Water quality at Lake Como

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Water quality at Lake Como

Post by Altitude High »

Has anyone drank the water at Lake Como after treating it? I usually use Aqua Mira but also have a Pur Hiker filter.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Water quality at Lake Como

Post by justiner »

You'll probably be fine. I personally would source water from the creek the flows up above into Lake Como, but that's just me.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Altitude High wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm Has anyone drank the water at Lake Como after treating it? I usually use Aqua Mira but also have a Pur Hiker filter.
I used a hollow fiber filter to fill my bottles with lake water before doing the traverse last week. No adverse effects but there was a noticeable bad taste. The water was extremely cold so I wasn't too worried. Filtering from a fast running stream will almost always result in better water if you don't want to be lazy like me.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I seem to remember that we filtered water from a creek while we were there, but maybe we filtered lake water. Either way we had no problems with it.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

It didn't look too pretty whenever I was there. I'm sure its ok, but with a summer's worth of hikers and campers and whatever they do around the area I decided to get water from the streams above. There are also lakes above it that looked MUCH better!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.