Ultralight Backpacking Tent Recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ultralight Backpacking Tent Recommendations?

Post by desertdog »

Check out the Zpacks Free Duo. Warning they have raised their prices from when I purchased and its super expensive! But it fits your criteria exactly. I have had mine for years and love it. Check the reviews for this tent. https://zpacks.com/products/free-duo-freestanding-tent
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

When it comes to ultralight gear recommendations, check out what the Thru hiking community is using. Just google PCT or CDT thru hiker gear list and you should find what you are looking for. A couple of the stand outs have been mentioned. For the minimal extra weight it is worth a 2 person version for the extra space and dual vestibules.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 141
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

A lot of thru hikers are into tarps and non-freestanding shelters to really minimize weight, so keep that in mind.

I also must caution against anything Zpacks as they have several negatives about them that I learned during my time in the outdoor industry, even though DCF is the best performing tent fabric choice imo (just pricey and questionable durability depending on the weight aka get at least 1.0oz per sq yd)

https://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-1s/
https://www.nemoequipment.com/collectio ... /dragonfly

You can also scourge the following for used shelters:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ULgeartrade/
Last edited by zootloopz on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

nyker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:31 pm Look into the Hilleberg Soulo. It's a little pricey but it meets all your other criteria and can withstand winter or winter like conditions. And it's pretty lightweight all things equal and fairly easy to pitch.
This.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is what I use. A great lightweight tent, but at 6'2" I'm pretty crammed in it. A downside is the tiny vestibule.
But i do wish I had gotten the 2 person version.

Another great option for good weather overnights is a bivy. My borah gear bivy is like 8 ounces.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i had a Big Agnes Windy Point 1 (freestanding- about 3#) which i got rid of in an effort to save weight on the CT. i used a trekking pole supported Durston XMid1 (2#) and absolutely hated it. after a few nights i sold it and switched to an REI Quarterdome SL2 (2.5#) and i’m happy with the switch. it weighs just a little bit more than the 1P version, a little bit less than my original backpacking tent— and there’s so much more room.. 1P tents feel like coffins too me so my advice is 2P, double-wall, 3-season, freestanding (or at least semi-freestanding). another good one is the nemo hornet 2P (2# - that was my first choice but it was sold out when i needed to purchase)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

I picked up a Nemo Dragonfly 2 this spring for backpacking. While I haven’t tested in snow yet, it was absolutely solid on a cool, rainy early season Four Pass loop and held up extremely well in an exposed monsoon surge a couple weeks ago.

Dual vestibules that easily protected my 55L pack and boots. Color coded poles-grommets-clips make setting it up in low light or headlamp super simple. Staked down it was fine in moderate wind and downpour, but does move around in the wind… as most tents in the category do. Used a night freestanding, the bathtub floor can be a bit noisy that way.

Happy with this tent, have read positive reviews about using it in and in snow, will be my go-to three season option for years to come.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

Tarptent and Dan Durston are probably the top ultra light tent manufacturers in the market today. Goassamer Gear has a couple good options as well.
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

I agree on the Tarptent brand. I have 2 different ones. Can't comment on any other brands. Reading some of these posts, I guess everyone has their own definition for "ultralight". I consider no-more-than 2 lbs. to be ultralight. The Tarptents also look to be a little cheaper than a lot of the other models mentioned. I carried a 1 person "Rainbow" (slightly over 2 lbs.) on my thru hike of the CT in 2013. Very spacious. Small vestibule, but the interior is big enough that you can keep all of your stuff in the tent. Single wall, but didn't have any condensation issues, as it is well ventilated. Don't let the Tarptent name fool you. These tents are available with floors and netting.
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

marksilas wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:19 pm Reading some of these posts, I guess everyone has their own definition for "ultralight". I consider no-more-than 2 lbs. to be ultralight.
I think the tent manufacturers themselves create some confusion. Nemo does market the hornet and dragonfly as “ultralight.” That’s probably relative to an “average” two wall freestanding packable tent.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

I really like our MSR Freelite 2. 2lbs. 5oz. packaged weight

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/backpacki ... 11512.html

There is also a one man version...
https://www.msrgear.com/tents/backpacki ... 11511.html
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I've enjoyed my Six Moon Lunar Solo (1.4lb w/o pole). I'm 5'11" and it's the perfect size me. Yes it is just a little cramped compared to my past 2-man tents but that's how they get to the low weight. Vestibule is large enough for an overnight pack and muddy shoes. My only complaint is that mine is solid green and it takes a little time to find the top when I first pull it out. It's a small thing but simply making the bottom a different color would make setup just that much easier. But hey, it does have a bottom. Oh yeah, and don't forget to bring a ski pole.
Roll No Rocks