Electrolyte drink

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ultimategully
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Electrolyte drink

Post by ultimategully »

I use liquid IV. It has added sugar but I find the additional sugar is easily and quickly burnt when I am hiking/scrambling/climbing.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

ultimategully wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:21 am I use liquid IV. It has added sugar but I find the additional sugar is easily and quickly burnt when I am hiking/scrambling/climbing.
+1. I use that as well. I think there is some research that suggests some sugar actually aids in the bodies absorption of the water "Glucose does help transport sodium, chloride, and water across the intestinal barrier." As long as the sugar content is low I am ok with it and honestly in the mountains, I need all of the readily absorbed calories I can get.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I've started using some Skratch Labs products without GI upset during longer distance triathlons. In years past I've managed to puke neon from a sugary mixture of sports drinks and gels.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

+1 for Skratch Labs. Lot of good reviews in the ultrarunning community, it's a bit pricey but if you got pro deals it comes at a good price.
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

+1 for Skratch Labs and some days I will use Tailwind as well. Seems similar to Skratch but is caffeinated.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Training for my fourth PPA, and the Zion 50k. I use non-caffeinated Tailwind. I love coffee, but there's something weird about the synthetic caffeine in Tailwind and Skratch. I avoid those...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Electrolyte caps. Easy to adapt to any effort/heat/personal sweat content, ultra cheap, ultra light, no mixing, and taste is not a factor.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Ideally one that has the minimal stomach or GI impact
What are your symptoms? If you’re feeling sick drinking water mixed with whatever, I’d say leave out the whatever.

If I’m getting muscle cramps, it often seems to be magnesium, and taking the cheap pills with meals for a few days before a big effort fixes it. Salt pills are also painless. Of course, for maximum effort I use Powerthirst.
Shaller13
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaller13 »

Might be frowned upon but I like sugarfree Powerade.

I have not had a soda in a few years and now even a standard Gatorade/Powerade will upset me. Sugarfree has been my beverage of choice even when not hiking.
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
crispy_asparagus
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crispy_asparagus »

Trioral rehydration packets. It’s the exact formula recommended by the world health organization. It’s more effective than other brands I’ve tried and without the hype.

You set yourself up to feel great for hours when you hydrate with electrolytes and a liter of water before you hit the trail. Later in the day is a must as well.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

crispy_asparagus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:05 pm You set yourself up to feel great for hours when you hydrate with electrolytes and a liter of water before you hit the trail.
100%. You will be surprised at how much hydration has to do with your overall energy levels.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

+1 more for Skratch!