alone. If it's labeled I leave it alone. Regardless it is poor strategy to rely on a stash like this. If the person/party in question runs out of water early, becomes injured, takes a different route down, etc., then what?
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

I made the switch this year from Nalgene bottles and a Katadyn Pump Filter to a Sawyer Squeeze and 1L Smart Water Bottles. Works very well, much smaller, lighter, and faster. The Sawyer squeeze is less than $35. Smart water /bottles are around $2. I have been using the same 2 bottles for over 2 months now.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

JaredJohnson wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:50 pm
Stashing gear for 14ers is always unwise as the approaches are generally easy and not that long. Even snow shoes. I've stashed my skis before, it's a practice I've gotten away from as now I'll snowshoe if I can't ski off the summit.

If people are to make a stash, their name, date stash was made and latest date they would conceivably pickup the stash should be on it. I'm hard pressed to think of a colorado peak bagging adventure where a stash would be needed though. Even thru hiking the major trails, stashes in remote places are not needed. Otherwise, it is good of people to haul other people's trash out.