Electrolyte drink

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Electrolyte drink

Post by nyker »

Looking for some good recommendations on an electrolyte.

Ideally one that has the minimal stomach or GI impact and not filled with added sugar/stevia. Powder or tablets are both good.
If there is one particularly suited better to helping acclimatize to high altitudes even better.

I've always used Vitalyte (the old Gookinaid) which seems to be more popular in the Sierra mountaineering community. This seemed to always work well but I'm thinking it contributes to some GI issues I have up a mountain on certain days. I've used Gatorade in a pinch but there's too much sugar and when I dilute it it tastes weird.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Electrolyte drink

Post by disentangled »

Try LMNT. The unflavored version has nothing else in it except salt, magnesium, and potassium. I make my own, though, with good quality pink salt, ionic magnesium, and powdered potassium chloride. It's not rocket science to figure out the right proportions, just don't overdo the potassium.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I use Propel - made by the makers of Gatorade but has no sugar. Several flavors I like (Kiwi strawberry, grape, berry, etc)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

I like good old pedialyte. You can get it in a box of single-use powder packets just like the expensive boutique brands. I especially appreciate that it comes in simple flavors like cherry or grape, when all the fancy brands can’t seem to resist combining flavors so you get something like Watermelon Blackberry Cola or Pink Lemonade Mango. I don’t know how it compares in exact ratios or formulations of minerals, but I figure it’s better than something that tastes too disgusting to drink.

If I want something with calories too, I’ll go with Tailwind. I usually get the cola flavor, but sometimes I’ll add a little cherry kool-aid to get a cherry cola flavor and make it more palatable. I’m thinking of trying the naked flavor and then using kool-aid to mix in the flavors I prefer.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

I’m a big fan of Nuun. Good variety of flavors but I stick with lemon-lime and strawberry lemonade.
Alan Arnette
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Colroado-based Honey Stinger has a nice selection.
HokieTom
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

I use Ultima electrolyte mix…………….

Post by HokieTom »

No sugar and great flavors. I like Lemonade, grape, watermelon, and cherry. They are for 16.9 ounce water bottles and available from Amazon.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I've used a variety over the years and tend to favor Fizz or Nuun tablets. Super easy to use in the field and I think better than water esp in really hot areas.

-Tom
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks everyone, I'll look into some of these.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I like Emergen-C hydration powder. Even the original Emergen-C immune thingy powder has lots of electrolytes... way more than a standard Gatorade. Walmart has a knock-off product which is even cheaper. Anything more expensive than that is a waste of money. Easy to carry, dissolves in a jiffy, tastes fine. Its my go-to. If you need more, take 2. Compare to Pedialyte and others and you can't go wrong.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

TANG
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

FYI, electrolyte absorption can be impaired without glucose present. Having said that, you’ll still absorb them just not necessarily as effectively. Depends a lot on duration, RPE, what you ate that morning, etc. We need glucose. A lot of us just take in too much of it when we don’t need it.

Also, I recommend salt tabs for electrolyte replacement. Can dip a filter bottle into a stream and just quickly pop 2 tabs. Works great.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring