Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by highpilgrim »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm How many others here do trades with folks around the country?
Beer travels well in luggage. I have Plineys coming my way right now. ;)

And if you don’t tell them, FedEx ships beer just fine.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm
Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm How many others here do trades with folks around the country?

Plineys you say??? I'm jealous! I wish RR shipped. =D>
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm Kinda curious. How many others here do trades with folks around the country? I have four others I do trades with (North Dakota, Michigan, New York & North Carolina). Works pretty good too! :)
What do you get from North Dakota that is unique? ND beers or also MN and MT?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Dakota wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm Kinda curious. How many others here do trades with folks around the country? I have four others I do trades with (North Dakota, Michigan, New York & North Carolina). Works pretty good too! :)
Drekker makes some the BEST fruited sours, fruited smoothie sours & fruited IPA's I've ever had. Amazingly, I found a small selection at Hazel's in Boulder.
And Blackstack makes DIPA's and TIPA's that I would put up against Cerebral and Weldwerks.

The app, Untappd is worth its weight in malt & barley! :wink:
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:35 pm
Dakota wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Drekker makes some the BEST fruited sours, fruited smoothie sours & fruited IPA's I've ever had. Amazingly, I found a small selection at Hazel's in Boulder.
And Blackstack makes DIPA's and TIPA's that I would put up against Cerebral and Weldwerks.

The app, Untappd is worth its weight in malt & barley! :wink:
Nice! Thanks for the share, I'll look for some Drekker and Blackstack next time I'm up there. I think I have only had one Drekker before. If you can, keep an eye out for my buddy's brewery, Atypical Brewery & Barrelworks. I like his beers and not trying to be too biased. I also like some Buffalo Commons beers out fo Mandan.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Plineys you say??? I'm jealous! I wish RR shipped. =D>
Kiefer,
The Pliny he speaks of was purchased in Denver by me. He's wrong only that I haven't packed yet.
Russian River doubled production of Pliny a while ago. Since then, it's been consistently available in Denver on tap and in bottles.
IDK whether that's reached San Miguel County. Maybe make some calls to Gunnison? Over the years, that town has seemed to have a line on out-of-state beers not available further south in CO, for whatever reason.

As far as trading goes, the Pilgrim is my only go-to. I just use Untappd like LoJ, not like Facebook and most of the ppl I know there are from this site and live in CO.
(Not that I would tell someone "no." I just don't pursue it)
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

What are y'all drinking these days? 90% of the time, I'm drinking IPAs.

IPA drinkers, do you prefer West Coast or New England style IPAs? I find West Coast IPAs to be a lot more consistent in palatability. New England IPAs, there are some fantastic ones, and then some real stinkers.

Lastly, if you purchase a 6 pack of cans, do you make sure to drink the IPA from the can as Alchemist Beer insists is the way to do it (at least with Hedy Topper and some of their other beers), or do you always pour it into a glass?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Craft Pilsners for me lately. Melvin Brewing up in Jackson has an amazing one aptly named the Pilsgnar.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm What are y'all drinking these days?
Hash oil infused mescal. And ether soaked rags under the gas pedal.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm (...), or do you always pour it into a glass?
Anything goes, as long as you drink it on the private beach in front of the mansion provided by the People, while feigning fiscal conservatism.
Icarus_Christie.jpg
Icarus_Christie.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

All the real beer drinkers seem to prefer IPAs but they’re just too much brew for me. I have a hard time with the spicy taste and high ABV.

I do enjoy lighter ales and my current favorites are Big Wave Golden Ale, Fire Rock Pale Ale, and Blonde Ale from Kona Brewing.

As to cans, I avoid them at all cost. It’s bottles or no beer for me. Not sure why maybe because I grew up in the south surrounded by rednecks drinking Budweiser in cans and tossing the empties out the windows of their trucks. I’ve had brewers tell me beer tastes better from cans but I suspect they want to move production to cans because it’s cheaper. Always follow the money. Ska True Blonde was my favorite beer for many years but all production is now in cans which I won’t buy.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
brousseau
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brousseau »

For me, it's impossible to have a favorite beer. I generally go for IPA's but rotate through Stouts and lighter beers (hefeweizen or saison).

What's been in my beer fridge this year?

IPA: Hop Peak, Titan, India Pale Ale, All Day IPA

Stout: Sad Panda, Breakfast Stout, Guinness

Lighter: Colette Farmhouse Ale, Paulaner Hefeweizen
Instagram: @jbparker_co